Good family resorts in Austria ?

(10 Posts)
theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 22-Mar-13 13:21:16

Hi there, am looking at half term holidays for 2014.

Now that I have scraped myself off the ceiling in shock at the prices it looks as if going to Austria with Inghams could be a lot more reasonable than going to France as we want to fly from Edinburgh.

I skied in Austria when I was younger and don't remember it being particularly good snow wise - is it generally lower than France? Anyone got any recommendations.

Failing that any way to cut the costs of skiing in the Feb half term would be gratefully received !

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 22-Mar-13 20:16:52

Zell am See is great for skiing - lots of different grade runs for a family at different levels and there's also a glacier set close enough to do a day or two on.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 22-Mar-13 21:02:29

Thanks - I had another look at France and some of the places aren't coming in too expensive. I want somewhere picturesque though so maybe Austria would be more scenic?

Reebie Fri 22-Mar-13 21:29:32

We are great fans of St Anton - leaving on Sunday for our 3rd holiday there. The skiing is amazing as is the night life and we managed to get a good deal by holding out until a few weeks before. Having skied a lot in France over the years I am now converted to Austria! The food and service whilst still hideously expensive is all so much better. Resort staff are charming and friendly and lunch stops are always a pleasure. I've heard that Obergurgl is awesome for families with young children.

NotSpartacus Fri 22-Mar-13 21:37:54

I'd strongly recommend Obergurgl and Hochgurgl.
They're high and the snow is often good - I have found snow in Austria far more reliable than France.
They are fantastic for learners and intermediates. Less so if you are all fantastic skiers, but my DH who is an excellent skier was happy enough for a week.
They are also less expensive than many resorts (we had good meals up the mountain for four for 30 Euros or so - which was a vast improvement on the Chf 17 omelette I once spotted in Switzerland).
Best thing about Obergurgl is there are not many beds for the piste space - so even when it is busy you don't queue for lifts or feel crowded on the runs.

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 22-Mar-13 22:28:02

Sounds lovely will check it out

We're off to Wagrain on Saturday - looks good, but not been there before. Very excited. Have skied St Anton - skiing was amazing, but I never saw it as it snowed ALL week (and that was at Easter!) and some friends went to Obergurgl recently and raved about it!

deste Sun 31-Mar-13 22:50:17

We went to Obergurgl and Hochgurgl this year and they say you can rely on the snow.

deste Sat 06-Apr-13 09:57:05

We went with Chrystal and they were excellent. Don't book as soon as the brochures come out. Watch the Internet prices and they will come down. We booked in December and got £200 off the price friends paid when the brochure came out.

DaisyFitz Mon 24-Jun-13 14:17:45

Obergurgl - lovely resort. St Anton - excellent snow park for the little kids (at Nasserein end of town away from the main drinking area)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now