Didn't Cilla Black feature heavily on 'meanest rudest celeb' thread?

(75 Posts)
Frizzbonce Thu 24-Mar-11 16:20:40

Because I've just read that one of the main reasons we don't see her on telly much is due to a Head Honcho at ITV refusing utterly to have her on any ITV show. Apparently it goes back to when Head Honcho was a runner on a Cilla Black show long long ago . . . .

Remember who you pass on the way up eh Cilla . . . . . .?

cyb Thu 24-Mar-11 16:22:33

I've seen her and her ridiculous chip munk cheeks on Loose Women

Why she is some kind of 'national treasure' is beyond me......

MegBusset Thu 24-Mar-11 16:37:27

Yes - she refused (rudely) to give my mum an autograph in the 60s so is forever on my shitlist

BringBackGoingForGold Thu 24-Mar-11 16:37:54

I read that too! Popbitch, yes? I've heard before that she's a gigantic tosser. Great to hear that ITV have some integrity and won't put up with her horridness just because she's a 'treasure'.

Frizzbonce Thu 24-Mar-11 18:27:50

cyb - hahahahah!!! Yes she does have a face like a chipmunk.

It does seem like karma though. You'd have to be a real bitch for someone to be SO angry years later that they stonewall any possibility of you coming back to ITV.

Frizzbonce Thu 24-Mar-11 18:28:56

BringBackGoingForGold - yes it was Popbitch!

She lives near my mum - bumps into her in Waitrose or whatever and she has the most affected "posh" non-liverpool accent ever apparently! Right up herself!

TheCrackFox Thu 24-Mar-11 19:05:10

One of my friends is a head housekeeper at a hotel and apparently Cilla is utterly vile. By far the worst Sleb she has ever met and she has met tons of A list Hollywood and pop-stars.

kittya Thu 24-Mar-11 23:13:23

I can imagine that and I bet her friend Paul O Grady isnt as nice as he seems on the telly. Although I would like to be prooved wrong on this as, he does make me laugh.

sharbie Fri 25-Mar-11 11:47:39

my mum and auntie met her in the 60s when she was touring with the beatles - she was ok then.just starting out i suppose.<not defending her at all>

getabloodygrip Fri 25-Mar-11 12:00:29

<<whispers quietly - she took her knickers off alot in the 60s IYSWIM>>

allegedly

sharbie Fri 25-Mar-11 12:06:08

oh dear

kittya Fri 25-Mar-11 12:12:37

I dont believe that, to be honest. I imagine she was a good catholic girl and married her first bf.

She lives not far from us. A good few years ago, her son pulled out onto the road and knocked down and killed a young lad on a motorbike. This lad and his family where friends of friends.
Cilla then went to the papers and gave an interview about how upset and devastated SHE was about the accident, along with photo of her looking sad. She lied in the, interview saying that she has spoken to the boys family and had sent flowers, which was totally untrue. The family never heard (nor wanted to) from her.

So, she actually used someones death to get publicity for herself.

A nasty piece of work by any accounts.

SooooCynical Fri 25-Mar-11 12:50:48

Can't abide and can't understand why she's done so well. She called the 'singing crow' in our house.

I remember reading an article where a journalist had gone to interview her whilst they were having lunch in a restaurant. A lady came rushing over obviously very excited to see CB and proceeded to gush about how wonderful she thought she was and what a big fan she was of CB. She also mentioned that she was at the restaurant because it was her birthday and how this had made it even more special. CB agreed to an autograph and asked the lady her age. When the lady told her CB gasped in mock shock and said 'Gosh. You're the same age as me!! No one would ever believe it looking at us!!' she then went on to ask the journalist if she would believe they were the same age as this lady looked 'so much old'. Apparrently the lady stood in shock and looked like she was about to burst into tears.

