2015 Chalet Recommendations - Alpe d'Huez

(7 Posts)
Whity74 Tue 11-Feb-14 19:25:48

We found a chalet style apartment on www.chalet-hire.com for our holiday to Alpe D'Huez leaving on 8th March 2014... obviously not been yet so can't comment on what it's like. But it was very cheap. We tend to go self catering to reduce the cost a bit. Normally go to Zermatt so hoping Alpe D'Huez food and drink prices will be more reasonable.

TheMoreItSnows Tue 11-Feb-14 12:32:23

Fabulous - thanks for the recommendations - lots of stuff that I hadn't thought of. Would we have to do ESF for lessons? They frighten me, vestigial tail from when I was a kid - too much posing on the slopes and not enough genuine care and consideration of the kids..... I recall spending most of my time terrified I'd be left behind....

Sparklegeek Sat 01-Feb-14 16:54:57

We stayed here www.lechateaudoz.com/en/Winter/winterHome.html last Easter, was fab. Gorgeous food! And perfect for a few families going together as you'd each get your own 'suite' of rooms.

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Thu 30-Jan-14 15:08:56

You can save a lot of money by booking independently and leaving out the travel agent. Once you've booked the flight and accommodation then Ben's Bus is the best way to transfer.
Ski school can be booked online with ESF. Lift passes also online through Alpe d'Huez website.
We use skiset for equipment hire.

winklewoman Thu 30-Jan-14 14:09:49

We have stayed at the Chalet les Eterlous with Skiworld. It holds about 36 I think, and we had a good family holiday there. If you have under five year olds , the ski kindergarten actually meets on the premises, otherwise it is a couple of hundred yards to the ski school meeting place, but reasonable skiers can ski right back.
PuddingP's suggestion of the MMV club hotel sounds good, it is certainly in an excellent position and I really liked the look of it. I guess you would have to make your own travel arrangements and book direct, but Pudding may advise. I love Alpe D'Huez, but DSs less keen as we have stayed there three times and they do like to ring the changes.

PuddleglumtheMarshWiggle Thu 30-Jan-14 11:43:37

Hi, we've been to Alpe d'Huez for 6 years now and will be returning in Feb. Great place to ski. We love it! As you might have guessed!
We always stay in the Les Bergers area. Everything is near by, ski lifts, ski school and a small commercial centre which holds the ski hire shops and a supermarket - with lovely boulangerie where you can buy baguettes and croissants for breakfast. For self-catering we stay in the Pierre et Vacances apartments. Studio flats, we have 2 teenage DDs and this works well. Plus the place has an outdoor pool (heated!) and sauna which is great after a day skiing, and a restaurant, pizza take-away if you don't fancy cooking.
If you want a hotel we have also stayed at the MMV Club Hotel which provides a buffet meal, 3 times a day. Good food and ideally located as is ski-in, ski-out.
The ski area is vast here and caters for all types from beginner to very experienced. Check out Le tunnel! Only for the very confident. I would never go near it!
I'll keep checking this page if you have any more questions

TheMoreItSnows Mon 20-Jan-14 10:08:40

We want to ski next year in Alpe d'Huez - there'll be 4 or so families of 4/5 - so about 20 in total.

There'll be complete non-skiers who wish to learn (kids and adults) so we'll need access to lessons & ski hire, and a variety of levels of skiers.

The logistics are so huge I don't know where to start.

How can we make this work, and is there somewhere you've stayed that you'd really recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now