Tipping the ski instructor!

(6 Posts)

Thanks Skilover! I think if they do an excellent job then it'll be logical to tip.. but for mediocre instructors I would feel very begrudging.

We're going to La Plagne 1800, the apartments are through Pierre & Vacances who I later found out are connected to Center Parcs, so no wonder they love adding extras hmm We're booking through Crystal who seemed as concerned as we were, and when I mentioned DH's serious shoulder injury and my upper back weakness they put "medical reasons" down and said that should hopefully do the trick. Which is good, but if we didn't have those (genuine) issues, it would still be darned unpleasant for families with pushchairs!

Skilover Wed 27-Mar-13 15:17:00

Hi there, we tipped our dd's instructor in Val Thorens earlier in the year as she had done a great job and dd had enjoyed her first ski school experience much to my relief! Are you going to Arc 1950 perchance as I know the guarantee system is on trial there this year and is causing lots of headaches. It was introduced in response to customers asking why they couldn't be in a specific apartment and to guarantee a fire place they are asking for 185€!!! It is the accommodation provider not the tour ops that are doing it though.
However requests are still being taken in to account and if you have booked with a company who has a Rep in resort, they will do their very best to help you. The creche there is also excellent so am sure that a spot of head butting won't be frowned upon too much.
Have fun and enjoy.

Thanks!!

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recalled a whip-round for the instructor when I went skiing in Bulgaria back in 2002, but until earlier this year I hadn't been skiing since! I had a private lesson in January, but it was just two hours. Glad to hear he probably wasn't mortally offended at the lack of tip if most people wouldn't just for one lesson!

Childcare staff shock - argh, that's another one to add to the list then! Two DC will be skiing, and the third will be in creche so long as he doesn't get booted out as he's recently developed a headbutting habit

We'll probably tip the DCs ski instructor/s then if they're any good.

We're getting 2x2.5 hour private lessons ourselves, so probably not worth tipping over unless they're absolutely exceptional? But then I picked them as their reviews suggest they are!

There really is no end to the add on expenses for a ski holiday it seems! Just been told we need to pay an extra 55 euros to "guarantee" a ground floor apartment in a five-floor building with no lifts. Despite the fact we have three very small DC, one still in a pushchair and all the ski gear etc. Unimpressed does not cover it.

RosamundLehmann Mon 18-Mar-13 19:26:20

Yes. I always tip the instructors at the end fo the week IF they have been good. They make a big contribution to the kids' enjoyment of the trip and the progress they make.
One year we had a woMan who was really not good, and we didn't tip her, but it helped us see that the good ones really put their heart into it and it really makes a difference. For a week's class We would give about 20 pounds for each of my DC and usually tell them we think they deserve a drink on us.

trixymalixy Sun 17-Mar-13 23:59:15

When I first started skiing there used to always be a whip round for the ski instructor. It seems to have died out, or I've been in a tight fisted ski group!!

I'd only tip a private instructor if they'd been teaching me the whole week not likely

We do tip chalet hosts and childcare staff though.

It never occurred to me to tip a ski instructor but I've read in a few forums online that maybe you are supposed to blush

Would this apply to just private instructors (every time, or at the end of a few private lessons?), or should it also be for group lessons or your child's teacher in a group lesson, say? What sort of amounts are we talking here?

Please tell me you're not supposed to tip instructors at ski slopes over here too shock

What do other people do?

Also, are there other people you're supposed to tip (on a ski holiday, obviously!) and how much? I left some money for the chalet hosts at a chalet I stayed in a few months ago but I had no idea if I'd insulted or delighted them with the amount!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now