First class bitch.

thederkinsdame Sat 26-Mar-11 22:26:52

Ah yes, I have heard a rumour that she's none too popular with cabin crew either...

sharbie Sat 26-Mar-11 22:31:22

dale winton and paul o grady love her - they must be like that too then.yuk.

kittya Sat 26-Mar-11 22:34:43

That has crossed my mind too. Although they dont like each other do they Paul and Dale? I really loved Paul's books but, the show he did with all the grannies. Im not sure he was genuine.

MollieO Sat 26-Mar-11 22:43:16

I've been on the same Concorde flight as her. Huge air of superiority which was the only reason I noticed her at all.

catinthehat2 Sat 26-Mar-11 22:53:20

Some slebs apparently do a lot of drugs.
Cocaine mostly.

kittya Sun 27-Mar-11 00:08:01

Not Cilla!!! I couldnt imagine it.

OrangeBernard Sun 27-Mar-11 00:24:09

Allegedy the only woman to have shagged all 4 Beatles...

Lulie110 Sun 27-Mar-11 00:44:56

thederkinsdam - exactly so, she is the most hated person by BA crew. She is meant to be just inutterably vile; throws a strop is she is not in seat 1A (tho rarely pays for it, just expects an upgrade), and refuses to speak to crew. So they have to speak to whoever is with her, be it assistant, friend, whatever. Maybe it is better that she wont speak to the crew as when she does speak, she is just a cow. Allegedly.

TheSecondComing Sun 27-Mar-11 00:52:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lulie110 Sun 27-Mar-11 00:53:29

OOh - Benidorm ??

AimingForSerenity Sun 27-Mar-11 00:57:59

I don't know if this is true or not but years ago I was told when the dockers in Liverpool were on strike and their families were suffering terribly (and this was not a silly, unreasonable atrike btw) she was written to and asked for a donation as her father had worked there. Apparently she refused and gave the impression she was quite ok with seeing working class people crushed.

I am originally from Liverpool and I've never heard an accent like that there. She is a poor caricature of a scouser!

stressheaderic Sun 27-Mar-11 00:58:38

Ooooh - I love a Cilla bashing thread. Utter utter bitch is what I've heard too. Love Paul O'Grady - hope he's not a twat in real life.

(Love MollieO's casual Concorde namedropping post up the thread)

TheSecondComing Sun 27-Mar-11 02:04:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lulie110 Sun 27-Mar-11 02:14:34

TSC - haha. WEll, pls do ask for any goss on Cilla, and also anyone else that they care to dish on!

MollieO Sun 27-Mar-11 09:21:27

Makes me sound like one of jetset doesn't it?grin Although the truth is less interesting - I paid for it with airmiles! It was utterly fab and the only time I've flown back from New York and not been jetlagged. Fortunately I wasn't sitting anywhere near Cilla.

Nancy66 Sun 27-Mar-11 19:52:19

she's a 24 carat cunt - you won't find a single person in television with a good word to say about her.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 27-Mar-11 19:55:40

I LOVE Paul O'Grady to pieces and would be devastated if he was like Cilla. I'm assuming the friendship is part of his charity work.

How much of a cunt was she on Gok? Even Gok looked disgusted with her and Gok loves everyone.

Wow I had no idea. I want to hear more gossip!

TheDailyWail Sun 27-Mar-11 20:30:09

I worry that Cilla may turn into a mumsnet "She Who Must Not Be Surprise Surprised"

Y'all have short memories!

grin

BertieBasset Sun 27-Mar-11 20:31:11

I met Dale Winton years ago on TOTP and he was horrible. Moody, wouldn;t interact at all, and turned it on for the cameras. Right old misery.

Hope Paul O'Grady isn't an arse.

I only think people have to worry about things that aren't true. Swmnbn didn't actually strap babies to rockets as far as I know...

StayFrosty Sun 27-Mar-11 20:35:03

Arf at nancy66, cutting right to the nub of the matter there grin, nicely done.

marmaladetwatkins Sun 27-Mar-11 20:35:17

"dale winton and paul o grady love her - they must be like that too then.yuk"

I always think that Dale has a malevolent glint in his eye when he's on the gogglebox, like her could turn on you for bugger all.

