Getting fit in time for skiing

(11 Posts)
poshme Thu 28-Nov-13 14:27:47

Anyone else interested in a motivation thread? We're not going till February half term (tignes) but last year I left it too late & really wasn't fit enough.
I'm even flabbier now sad but aiming to be fitter (and more toned) with more stamina by the time we go this year.
So my plan is this:
dog walking daily 30 minutes
Swimming once a week
10 minute exercise DVD x2 at least every other day.
Maybe if I feel up to it 30 day shred occasionally.

What's everyone else doing?

flashheartscanoe Thu 28-Nov-13 15:48:47

I was discussing this with DH- we are also going at half term. Last year I vowed to get much fitter next time as the first few days were really tough. I kept having to stop. It was nothing like going 10 years ago!

By the last day I was totally fine- SO we decided that the best way to get fit is to ski so we should do a 3 day ski weekend on our own before the family ski holiday!! - genius. Unfortunately its a bit expensive.

So I will be doing lots of cycling instead. Apparently its the best thing for those thigh muscles.
And after christmas when I watch tv I'll hold my legs in the air as much as possible. Do you think that will do the trick?

poshme Thu 28-Nov-13 15:53:11

I'm loving the idea of a weekend skiing child free! Sadly too costly for us too.

I'm not keen on cycling mainly because we live at the bottom of a big hill!

poshme Thu 28-Nov-13 19:43:59

So a good start- dog walk for 20 minutes, and 10 minutes of exercise DVD done.
Hoping to swim tomorrow.

bluebizzy Tue 03-Dec-13 00:54:56

Squats and lots of them! My instructor at the gym told me to do these when I told him I wanted to get ski fit.

Ragusa Sat 07-Dec-13 22:08:27

Cycling is brilliant for getting ski fit, providing you go up some hills. It must use the same muscles or something.

I am in the same position - going in Feb half term, unfit, and overweight. I'm an accident waiting to happen so I better get off my backside grin

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 07-Dec-13 22:12:13

We're going at Christmas and again mid January (we're not paying for Christmas).

I started running in September (couch25k) and i can now manage a sub 30 minute 5k. I hadn't exercised properly for 9 years (pre dc) so I'm feeling pretty proud of myself. I'm also feeling fitter and stronger. I haven't directly worked on my quads but there's no way they can still be as weak as they were!

Ragusa Sat 07-Dec-13 22:23:35

Wow, that's great, well done you. I should do similar.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 07-Dec-13 22:29:45

C25k is a good way of getting up running for a decent amount of time.

I used the NHS choices free one.

Ragusa Sat 07-Dec-13 23:31:58

WIll check it out, thanks.

snowgirl1 Mon 09-Dec-13 16:04:59

Agree with Bluebizzy - squats. They work the thighs and the bum (as long as you get low enough). As your thigh muscles get stronger, up the ante by doing the squats with weights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now