Beckham kids to start at Haberdashers.

(132 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 14-Mar-11 08:04:04

Nowhere near me but I see MNers talking about this school. So if you have a kid there you may soon be rubbing shoulders with Becks.

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13032011/58/world-football-beckhams-moving-england.html

SardineQueen Mon 14-Mar-11 08:10:12

Newspaper guesswork?

What if they don't pass the exam? shock (Something tells me they will grin)

whatkungfuthat Mon 14-Mar-11 12:09:00

I did wonder about this, it fits the distance to Beckingham Palace.

SnapFrakkleAndPop Mon 14-Mar-11 12:11:01

sardine is it terrible that was my first thought to? Habs is not a school which is particularly open to parents buying their way in....

SardineQueen Mon 14-Mar-11 12:16:44

(I went to Habs grin)

I imagine they would make some kind of sports bursary for them, I bet those kids are good at footaball!

I also doubt that the other parents would be up in arms about it even if they did suspect shenanigans.

whatkungfuthat Mon 14-Mar-11 12:19:57

Brooklyn is supposed to be really good, not sure about the others. Would the other parents want the fuss though? And its a bugger to drive around there at the best of times, let alone when paps start hanging about.

RunforFun Mon 14-Mar-11 12:21:40

Trust me. You dont want them at your school.

They have bodyguards hmm or at least used to when in Cheshire.

pawsnclaws Mon 14-Mar-11 12:34:57

I have friends who know them at their current school - apparently the boys are lovely.

Was a little surprised at Habs if I'm brutally honest, when I saw the initial reports I wondered if it was Haileybury.

SardineQueen Mon 14-Mar-11 12:44:51

Haileybury sounds more likely now you mention it.at

I was suprised at hab too

typing with baby sory

whatkungfuthat Mon 14-Mar-11 12:55:45

Where is Haileybury? I only know Habs from driving past it.

pawsnclaws Mon 14-Mar-11 12:58:35

Near Hertford. I went to the comp. down the road. It was a lovely school in those days though, not ridiculously academic but fantastic facilities and seemed to turn out nice young men.

whatkungfuthat Mon 14-Mar-11 13:20:48

Thanks paws. I remember when Brooklyn first started school in the UK (similar age to DS1). That school was described in much the same way as this article, without being named, so perhaps he is returning to where he started but going to upper school?

Blu Mon 14-Mar-11 13:26:10

I thnk it's really unethical and intrusive to speculate on the academic ability of named children - all OUR children in MN are given the benefit of anonimity.
However much the parents court publicity, why should a parenting site spread news / gossip / hearsay about the children's privacy and education?

SnapFrakkleAndPop Mon 14-Mar-11 13:33:08

(so did I, *sardine! HM was PP)

Blu their academic ability isn't being speculated on, I think that, knowing the school, we're commenting more on newspaper's blithe assumption that all the boys will be going there when it's a very competitive school with high academic standards and if they don't pass the exam I'd be quite shocked if they were accepted tbh. Also, based on knowing it, it really is not a school which would compromise academic standards and the girls equivalent has been known to turn down very substantial (I'll buy you a new swimming pool) 'donations' by parents desperate for their children to get places. If they get in it'll be on academic merit but my first thought honestly was 'they'll have to pass the exam first'.

I would have loved to go to Haileybury - used to do MUN conferences there.

Blu Mon 14-Mar-11 13:43:27

Yes, but there IS speculation on this thread about their relative ability.

southeastastra Mon 14-Mar-11 13:44:55

great that's near me, roads are crap as it is with all the coaches now we'll have the paps hiding in the bushes grin

SardineQueen Mon 14-Mar-11 13:46:59

In what way is it out of line for someone to say they have heard that Brooklyn is good at football? That's a compliment, surely.

The point about the exam is that no-one can say that any children are going to Habs until they have the offer in their hand. This newspaper has stated that they are going there - which does not take into account the fact that the school is selective.

myredcardigan Mon 14-Mar-11 13:47:09

When they lived here, didn't they start at The Ryleys though which doesn't have a senior school?

I wouldn't be keen if I was a parent simply because eof the extra traffic and paps etc.

EmmaBGoode Mon 14-Mar-11 13:47:33

Really? Well, I am very, very surprised at their choice. I don't think I've known anybody go there who wasn't Jewish.

MadreInglese Mon 14-Mar-11 13:47:38

Oh are you talking about a school?

I was thinking perhaps the Beckham boys had a liking for Gok and were off to customise their cloths blush confused

pawsnclaws Mon 14-Mar-11 13:49:11

Snap put it better than I could. Habs is "the" desired school for many parents in this area, but I think it's fair to say you have to be a certain sort of person to thrive there. Lots of boys at my ds's prep school go on to Habs so I know a fair few.

Matt Lucas the comedian once described it as the kind of school where "your best is never good enough." For that reason alone I'd be surprised to see the Beckham boys there.

SnapFrakkleAndPop Mon 14-Mar-11 13:49:32

We haven't said 'oh they'll never get in', it's 'oh they'll still have to take the exam'.

SardineQueen Mon 14-Mar-11 13:50:12

Emma shock what a bizarre (and inaccurate) comment. So what if a school has a lot of Jewish students?

whatkungfuthat Mon 14-Mar-11 13:54:43

blu I never claimed to have ethics, but neither have I been rude. I couldn't care about their academic ability quite frankly but I am fairly local and it will have a knock-on effect on what is terrible traffic already, at least when/if they first start so my interest is totally selfish smile

MooMooFarm Mon 14-Mar-11 13:56:02

Reading the title I was thinking 'What? Aren't their children a little young for work experience? (in a men's clothing store.....). blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now