I must say, I am shocked about our Cilla. I always thought she'd make a lovely nanna.

TheDailyWail Sun 27-Mar-11 20:35:53

Yeah - but in her mind she's still adored and loved by the public.

Deluded? allegedly wink

jonicomelately Sun 27-Mar-11 20:39:59

I know something about her but daren't say what on here. What I will say is that she is very money obsessed. She talks about how much money she has, what she afford to do etc a lot, especially on Loose Women which is very hmm imo.

marmaladetwatkins Sun 27-Mar-11 20:45:44

If you won't say it on here, say it in PM wink

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 27-Mar-11 20:50:58

She was an arse to my boss in Barbados.
thesecondcoming I always knew Robson Green would be an arse!
If Paul O'Grady is horrid I would be gutted. Love him.

TheDailyWail Sun 27-Mar-11 20:53:20

PM all of us!

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 27-Mar-11 21:02:07

Please tell!

jonicomelately Sun 27-Mar-11 21:10:07

Honestly, I can't and I won't. It would completely out me.
Sorry folks sad

marmaladetwatkins Sun 27-Mar-11 21:28:27

Spoilsport!

yousankmybattleship Sun 27-Mar-11 21:36:20

Oooh I love this thread. I have always thougt Cilla was a total bitch. Thank goodness she's hardly ever on the telly now.

StayFrosty Sun 27-Mar-11 23:03:48

she was a nobhead on gok.

getabloodygrip Mon 28-Mar-11 10:13:36

Ha ha.

OrangeBernard you and I obviously heard the same thing re the offing of knickers on a very regular basis in the "early days"!!!!!

Oh Joni - you can PM us!!! Then you won't out yourself!??!

wahwahwah Mon 28-Mar-11 10:19:04

Aparently she is not on TV much because it takes them hours in make-up because of her drinkers-complexion (if you know what I mean).

She was a rotten singer too.

TwoIfBySea Mon 28-Mar-11 13:20:06

She has a very interesting reputation amongst BA cabin crew as being a right bitch according to Popbitch and as a contributer I fully endorse this!

kittya Mon 28-Mar-11 14:54:20

She was big though, evn if she couldn't sing. Anyone know what our Pauls like in rl? I love him too.

wahwahwah Mon 28-Mar-11 15:08:57

What did she do to Gok?

StayFrosty Mon 28-Mar-11 19:50:45

She didn't do anything to him, she was just very up her own arse and "me me me, look at me, i go to barbados a lot you know, i am rich" etc.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Mon 28-Mar-11 20:26:07

Yes, she was very much about flashing the cash on Gok - flying to New York fist class to buy jeans etc. Bit vulgar imo especially given Gok's target audience.

AbsDuCroissant Thu 31-Mar-11 15:35:38

I LOVED that episode.

She was being awful - he took her to TopShop and she banged on about how she never spends less than £300 on a pair of jeans, blah blah blah she always buys them in NYC and has to fly Business, only drinks Cristal

So Gok takes her into Dorothy Perkins (I think?) and points out a jacket and then stands in the middle of the floor shouting "Could I get this in a SIZE SIXTEEN FOR CILLA BLACK. SIZE SIXTEEN FOR CILLA BLACK" grin

I heart Gok.

MikeRotch Sat 02-Apr-11 10:56:55

I'm assuming the friendship is part of his charity work.

