Private nannies in ski resorts

(16 Posts)
Bearwantsmore Sun 09-Mar-14 21:01:00

We've just got back from a fantastic week in Meribel with Esprit. Now thinking about next year already! Esprit was brilliant, particularly for our 5 yr old, but DS will be almost 3 next season and I think that will be a tricky age - too old for all-day nursery but too young for skiing. DD at 6 would need lesdons bit could spend afternoons with us. I was thinking of chalet plus private nanny but gave no idea of the cost?

Bearwantsmore Sun 09-Mar-14 21:03:30

Oops, lots of typos - sorry!

My question (in case it got lost in my rambling message!) is: does anyone know how much nannies charge in the resorts? I'm trying to work out how affordable this would be vs the Esprit (or similar) wrap-around childcare model.

trixymalixy Sun 09-Mar-14 21:14:15

Hi, we ended up with a private nanny for the week last year as Crystal messed up out childcare booking. IIRC between two children it was cheaper for the week than the Crystal childcare. I can't remember how much it was exactly, but I think it was €400 so €200 per child.

MistyB Tue 11-Mar-14 21:29:37

I have used Jack Frosts in Portes de Soleil for the last three years. We have only had a few mornings / afternoons here and there rather than a full week but they charge £15 per hour.

A quick google shows that there are several such agencies covering Meribel charging somewhere around £600 for a full weeks childcare.

trixymalixy Tue 11-Mar-14 21:44:53

Just remembered that €400 was for 5 days as we had no childcare the first day due to Crystal's fuck up.

Doshusallie Wed 12-Mar-14 14:05:51

We are looking into this for Morzine next Feb and have been quoted £800 per nanny per week, they don't do parts of the week apparently it's all or nothing.

We paid £1225 for two nannies in Val d'isere at New Year.

MistyB Wed 12-Mar-14 18:14:02

Jack Frosts cover Morzine and definetly do part weeks.

Doshusallie Thu 13-Mar-14 13:02:59

oh brilliant Misty, have emailed them.

Bearwantsmore Fri 14-Mar-14 20:03:17

Thanks everyone. It is expensive, isn't it! But then hopefully we'd be sharing with another family (so 2 almost 3 yr olds) so could split the cost.

On a related point, does anyone have experience of skiing holidays with this age children - 2-3 yr olds? I'm worried that DS will have a miserable time as he'll want to be skiing with his big sister. Hence I thought a nanny might be good as she could take him to play in the snow and do more age-appropriate activities than he would have access to in a nursery full of babies.

bluebizzy Fri 14-Mar-14 21:55:48

Ski magic in La Tania offer free part time childcare and then you can top it up to full time for a very reasonable amount. I think I paid an additional £100 a couple of years ago. There chalets are probably more basic than esprit but you dont pay Esprit prices. I haven't stayed with Esprit so am only saying this by comparing photos from their websites.

bluebizzy Fri 14-Mar-14 21:57:09

Just to add their childcare is normally quite a small group so they do get to go out and play in the snow etc.

trixymalixy Fri 14-Mar-14 22:12:33

We've been taking DD since she was 2. She skied for the first time aged 4 this year. The two previous years she had a fabulous time and still talks about Becky the nanny from Snow Babies.

Bearwantsmore Sat 15-Mar-14 06:36:21

Thanks Trixy and bluebizzy. It sounds like there are lots of options. I do think either a private nanny or small group would be better, will just need to work out our budget first I think.

steph900 Sat 15-Mar-14 12:38:16

Hi bearwantsmore, have you heard of Premiere Neige in Sainte Foy? We stayed for a week in February and loved it - can't speak highly enough of the resort. We put our 2 yr old son in the creche for 6 full days for just €350 and the nannies were great with him. they even made little keepsakes with him to take home! definitely recommend them and we've already booked for next year! Premiere Neige accommodation was amazing and the best bit was that the ski slopes are so quiet, so didn't have to worry about other skiers bumping into the kids!

toomuchcoffeetoomuchwine Sun 16-Mar-14 07:53:07

Katia at Merrinannies will sort you out in 3 valleys / Val / Cham. Otherwise the holiday companies VIP Ski & Meriski will provide nannies.

Olivermoliver Sun 30-Mar-14 10:03:12

Would also suggest Ski Magic in La Tania. Another option for Morzine is the local nursery L'Outa. We used that when our son was 1 and 2 for morning only sessions and it worked out well for us. Purpose built nursery with all the activities kids of that age do and outside space, very reasonably priced.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now