How much daytime sleep does a 10 mo old need?

(6 Posts)
Moulesfrites Sat 19-Nov-11 10:50:39

My ds was quite a rubbish napper until about 8mo or so. Up until that point he would just have 30/40 min cat naps 3/4 times a day. I suspected he was overtired. However, for the past couple of months he has been having two decent naps per day, usually around 9.30 til 11 and 1.30 til 3. I actually managed to get some mnetting housework done in those times.

However I am now started to Wonder if it is too much (sigh). He has started to wake up much earlier, like around 5.30. The hv suggested restricting his daytime naps might help, but I don't really know how long he should be having during the day. He is not sleeping through at not either, however this past week we have had some success with him going til from7 til 3/4am ish,after which point we co sleep. however, I am back at work soon and if he wakes up at 5.30 there is no point in trying to go back to sleep as I will need to be up for work anyway. I'm worried this will result in chronic over tiredness for everyone.

Will restricting naps help? When will he go down to one nap per day? How does one go about dropping a nap? So confusing!

Timeoutofmind Sat 19-Nov-11 22:04:45

I think babies vary with how much sleep they need!

My DD is 10mo and has two naps a day. Around 40mins at 9ish and 1.5-2hours at 1ish. She sleeps through 7pm til about 630am so this works for her. But then again she has always seemed to need quite a lot of sleep.

The only think that we do is limit her morning nap to 40mins, just because I find that she won't settle for the afternoon nap if she has any longer.

I would have a go at waking him up early from his morning nap and see if this helps. They tend to drop this nap first anyway!

DS (1yo) had, and still does 1.5 hrs in the morning and 45mins in the afternoon, occasionally the other way around.

matana Mon 21-Nov-11 15:54:13

DS is 1yo (today!) and has a shortish morning nap (40 mins to an hour) and a longer afternoon nap (1.5 to 2 hours). He sleeps (mostly) 7.30-7.30 at night. I've heard that long morning naps have been linked to early waking in some cases. You could try moving his morning nap back later by a bit and limiting it to 40 mins or so and then leaving it 3-3.5 hours till his afternoon nap. Of course it could be a developmental reason he's waking at 5.30am. From memory my DS went through a phase like that around the same time.

cookingfat Mon 21-Nov-11 15:58:09

9mo dd has been having an hour a day, split between 2 or 3 naps. Am knackered. On the plus side, she's sleeping well at night - 630 til 630. My mum has no sympathy - apparently I dropped all my naps well before the age of one.

bigkidsdidit Mon 21-Nov-11 20:04:20

My 10 mo old generally has 9-10.30 and 1-2.15 ish. Plus 7-7 at night. Occasionally less but generally 14-15 hours total out of 24.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now