Ski resort close to Geneva. Think cheap, cheap, cheap. Help!

(15 Posts)
fakenamefornow Wed 18-May-16 08:00:06

OK, booked flights to Geneva but nothing else yet. We are a family of five with children at 8, 9 and 11 we need-

High/snow sure as we're going early in the season.
Able to get to/from with public transport from Geneva airport
Children are first time skiing so we don't need big resort .
Cheap lift passes, fine if it's only for a small area.
Ski school for the children.
Self catering accommodation.

Anyone else had this criteria last year who can guide us? Feeling overwhelmed with all the options.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 26-Jun-16 15:53:06

When you say 'early' what do you mean?

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 26-Jun-16 16:01:30

Praz de lys Sommard or Morillion might suit though not high.

There is little public transport from Geneva to ski resorts though many ski transfer operators who run minibuses up and down the mountain all day long. Alpybus, Skiddy Gonzales etc.

Chalets direct is a good place to start looking for accomodation but also look directly on the resort websites for accomodation, eg Les Gets.

Lift passes in the big resorts are expensive but even in the small resorts, they can be quite a lot.

Ski schools marketed directly to English speakers can be up to double the price per hour of ESF. ESI are worth looking at as an alternative.

MaybeDoctor Sun 26-Jun-16 16:06:47

Avoriaz?

Lunde Sun 26-Jun-16 16:07:00

I'm not sure that "Cheap cheap cheap" and Geneva will really go together. Is there a reason it has to be Geneva?

When are you thinking of going?

ItsJustPaint Sun 26-Jun-16 16:08:42

Lunde is right. Can you save up a but more between now and then ?

Skiing for a family of 5 is never an easy ask.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 07-Jul-16 20:21:00

I think Italy would be better. Try and find a village resort and it will be much cheaper than the big French ones.

Have a look on snow finder and check for the small resorts.

Artandco Thu 07-Jul-16 20:24:57

Near Geneva will never be cheap, is there a reason you booked flights to a location you have no plans for?

For first time cheap skiing I would be heading to Andorra or Austria or even Bulgaria.

Very little ski areas are accessible by public transport from Airport into resort. You would need to book a ski taxi transfer

cestlavielife Wed 10-Aug-16 19:27:58

Alibis is the public bus service but for five people it might be cheaper to get private transfer anyway. But check the web site gor prices put diff resorts in
I used themountainrescue.Com

cestlavielife Wed 10-Aug-16 19:29:18

www.altibus.com

Click on English at the top for English version they do cheaper tickets for under 16

fakenamefornow Wed 10-Aug-16 19:35:24

Oh, thread's come back to life! I'll check out the transport links. We've booked accommodation in Avoriaz now.

Muchtoomuchtodo Mon 15-Aug-16 22:08:02

Avoriaz is pretty high. When are you going? The last 2 Christmasses have been a bit iffy to say the least.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 23-Aug-16 09:36:21

If you've booked then this is probably too late, but we were in the same situation last year (flew out to Geneva on 21st Dec) and went to Cervinia. 3 children, 1st time skiing with them and wanted cheap. It was amazing. Not public transport though (hired a car from Geneva but it was an easy drive).

namechangedtoday15 Tue 23-Aug-16 09:41:34

One other thing I should have said - look into private lessons. I found (certainly with 3 children) that there was little difference between private lessons and ski school. They got so much more out of the private lessons (no waiting around, queues etc).

fluffiphlox Mon 05-Sep-16 19:06:20

I would say Avoriaz too but Christmas can be dicey in terms of weather. Book a transfer with one of any number of transfer companies. (One called Ski Transfers based in Les Gets)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now