LOL

frecklyspeckly Sat 09-Apr-11 22:25:55

what keeps these people popular,really? who or what is Cilla Black's fanbase?
what does she do? (other than bang on about collecting coats in the cavern club in the 60's). Genuine question!
Or is it she is friends with the daily mail/express/OK owners and they promote her existance out of misplaced loyalty? how DARE she abuse people just because she thinks she shagged a beatle or two? I bet Jane Asher is much nicer

BringBackGoingForGold Sun 10-Apr-11 12:02:08

Wasn't Jane Asher on that Maestro show? Thought she came across as prim and humourless ... Although I can't abide Cilla, and you don't hear the shite about Jane that you do about Cilla. Does CB still trade on the fame/goodwill from when she did Surprise Surprise, Blind Date etc? Is that why some people still like her? Or are they taken in by her 'I'm working class and I'm still the girl next door' shtick?

Big questions of our time ...

BringBackGoingForGold Sun 10-Apr-11 13:38:02

Just read this on popbitch: grin

"Many years ago, when This Morning was in
its Liverpool home, Cilla Black would make
appearances on the show to plug Blind Date
or Surprise Surprise. She would always
demand a chauffeur driven car to bring her
up on the morning of the show from down
south as she didn't want to be in Liverpool
the night before".

AlanTitWank Tue 12-Apr-11 11:28:38

The others on Loose Women fawn over her because they are told too. In reality they are shit scared of upsetting her, the dreadful old harpie. The reason the gay boys like her is that she is an outrageous biatch.

BringBackGoingForGold Tue 12-Apr-11 11:33:18

Alan, love the name! Also love the insights and trenchant opinions smile

clivesummer Thu 14-Apr-11 13:57:09

my OH's mum grew up in the same street as Cilla, she hates her! Apparently she was known as 'snotty Cilla' due to a permanently runny nose!

chipstick10 Sat 16-Apr-11 22:42:08

I get the impression that the other loose women walk on egg shells around her, she looks a nasty piece to me.

BettyTurnip Sat 16-Apr-11 23:12:01

Am gutted to think John Lennon went there; hmmm, that's possibly why he and his bandmates addled their brains with mind altering drugs in the years following...a 60s brain bleach if you like.

Bit0fFunnyBunny Sat 16-Apr-11 23:16:19

I very much doubt that Lennon et al had much to do with her. She has just milked the geographical connection, but I can only presume she has always been deeply irritating and dreadful company. And she was never exactly a looker.

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 16-Apr-11 23:27:01

Surprise surpriiiiiise!!!!

What Scouser ever says lorra?! None I've ever met exceptthe----plastic ones.

thenightsky Sat 16-Apr-11 23:29:30

So she shagged a few beatles - meh.

Now Marianne Faithfull... she shagged Mick Jagger.

Marianne is still cool.

kittya Sun 17-Apr-11 20:49:35

Paul O'Grady says in this mornings Observer that she cooks a mean pan of chips!! Not in her back kitchen though, he had to add in her Barbados home.

I really to worry that our Paul isnt as nice as he seems to be, because he hangs around her so much. And, thats a funny friendship, when he was Lily Savage he wouldnt have been seen dead with her. Now that he is a daytime telly luvie hes always banging on about her. sad

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Apr-11 20:52:07

Paul O'Grady's books are the funniest I have read. I would be so sad if he is horrid.

kittya Sun 17-Apr-11 21:21:34

They are fantastic arent they? She's never mentioned is she? and shes at least ten years older than him. They carry on like they are life long buddys but it must be a pretty recent friendship. I mean, I bet he used to rip the piss out of her when he was growing up. We all did (except I used to get dragged along to see her live by my granny. I was EIGHT sad).

I have an awful feeling that he puts on a persona for the telly and that he may well be as bad as her in rl. Has anyone ever met him?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Apr-11 21:41:19

He is someone I bet it would be brilliant to have a bitchy night out with!

kittya Sun 17-Apr-11 21:49:26

as long as he didnt bring her with him wink

toucancancan Sat 23-Apr-11 21:57:21

I think I read that he got closer to her after her husband died. They would go out on the town together to cheer her up.

FanjOeuForTheMammaries Sat 23-Apr-11 22:02:38

I know someone who worked with Paul O'Grady and says he is a really nice guy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now