Wow - Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorcing!

(114 Posts)
thequietone Fri 29-Jun-12 18:31:41

Well I never...

nellypackedhertrunk Sat 28-Jul-12 23:30:06

I heard some juicy gossip today (totally unsubstantiated tho) that TC has been at Pinewood studios this week and auditioned a British actress to be his wife - she thought it was a film role but turned out to be the role of his wife in real life.

Not sure if TC is even in England at the moment and I can't believe this could happen again but just putting my twopennyworth in.

Boggler Wed 25-Jul-12 17:45:42

Oh no not George! He can't be - but hey what do I know :-)

itsjustmeanon Wed 25-Jul-12 17:44:22

George Clooney.

Boggler Wed 25-Jul-12 17:37:01

Ok itsjustmeanon who's GC? I can't think of anyone..

itsjustmeanon Wed 25-Jul-12 17:34:46

I've got nothing to add to this thread, but loved reading it. I so think TC and GC are gay.

amandine07 Mon 16-Jul-12 11:12:36

I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did...I remember when they first got it together, there was talk of KH signing up to some sort of 'contract' for the marriage (pre-nup anyone...?).

I remember, back in 2005 KH had been engaged to that actor from American Pie for ages, can't remember his name...suddenly she pops up with TC, engaged 5 mins later, KH with a gormless look on her face saying how utterly "Ah-mazing" everything was...seemed more like she'd had a lobotomy.

I still remember Dawson's Creek very well, the actors were all around my age, playing characters much younger. All those ernest speeches they used to give to each other LOL.

KH was gorgeous as Joey, although in RL came over as quite insipid and a bit too child-like. I remember thinking Michelle Williams came across as much more savvy and grown-up beyond her years.

Apologies, gone OT on a DC nostalgic trip!

perceptionreality Thu 05-Jul-12 19:43:08

Yes but we do know he's heavily into scientology and she's not. I think that's the crux of the issue.

Cheriefroufrou Thu 05-Jul-12 19:27:02

and if she does end up mostly with KH, she will be mostly away from her siblings, which I think is a consideration

Cheriefroufrou Thu 05-Jul-12 19:26:32

"You can't possibly judge someone's parenting based upon pictures from the Daily Mail for exampl"

I'm actually saying that we shouldn't judge EITHER of their parenting based on our opinions of their marriage

he is obviously the media baddie in the break up, that doesn't mean that she would necessarily be the best parent custody wise, we don't know which one would!

perceptionreality Thu 05-Jul-12 19:12:04

Cheriefrou - but although that was your experience (and I can appreciate you felt that way) there are some children who might be happy having a less conventinal relationship with their parents.

You can't possibly judge someone's parenting based upon pictures from the Daily Mail for example. And even if the child is out quite late at night, so what? I think KH takes her for ice cream? Not that unusual..........I'd be more concerned about a parent who wanted to raise a child according to scientology tbh. As I said on another thread my dp was a scientologist and attributes it to his recovery from drug addicition but it still sounds very scary to me, particularly the locked in organisations in the US.

Cheriefroufrou Thu 05-Jul-12 18:35:08

I have no idea, was just trying to say that the "victim" in a relationship breakdown isn't automatically the best parent, and the "villan" in terms of the relatinship break isn't necessarily the worst of the two in terms of getting custody of the children and giving them a stable home

I feel very sorry for her in terms of the relationship, he seems like a HORRIBLE husband, but I wont speculate about which one would give the happiest most stable home to the child based on that

boredandrestless Tue 03-Jul-12 12:10:16

Isn't all the treating the child as an adult, child choosing her clothes, food, bedtime, etc a Scientology thing. Something he has led rather than her?

Cheriefroufrou Tue 03-Jul-12 11:49:58

(I also say that as someone whose mother had blurry boundaries and sometimes expected me to be an equal like a friend/sibling rather than her being the parent and me being the child, I was way way happier and more secure at my dads house, he was always the parent! )

Cheriefroufrou Tue 03-Jul-12 11:48:20

I feel sorry for her as an individual, but not sure that makes her the most stable home. Lots of reports of her taking her daughter out till all hours of the evening and treating her like her best/only friend rather than her daugher. IMO its very hard for a child to be in a relationship like that with a parent, and its GROSS to watch (I've seen it on holiday, the only 5* holiday I ever went on had women taking their children out in the evenings as their dates/plus ones)

course that's just an angle in the press, it might have been once, it might be regular, but if its a regular dynamic then its not necesssarily the best place for the child is it? A more stable father/daughter/other siblings home might be better??

dunno! in terms of the relationship TC is the baddie and KH is the one deserving of sympathy but I don't think that ALWAYS translates to her being the best one for majority custody???

boredandrestless Tue 03-Jul-12 11:20:35

Anyone else really worried for her that she will lose her custody battle??

