Santa trips to Lapland

(11 Posts)
GailPro Sun 12-Apr-15 20:57:33

Hi, I'm really struggling to decide if to fork out £££ to take my 4 and 7 year old to Lapland this year. Their cousins went about 8 years ago with Canterbury travel, and we never heard the end of how good it was. However, some of the more recent reviews have not been that complimentary. Added to that the most recent review I can find is around 2012. Can anyone provide any advice or experience?
I know that this has been broached before on these fora, but again, that was a few years ago, and I was hoping to get some up to date info. Thanks xxx

reallyneedmoresleep Sun 12-Apr-15 21:30:48

We did it a couple of years ago and it was amazing. We went with Esprit and the kids were 7, 5 and 3. We did 2 nights there rather than try to cram it all in to one day. A really magical experience although stupidly expensive!

TheHouseofMirth Sun 12-Apr-15 21:39:10

We went for 3 nights with Magic of Lapland who were a bit more expensive than other companies but it was a perfect trip. We had a brilliant time.

jo164 Mon 13-Apr-15 11:50:27

We did it 3 years ago, but independently rather than through a travel agent. Obviously pros and.cons but for us it worked out much more cost effective. We combined it with some skiing lessons for the children by staying in a resort called Levi. We booked.flights from Heathrow to Kittila via Helsinki - if you book early you can get a fairly short stopover and it is pretty painless. We stay in self catering accommodation - which is high quality in Finland, but you could book hotels if you prefer. We have done lots of trips.all booked through the Levi tourist office,including day trip to visit Santa,reindeer sleigh rides, husky sleigh rides, visit to ice hotel, snow-mobiling.... We book skiing direct with ski school via email. We love it there and have just last weekend returned from our 3rd trip there :-) Good website to look at is www.levi.fi you can change it to English in the top right!

WeLoveHaribo Tue 21-Jul-15 07:48:23

Would you know if you can wait and book trips once there?
We've booked a package which includes 'tasters' but we will most probably want to do more.
Which trips would you recc? Or any to avoid?
DC are 3.10 and 6.8 Thanks.

jo164 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:14:12

We booked trips once we were there. If you are going to Levi the tourist office is very good and trips in the run up to Christmas weren't that busy as most people are on package trips. I'd avoid anything too long as it can be as cold as -30! Don't pre book northern lights trips as weather unpredictable! We have done huskies, reindeers, snowmobile, ice hotel visit (not that good for kids), Northern lights and obviously Father Christmas. Snow-mobiling good if you enjoy that as children travel in a heated trailer. Reindeer ride and huskies both great and children loved them. Husband wants to do ice Karting but children too young! We mainly ski now when we go and you can pre book lessons, but again it's very quiet on the slopes at that time of year as it's dark and cold so only a %age of the slopes are open - which means that you may be able to book that on arrival.

WeLoveHaribo Thu 23-Jul-15 10:33:13

Thanks Jo164 thats great flowers

oneowlgirl Sat 16-Jan-16 11:59:13

Did you go Op? How was it?

We're thinking of booking for December 2016 but there seems so much choice that it's hard to know. We want to go for longer than 1 day as think it would be too much for the DC (they'll be 10, 8 & 5) & likely will do a package with Thomson as that seems easiest!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 17-Jan-16 09:31:35

one We have just back from Ruka with Crystal ski. We booked a ski holiday and locally booked for Santa and husky rides. We had a whole week and it was AMAZING

Have a look on Trip Advisor for RUka Finland. You can book for a family for 2k. I would thoroughly recommend it. Even if you don't ski there are loads of things to do. Plenty of families on our trip didn't ski, but I would personally take the opportunity to ski as it is a great learner resort.

The costs whilst there were fine. Eating out comparable to London. I would stay in Ruka village rather than the log cabins, but cabins are a bit cheaper and with older kids easier I expect.

oneowlgirl Sun 17-Jan-16 09:57:54

Thank you - sounds brilliant!

dontcallmethatyoucunt Sun 17-Jan-16 12:41:46

The Santa trip was great. Sledge in his garden, eat sausages in his log cabin, in the house to meet him, make ginger biscuits and cards and sweet buns with mother Christmas, singing with the elves. If I'd have stayed much longer I think I would believe grin

Susi the huski man was also great and 10 mins out of town.

You can sledge in the resort, there are fire pits by the runs so you can toast marshmallows or sausages, or both!

Lovely, wonderful snow trees that make it a magical place.

If you can't tell, we loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now