Ski helmets

(17 Posts)
WelshMoth Mon 18-Jan-16 22:27:48

Is it worth buying your own?
Have seen a few in the sale and am tempted...
I'll admit to having never worn one - have skied for years and years and never bothered, but it seems the sensible thing to do now. Are the hire ones big and clumpy? Are ones to buy lighter and more comfy?

PatriciaHolm Tue 19-Jan-16 10:41:20

We have our own, but we don't have to lug them back and forwards - they live in the chalet we go to. But i never really fancied the hired ones tbh. Buying them meant we could all try a number on and get ones that felt comfortable and fitted well.

massistar Tue 19-Jan-16 11:49:46

I've got my own as have my own snowboard and boots etc. Wouldn't board without now. It's really unusual to see people without them unless they are gnarly locals.

WelshMoth Tue 19-Jan-16 11:52:46

I'm gnarly grin but not a local.

We're driving so I may have a look at buying.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Tue 19-Jan-16 16:54:30

I bought mine as I'll use it and use it.
It fits properly (I can lean forward without it done up and it stays on).
No other sweaty bugger has been in it.
It doesn't look like a mushroom.
It's not been dropped.
It has padding that can be removed around the ears if it's really warm

I strap it to my backpack that I take as hand luggage, but in a car you won't even notice it.

All that said, I wouldn't ski without as I've had crashes and a head injury can be life changing.

vEGANvERA Tue 19-Jan-16 18:13:12

I hired this year. All very new. Looks/smells great. Mych better quality than my o e at home tbh.

BeachysFlipFlops Tue 19-Jan-16 18:46:48

I bought them for the kids as they kept coming home from ski holidays with nits from the hired ones!

WelshMoth Tue 19-Jan-16 19:08:01

Nits!!

That's sorted. I'm buying!!!

trixymalixy Tue 19-Jan-16 20:58:52

Ski helmets used to be free with your ski hire but they now seem to be charging 15eur for kids and 18eur for adults, so worth buying your own now as you can get them from about £10 from sports direct.

vEGANvERA Wed 20-Jan-16 07:12:56

Ski helmets are free last few resorts i've been (included with any ski hire or with lessons)

randomsabreuse Wed 20-Jan-16 07:14:35

Prefer my own - more comfortable than a hat for me!

trixymalixy Wed 20-Jan-16 08:46:26

As I said vegan they have been free every other time we have been but skiset, inter sport and skimium are now charging. If you look at their website and add a helmet the price goes up. There's another thread in this topic where the charge was £30 for helmet hire!

vEGANvERA Wed 20-Jan-16 11:19:04

Ahhh. Missed that. We have ski hats sitting at home but they are noone near the quality of hire ones. This thread has really got me thinking. Next year hire and tea tree oil spray. Fingers crossed no nits this year

Tuiles Fri 22-Jan-16 11:24:01

I wasn't going to bother buying, but happened through Lidl the other day and they had ski helmets plus goggles in the sale bin for under £20 for both! Snapped them up (they seem decently made) now worried I'll not have room to pack!

hifi Wed 24-Feb-16 23:37:24

By the amount of sweating I did in my hired one I would definitely buy my own next time.

Trickydecision Thu 25-Feb-16 10:05:33

Yes, Trixy, i have noticed the trend for shops to charge for them now. We have all got our own including a bargain Sports Direct Nevica for DGS's Christmas present which he said was far more comfortable than the hired ones.
Nits!!! shock

clam Thu 25-Feb-16 22:12:27

I'm surprised that nits could survive long enough to pass over to the next person hiring (there'd usually be at least 24 hours between one person returning a helmet, say on a Friday afternoon, and the next person hiring it on a Saturday). Thought they crawled from one warm head to another through close contact. Anyway, none of mine have ever got them not from skiing anyway.
<hijacks thread>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now