Beginner family skiing in Chamonix-help!

(9 Posts)
Kathdigitalnrg Tue 16-Aug-16 17:58:46

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are taking our 4 and 5 year old skiing to Chamonix for the New Year. We are all beginners and would appreciate advice with regards to the best area to stay in terms of kids ski school and beginner slopes for my husband and I. We would also like to be able to walk to restaurents and bars for the evening (ideally chamonix itself). Any advice at all would be very much appreciated- very uneducated with the whole skiing thing tbh!!!
Thank you in advance!
Kath xxx

dontcallmethatyoucunt Fri 19-Aug-16 08:29:26

Chamonix is in various separate ski areas and you will need to drive or bus it to each. If I'm honest it's not the easiest ski resort, but having been a few times I personally think La Tour (sp?) is the best area to learn as it has a green run and quite a few blues. Other areas are quite aggressive with blues more like reds and reds that would be black elsewhere. I think la tour would be enough for a week though so don't be put off. I learnt there (I could snowboard though) and it was fine. I've since skied with others in all the areas and think le/la tour was the favourite amongst the learners.

The downside is that Chamonix town isn't a ski area, you will be away from the (main area for) restaurants or the slopes. Buses are regular, but busy. Also restaurants don't open for kids tea, you'll find 7pm is the earliest. If some self catering or a catered chalet is an option, then I think with kids that age you'll find it easier.

i used ESF when I learnt, but I know there are other options.

thescruffiestgiantintown Mon 12-Sep-16 19:38:49

In your position I would consider staying in Les Houches. It's just down the valley from Chamonix and is therefore cheaper, plus there are far more gentle slopes than further up (as PP noted, Chamonix is not an easy resort!)
There are several bars and restaurants in the village of Les Houches plus supermarkets, boulangeries, an ice rink, etc.

You could still catch the bus/drive into Chamonix town very easily but I think it'd tick your boxes better than being in Chamonix itself.

LIZS Mon 12-Sep-16 19:41:15

Does it have to be Chamonix? The easy skiing isn't very accessible especially if there is little snow at resort level. I think you'd find yourselves walking/bussing around which isn't fun with younger children.

BikeRunSki Mon 12-Sep-16 19:46:59

I second that the Chamonix Valley is not great for family skiing, but if you really want to go there, then Les Houches, or maybe Argentiere or the best locations. You'll end up on a lot of buses though.

You'd be better off over towards Morzine with young children. Avoriaz is good for children.

fluffiphlox Mon 12-Sep-16 19:50:51

I would third that Chamonix is not great for beginners. Would suggest Les Gets or Morzine.

tpod Thu 15-Sep-16 07:44:17

Hi I live in Chamonix and it's not the best resort for beginners especially at NY. We tend to get snow later on in the season (but you never can tell) and the best nursery slopes are low in the valley so sometimes not great or even not open at all. I've been here 20 years and winter season is getting stranger every year. In terms of looking after your kids, get them into the Panda Club (Evo2) and book it early as its like getting them into Eton otherwise. If you are not staying in Chamonix or Les Houches (cold) town you need a hire car as public transport, much like everything else, is not for the faint of heart. PM me if you like with any specific Qs

tpod Thu 15-Sep-16 07:45:38

PS My 5 year old loves it and my older godson and his brothers view this place as The Best!!

PikachuSayBoo Thu 15-Sep-16 08:01:28

I've skied at Chamonix once. We stayed in a little place in the middle of the valley. Have to say it was my least favourite ski resort ever. Just a pain catching buses to get to different lifts/areas. It's so fragmented. Buses are busy and standing up in ski boots while holding skis/sticks/toddlers wasn't great.

The skiing up at Argentiere was very nice. My brother was with us and it was his first time skiing and there was quite a good beginner area there iirc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now