The Benedict Cumberbatch Appreciation Society: Come and Tinker With Me, Benedict!

(818 Posts)
LadyClariceCannockMonty Sat 13-Oct-12 15:26:47

Hello lovelies!

Hope the title meets with everyone's approval.

I have just one thing to say at the moment, a propos of the John Finnemore thing in the last thread: 'pub kitten'? 'pub kitten'?!!? Just how cute does that sound?

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Sun 07-Apr-13 09:32:09

Not sad in the slightest poppy grin

Lovely link Prey, how about some old skool Sherlock grin

MrsAceRimmer Sun 07-Apr-13 22:17:28

from SFX magazine
Drool and faint.

Copied from digital edition to my photobucket smile

LetUsPrey Mon 08-Apr-13 16:49:01

In addition to MrsAceRimmer's lovely link, [[http://cumberbuddy.tumblr.com/post/47454558773/new-but-not-new-poster-for-star-trek-into a Star Trek poster from SFX.

I so cannot wait for this filmgrin

LetUsPrey Mon 08-Apr-13 16:50:06

Bollocks. Try that links again

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Tue 09-Apr-13 08:45:44

Parade's End gets 7 BAFTA nominations, but no Best Actor nomination for BC. WTAF??!!! shock angry

You have GOT to be kidding me. I loved Parade's End, not just because of BC, but it would only have been half as good with someone else as Christopher. Who's on the nominating committee? F*ckwits.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 09-Apr-13 13:19:31

I'm afraid I didn't think Benedict was that great in Parade's End.

I have my hard hat on, don't worry grin

I think he was a bit miscast and possibly not well directed.

DISCLAIMER I didn't like P.E. all that much overall, although when I get time yeah right I want to watch the whole thing in a oner to see if I appreciate it any better.

Don't worry, Lady Clarice, we're a civilised lot here and won't be lobbing any rotten tomatoes in your direction. smile

I can see where you'd think that it was disjointed. I, for one, had a much better time of it watching it over the course of two nights instead of five weeks.

One month to go until ST:ID -- woo hoo!

LetUsPrey Tue 09-Apr-13 20:58:51

I really enjoyed PE but I agree that watching it in one or two sittings is an excellent idea! Thought BC was great in it and should have had a BAFTA nomination.

Oh yeah, looking forward to this grin

I love love love this picture

Hair.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 10-Apr-13 08:20:31

[[http://whatareyouwearingbenedict.tumblr.com/image/47545572754 So excited]!!!!!!!!!! grin

Also, those lips shock Daaaaim boy! <dodgy American accent>

<faints>

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 10-Apr-13 08:21:24

Oops, link fail blush

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 10-Apr-13 11:27:54

Thanks, GreenCard! I just felt that Benedict was too physically different to Christopher and too much padding had to be employed to make him physically convincing, which got in the way of the performance for me. I also think he should have been directed to focus less on the actual voice/accent/overt mannerisms and just try to 'be' Christopher from inside, if that makes any sense; sometimes his focus on the accent etc masked the character, or made him into a bit of a parody, rather than bringing him to realistic life. In later episodes when he lost the padding and seemed to relax a bit more about the voice etc (in the war scenes particularly) he was excellent and the character actually felt more believable.

Frankelly, what's the lips picture? Link won't work.

As a non-Brit, I have zero clue about accents, except maybe the difference between a posh one and a Cockney one (tip of the hat to Disney's Mary Poppins for that grin). I will also admit that I hadn't read the novels prior to watching the film, so I had only heard that Tietjens was supposed to be fat. That aside, I think BC did a marvelous job of portraying Christopher's development from being a frustrated cuckold to a man who is willing to forgo (some of) his morals in pursuit of his happiness. The scenes of him chatting with Valentine and admitting his feelings (sort of), the last Christopher-Sylvia-Valentine confrontation in the stairwell, and when he FINALLY dances with Valentine were all so spectacularly subtle.

Not sure if any of you read this, it cropped up on a FB Cumberbatch page:
Wikileaks biopic star Cumberbatch emails Julian Assange

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 10-Apr-13 13:41:26
FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Wed 10-Apr-13 21:49:58

No links, but showing off my new nn wink
(Was very infrequent poster MrsAceRimmer)
Love love love the hair one.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Thu 11-Apr-13 07:02:49

Name change approved grin

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Thu 11-Apr-13 07:14:03

Bless him and the hat. It's a bit sad he has to take time out of his schedule to keep pointing out that he's not on Twitter.

Just saw this. It's like, Sherlock wants it. Now. Come hither.

cumberbuddy.tumblr.com/post/47660011564/deareje-a-few-more-setlock

I know Cumberbuddy is all about the first photo (RappingBatch), but I like #3 -- PapalBlessingBatch. The only Problem with that, is the whole celibacy Thing. But we all know from history that where there's a will...

Love the peek-a-boo thermals under the PSoS.

Bonus Martin in the last one. Looks like he tried to sneak a fart but failed.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Fri 12-Apr-13 08:25:22

Recycled costumes... Check out #6 and #11!

LetUsPrey Fri 12-Apr-13 23:26:55

Love all these links!

Who's looking forward to Star Trek then? I'm going watching it with my friend at an IMAX cinema.

Can't. Wait.

FrankellyMyDearIDontGiveADamn Sat 13-Apr-13 17:00:14

Holy crap, that first one Prey, <faints>. I don't have an IMAX near me, but we're going to New York on holiday a week after ST:ID comes out.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now