Question about choosing snowshoes

(7 Posts)
AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 21-Aug-16 11:00:01

I'm thinking about buying a pair of snowshoes (now, before the new-season full price stock comes in) and wanted advice.

I'm a novice, and have only used hire ones, which have a fixed metal bar at the back for 'lift' for uphill. Also, my foot was fixed in one (moving?) position only and they seemed to have a lot of teeth.

I've seen some (heavily discounted) ones made by Quechua (Inuit 500) They don't seem to have as many teeth, and there seem to be three heel options (fixed, free and free above the plastic thingy which locks/unlocks the heel). Are these the better tech?

Are there any other features (or makes) to seek out or swerve?

I only do it for a week or so a year, so don't want to spend a lot. Well, not more than a week's hire!

NisekoWhistler Sun 21-Aug-16 11:04:52

What do you wear them for? Just to walk round the ski resort in the evening?

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 21-Aug-16 11:11:26

Never in the resort, other than when setting off/getting back.

It's for about four hours a day (probably max 6) on marked but not necessarily pisted snowshoeing trails. I'm likely to stick to moderate ones, but they can include some steep sections.

NisekoWhistler Sun 21-Aug-16 13:04:57

Oh I see, can't offer any assistance I'm afraid

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Sun 21-Aug-16 18:27:01

At least it bumped the thread (as this will).

I'm assuming that they fit all reasonably rugged boots. Ones I've hired in previous seasons certainly seem to fit all. But in case it's relevant, my current boots are Merrells and I'd wear them with gaiters.

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Fri 30-Dec-16 15:44:44

I asked this back in August, still interested in what to look for in choosing a snowshoe.

I'm hoping there will be more people thinking about snow at this time of year!

anotherdayanothersquabble Sat 31-Dec-16 17:16:35

Useful to have lift at the back and a clip that holds the back down when required. Apart from that, not too heavy, not too big.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now