High Needs Baby Support Group (thread IV)

(961 Posts)

Yoohooo! Over here!

<Waves>

The last thread was filling up so I've started us a sparkling new one.

The original thread was to support those of us with babies fitting the following criteria:

1. Feeds frequently daytime
2. Feeds frequently nighttime
3. Needs to be constantly held
4. Wont sleep alone
5. Hates the car seat/pram
6. Short naps

Some of our babies have grown out of some of those now, but we're still here to support each other through the sleepless nights and noisy car journeys and to offer hugs, chocolate and wine to anyone who's struggling.

So if that list sounds familiar then come and join us as we delight in our active, inquisitive, curious and restless babies or toddlers!

LittleToyMakingMachine Wed 05-Dec-12 10:09:46

Tickle, sorry to hear about your poorly one too sad

Sorry to hear about poorly ones, it's horrid when they're ill.

Ds2 slept for all of 45 between midnight and now. I am a zombie. I don't know how he does it. DH wants to try him in his own room as he seems to smell me and wants to be on me/awake all night. I'm willing to give it a go now. I'm grabbing the cocktail sticks to start the degunging of the guest room/nursery.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Wed 05-Dec-12 21:42:03

Cocktail sticks? confused

The BBC didn't use the photos in the end but the interview was good.

Little is right, you need to look after yourself as well. Atm DH is sleeping on the sofa so that DS doesn't disturb him, and he has DD's monitor so that she doesn't disturb me and DS. Is something like that an option, do you have a spare room or a sofabed?

I used the sticks to prop my eyes open grin hope everyone is having a good night.

paperclips Wed 05-Dec-12 22:22:15

Hi all, found this thread, realising my beautiful boy (10 weeks tomorrow) meets all the "high needs" criteria.

Currently sat in a dark room trying to feed/cuddle him to sleep, but after an hour he's still fidgeting and arm waving. At least he's calm now! He's recovered from another traumatic car journey earlier.

Good luck tonight everyone.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Wed 05-Dec-12 22:24:50

I was trying to work out how cocktail sticks would help you degunge a room! grin

Ladies! Hello! I lost you, but you're all still here grin Thank goodness

<hands round matchsticks and espressos; wraps a blanket around paperclips shoulders to welcome her to the clan>

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Wed 05-Dec-12 22:27:37

Hi paperclips, make yourself at home. smile Have you tried swaddling?

LittleToyMakingMachine Wed 05-Dec-12 22:45:14

Swaddling worked well for us from about 8-15 weeks old. There's a great swaddle if you search on YouTube. I think it's the first one to come up on google when you search (sorry can't link to YouTube from phone). I was finally able to put DS down at night when we swaddled him. I held him continuously for 8 weeks.

Still wide awake here...

Natmu Thu 06-Dec-12 02:55:49

Hi everyone,
Hope all the poorly lo's are doing better tonight. Just an update, I saw the GP about DS2's reflux and she prescribed ranitidine but felt it didn't warrant a referral and told me it was probably nothing to do with what I was eating. She also said the same about his eczema and gave us a different cream to try.

Yesterday we went to hospital to FINALLY get DS1 tested for allergies (he's 4.8) so I asks lovely Mr Registrar what his advice would be re DS2 and he says they look at 3 things eczema, colic and reflux and if baby has at least 2 of them they diagnose dairy allergy! So as DS2 has all 3 his advice is to try non-dairy diet for 2 weeks (as you good people suggested) and note any differences and seek a referral from highly knowledgable GP for further discussion/ testing. Hurrah!

Now I have lots of questions though. What exactly do I need to avoid? I mean there's lots of obvious stuff but what are the hidden things I should look for on ingredients lists? He mentioned supplements but what do you non-dairyers take? Any good recipes you could recommend? I think breakfast is going to be hardest as I have either toast ( and butter) or cereal (and milk).

ticklemyboobsofsteel Thu 06-Dec-12 07:42:45

Welcome paperclips smile <waves at Truth>

Little sleep for any of us last night. DS so congested, has such a nasty cough. I spent half the night with him, and DH came in at 3am to let me try and get an hour or two before I go to work. Ended up back in with him at 5.30am for some milk and then he was awake for the day at about 6am. He's currently snuggled on the sofa with DH as I have to start getting ready soon sad sad sad Hate having to leave him while he's not well.

Sorry I'm not able to catch up properly with the thread right now - will try again later on if I get some time at work.

Hope all the poorly babies, mums and dads are feeling better and you all had a better night than we did! It really makes me appreciate how far DS has come sleep-wise. Nights like last night used to be the norm even when he was well!

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 06-Dec-12 07:42:53

Going dairy-free is really daunting at first but it's not as hard as it seems. smile Are you cutting out soya as well? I was told to when I first cut out dairy as so many children are sensitive to both (apparently the proteins in soya are very similar to the proteins in milk and the baby's body can't distinguish them). Anyway, if you're not then there are loads of soya-based substitutes - Tesco even has it's own range of soya milk, cream, cheese and yogurt.

If you are cutting out soya as well then there are 3 main milk substitutes - rice milk (not suitable for young children to consume), oat milk or Kara (coconut milk, but doesn't taste coconutty). You can buy oat cream - all of these are usually either in the Free From section at the supermarket or with the long-life milks.

