Non-skiing parents, want to introduce DCs to skiing, help!

(32 Posts)
PoppyWearer Sat 12-Jan-13 23:37:04

I am a non-skier, have tried but didn't enjoy it. DH has an injury preventing him from skiing, although he did ski in the past.

We have two young DCs and want them to at least try skiing and make up their own minds, aware that the younger they start the better.

What's the best way to approach this? We're a bit reluctant to shell out for a ski holiday when neither DH nor I will be skiing, but at the same time want to give the DCs a fair chance to try it.

All ideas welcome!

TotallyBS Sun 13-Jan-13 11:16:23

Juneau - I am obviously not referring to the small three ski lifts and two motels 'resorts' dotted around New York State for example smile

All that I am saying is that if you aren't on a budget then North American resorts like Vail, Breckenridge, Whistler are great places for non skiers.

juneau Sun 13-Jan-13 11:46:08

I didn't think Breckenridge was that great for non-skiers, personally, and the altitude was a real problem for me - I could hardly breathe the first day - so I certainly wouldn't take small DC there for their first experience of skiing.

This OP too is talking about two beginner DC and herself and DH as non-skiers - I just don't think it's very helpful to advise her to go all the way over the USA to try skiing. Her DC will spend the first 2-3 days on the nursery slope, which they could do absolutely anywhere, ditto another 2-3 days trundling down greens or easy blues.

juneau Sun 13-Jan-13 11:51:29

OP I have another recommendation for you - Innsbruck or Salzburg. Both have direct flights from the UK, plenty of town stuff for you and DH to do, and nearby slopes for your DC to try skiing. It's very pretty there too - very chocolate-boxy Alpine views IYKWIM!

TotallyBS Sun 13-Jan-13 12:03:10

If the OP wanted advice about a skiing holiday for a family of novices then of course Europe would be my recommendation. Its only a few hours away and relatively cheap.

Ditto if OP was about a cheap skiing holiday.

But the OP was asking about the best place for adult non skiers.

PoppyWearer Sun 13-Jan-13 12:07:47

Wow, lots of great info here, thanks all!

Scotland sounds interesting, we want to go up there to visit friends anyway, although obviously snow less reliable.

It's good to hear that others have been on holidays as non-skiiers and survived!

clam Sun 13-Jan-13 14:20:07

Don't assume that all secondary schools run ski trips, though. Or that if they do, your child will make it on to the list.
My DCs school runs dozens of residential trips, but not skiing. As it happens, it doesn't matter for us, as we go every year as a family and I'm not sure how it would work out for my DCs, who are comfortable on black runs, to find a suitable ability group with the school. I'm sure they'd have a blast anyway, but at great cost.

Tasmania Mon 14-Jan-13 01:39:20

There ARE skiing camps out there you can send your kids to (without you). Depends on how old they are, but the camps start quite young! Think of it as a 1-week boarding school with skiing being the only subject taught.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now