Easter ski holiday - family rooms

(8 Posts)
RipMacWinkle Sun 01-May-16 13:56:07

Hi, I've just found this topic and am reading through and making tips.

DH skis and the DC (aged 9 and 6) and I are having lessons at the moment and loving it. So we're considering a trip abroad next Easter to ski and I've been looking around on Crystal and Ingham. I've been concentrating on Austria so far because we've been there before in the summer and they seem to have good areas for beginners.

Availability already seems to be patchy but my main issue is I can't seem to find any rooms that sleep 4. We are being priced for 2 double or twin rooms, is this normal? We wouldn't be comfortable with our 2 in a separate room (nor would they!) and I don't fancy spending my holiday with DH and I in separate rooms. Am I doing something wrong?

Any and all advice appreciated!

snowgirl1 Mon 02-May-16 17:56:48

We're going to Hotel Diva in Tignes Val Claret with Crystal Ski at Easter 2017 - we have booked a triple room and our friends have booked a quad room, so there are the types of room that you're looking for out there.

If you're going at Easter I'd strongly suggest that you look for a snow sure, high resort - especially as Easter is quite late in 2017. Some of the Austrian resorts are quite low.

PestoSwimissimos Mon 02-May-16 18:11:00

Try Ski Famille or Ski Esprit, they are more family orientated. We went with Crystal for the 2nd year running & my friend had the same issue. They ended up with 2 rooms, one for her & her DH & the other for their 2 DD's.

Umbrelladilemma Mon 02-May-16 18:36:03

We've done large chalets (with Esprit) with us in one room and the children in a separate room next door. I agree it's not ideal, but I've felt comfortable as long as the children are either in a cot (so can't wander alone!) or old enough to be able to come and find us if they needed us in the night (which I would think a 6 yr old and 9 yr old would be). When ours were younger we had a baby monitor set up so we could hear them during the night.

In fact I prefer this to having a family room - I think we all sleep better!
I'd be far less comfortable with this set-up in a hotel though.

RipMacWinkle Tue 03-May-16 18:46:12

Thanks so much for your responses. I'll keep looking! I've never heard of esprit so I'll check that out and that's good info re Austria's snow levels. I hadn't thought of that!

At least I know I'm not doing something daft with my search!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 03-May-16 21:18:22

High high high, definitely.

We have had family room when the kids were very small, but in small chalets we have had separate rooms, the kids would sleep next door....as they would at home. Mine are good sleepers though and not prone to wandering. If they did wander, it would be to find me and they know where we are. I always take a monitor too, so I can hear. They are locked in, it's a small chalet not a hotel, it's 20 cm between us, everyone gets some sleep!

rookiemere Thu 05-May-16 21:55:32

Hi, I did a quick check on Crystal for Austria - if you pick family resort then there appear to be quite a few hotels with rooms for 4 - Hotel Alpin Scheffau, Hotel Neuhaus - St Joseph, Maryrhofen, Hotel Lohmann Obergurl. There's absolutely loads - I'd check again.

massistar Wed 11-May-16 13:55:49

We're going to the hotel Alpin in Scheffau at half term and we've got a family suite. They also do family rooms with bunk beds which are cheaper. Mine are 7 and 11 and I still want them in the same room! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now