His older 2 dcs stayed with him rather than NK didn't they.

bettybat Sun 01-Jul-12 13:10:17

Maybe though we all just think it's because of the Hollywood machine and roles - when really it's just because they don't feel the need to come out publicly?

Though that has no water when you have orchestrations of straight marriages and children.

I am hmm-ing at myself for this post.

Cloudbase Sun 01-Jul-12 12:20:12

I think it's incredibly sad that it's so, but yes, Hollywood does shy away from actors being honest about their sexuality.

There was a section in the biography of Brangelina that came out a couple years ago that said that among A list stars, there were only a handful that were genuinely straight. The only really famous ones I can remember were Bruce Willis, Johnny Depp and Brad Pitt but there were about ten on the list.

Personally it doesn't make any difference to me - As a kid I was brought up watching Doris Day movies & I desperately wanted to marry Rock Hudson. Finding out he was gay didn't make any difference to my fancying him. Or Rupert Everett, John Barrowman, or Lovely Mark Gatiss...

Celebrity crushes are so utterly far from reality that I don't see how it makes any difference. I just think it's so sad that in 2012 people for whatever reason, feel the need to hide who they are and deny their own reality because of fear of public reprisal, or damage to their career. It's no way to live, or to ask other people to live (in Tom's case). I guess it's just part of Hollywood corruption though; money before principles, honesty or happiness.

Sigh...sad

MrsAyrtonSenna Sun 01-Jul-12 11:33:57

I cant say I was at all suprised to find out about TC and KH splitting up - they are rarely photographed as a family anyway and most of the pictures at big events with any of his wives, past or present always have a 'staged & posed' look about them as they are designed to promote TC, the actor.

TC's best bit of acting was his jumping on the sofa on the Oprah show -I always thought that was because he was so relieved that his team had managed to find him another 'wife' to support the image! Definately believe the rumours about upcoming actresses who are 'hired' to play the role of wives to these guys in exchange for furthering their careers and having nice lifestyle, hence TC's reputation as a control freak.

I have long thought that TC was gay anyway and infertile as all his ex-wives have gone on to marry again and have children with their new partners. I suspect that the Scientology link in the Hollywood circles is a cosy club for those who are gay and it is just a 'cover'. Look at the rumours that are now emerging about John Travolta to name but one - would love to know what his wife has to say about it all.

In this day and age it is a shame that they feel the need to hide the truth, but I suppose as other MN'ers have posted, it is all about keeping a certain 'image' so that people will go and see the films that they make. As other people have commented, a lot of the actors/actresses are 'out' in the hollywood circles they mix in and it is an open secret. Feel sorry for SC though, that kid is going to have 'issues' as she gets older, so in many ways hope KH does get custody of her and she may stand a chance of a more 'normal' life.

tribpot Sat 30-Jun-12 22:08:51

Guy Pearce (and I love that he is still called 'Mike from Neighbours', that's what I call him too) is not gay, although he does a good line in playing gay guys. As is mentioned upthread, however - this is more acceptable than gay actors playing straight ones (even though surely it's the same bloody thing).

There is a very cute lovely actor called Sean Maher who came out not long ago - I tweeted him to say basically: I had no idea, and don't care! In a good way. Hopefully the reaction of most of his fans. For men of a certain age and with very long, established careers (TC, George Clooney ALLEGEDLY) - isn't it time to come out once and for all? In the words of Dr Pepper, what's the worst that could happen? If the serious power brokers of Hollywood can't break the glass ceiling (unless there's another term for this kind of prejudice), who can?

sasamaxx Sat 30-Jun-12 21:55:56

Agree mummytime - soooo fancy Mike out of neighbours even in 'Priscilla'
Don't even think he is gay IRL

HalleLouja Sat 30-Jun-12 21:33:46

Tom Hardy - swoon. Tom Cruise - not swoon some. The whole Oprah thing wrecked it not that I was ever that keen.

bettybat Sat 30-Jun-12 10:20:42

To!

bettybat Sat 30-Jun-12 10:20:01

He's definitely bi - he's said as much in interviews. I don't think he thinks of it in those terms though, just that he's attracted to who he's attracted too grin

Dee03 Sat 30-Jun-12 10:06:22

No way is Tom Hardy gay!
He is engaged to the actress he was in the Martina Cole tv drama with....smile

bettybat Sat 30-Jun-12 09:59:34

Sorry not Open Your Eyes (that's the original Spanish one) but Vanilla Sky. But since Penelope Cruz repeatedly says "open your eyes, open you eyes, open your eyes" at the end as some kind of homage to the original, I can't be blamed for getting them mixed up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now