As for supplements I take calcium and vitamin D (you won't believe how hard I had to look to find supplements without soya in!).

Things to avoid on ingredients lists: milk, butter, cream, whey, caseine. If you're going soya-free your bread options will be rather limited as almost all breads have soya flour in, although there are a few wholemeal ones that don't,

The Allergies board on here is really good, and there's a long-running thread for surprise treats that are dairy-free (bourbon biscuits, hobnobs, Sainsburys basic garlic bread etc).

I hope that helps and isn't too overwhelming! smile

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 06-Dec-12 07:47:12

I forgot to say, instead of butter we have the Pure sunflower margarine, or you could have Stork (I think).

And for Christmassy things, Lidl mince pies are fine, and both Sainsburys and Tesco do Free From mince pies. Sainsburys Free From Christmas pudding is also ok. Birds custard powder (the tin, not the instant stuff) is fine if you make it up with a milk substitute.

Natmu Thu 06-Dec-12 19:30:45

Oh Joyful thank you so much! It is very daunting and yes I've been told avoid soya as well for the reason you said. I've hardly eaten anything today because I've been so worried it's going to be the wrong thing. I didn't realise so much bread had soya in it.

Lots of people have said I should just put him on hypoallergenic formula today and part of me feels so down about it all that I'm wondering if I should. I feel like I'm putting milk into him which is poisoning him in some way. Bit over dramatic I know but that's how it feels sad

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 06-Dec-12 19:51:32

I felt like that too, but cutting out dairy and soya made a big difference very quickly. I was told it could take up to 4 weeks but it was only about 1 week before all DS' symptoms had disappeared. Would it help if you wrote down things that you need a substitute for and I'll do my best to suggest alternatives? Feel free to PM me if that's easier. smile

LittleToyMakingMachine Thu 06-Dec-12 19:55:09

I'm so tired.

That is all.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 06-Dec-12 20:18:29

Hugs and brew Little.

DS is screaming his head off. He's got the same cold plague as me and is teething as well. He slept for a while but then woke up and every time he tries to nurse he either cries in pain or bites down on my nipple [wince]. I've tried for an hour to settle him back to sleep - he's yawning and rubbing his eyes but just won't nurse or sleep. DH is in with him atm to see if he can settle him - if not I'll have to go back in and try again.

<shares mince pies with everyone>

LittleToyMakingMachine Thu 06-Dec-12 20:36:31

Thanks Joyful. I've got that burny eyed tiredness. Doesn't help that work is mad at the moment. Will definitely take a mince pie.
Hope your DS settles soon. I'm sitting in the nursing chair at the moment. I'm being bitten loads at the moment too. I only feed from one boob as well so it's all targeted in one place! Was your DD on the news the other day?

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Thu 06-Dec-12 20:48:29

No, the BBC didn't use the photos in the end!

DS is very snotty and congested and apparently unable to nurse atm so I've given up for now - he's snuggled up with me in the dark in the living room, watching the football. Sometimes he dozes off like this so fingers crossed!

Poor you having all the feeding and biting concentrated on one side, that must be tricky.

Nightmoves Thu 06-Dec-12 20:58:40

Yum mince pies. Thank you!

DS also teething. So unsettled. He wants to nurse non-stop but seems to be refraining from biting for the most part. So sore, I feel for you ladies... He won't settle to sleep tho. Last night was dreadful, me and DH using those matchsticks today. He has had calpol (an hour ago) and teething granules but looks like we are in for another stonker tonight regardless.

No sofa bed. We have spare room. I am tempted to decamp there myself on air mattress and see how DS is in cot. Maybe proximity to milk isn't helping? On the other hand, his longest periods of sleep are when I am next to him between say 1-4, usually anyway. But maybe this would be the case anyway? Who knows. Too tired to think about it.

Hope everyone has a good night.

LittleToyMakingMachine Thu 06-Dec-12 21:36:02

Night do you have the Ashton and Parsons teething powders? I find them the best ones.
Hope everyone gets some sleep tonight. Hugs all round. Friday tomorrow grin

LittleToyMakingMachine Thu 06-Dec-12 21:38:12

Sorry Joyful I missed your message. That's a shame about your DD! I suppose the important thing is getting the message across.
I don't mind one sided nursing. I do mind standing up and walking all over me nursing! hmm

Goodnight.

Nightmoves Thu 06-Dec-12 21:47:05

Little can't seem to get those at the mo in my neck of the woods. Am using Nelsons to see what they're like. Thought he seemed a bit calmer during the day but obviously no use at night. Hope burning eyes get a lovely rest and are nice and refreshed in the morning.

Natmu Fri 07-Dec-12 02:05:17

Night I've had trouble getting them as well. My friend tells me you can only get them online now. She said to try Boots online.

TheJoyfulChristmasJumper Fri 07-Dec-12 08:32:29

I think the Ashton and Parsons ones were withdrawn for a while but I'm sure I've seen some recently, I'll keep an eye out. They've never done anything for either of my two but I have friends who swear by them.

We had a very restless night here as both DS and I are full of coughs and cold, and DD was wide awake singing Christmas songs at 0430!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now