Anyone been for a long weekend?

(8 Posts)
hillyhilly Mon 01-Oct-12 14:32:51

I have to choose - a week with the kids or a long weekend with the girls. Have been with kids a couple of times and so I know what to look for but not sure where to start when thinking about a long weekend. Any tips anyone?

mamhaf Mon 01-Oct-12 14:45:08

I've done this a few times.

Last time, flew Easyjet to Geneva, hired a car and booked an apartment via ownersabroad in Chatel.

But you can get to lots of resorts easily from Geneva - eg Chamonix is very close, and Morzine seemed good - someone staying there recommended an airport transfer service which means you wouldn't need to hire a car.

We have previously driven down for a long weekend, stayed in Brides-les-Bain at the hotel Altis val Verde. A 25 minute gondola trip then brings you out in Meribel.

Can i come? grin PM me if you want more detailed info.

mamhaf Mon 01-Oct-12 14:48:27

Btw I realised after the last trip that it's best to hire skis in resort as it was £50 to transport them with Easyjet.

If you take a car, then you can of course take everything you need and stock up in a French hypermarket on the way home. Driving itself is time-consuming, but so is hanging around airports.

We used Eurotunnel, and paid for it via Tesco Deals.

juneau Mon 01-Oct-12 15:02:12

The disadvantage of going for a long weekend is that you end up spending almost as much money as you would if you did a full week. If you're short of time then it may be worth it, but I'd rather go for a week if it was me!

I did a lot of weekend trips with DH before we had kids. We always travelled independently - Easyjet, taxi transfer, hotel, ski hire, lift pass, etc. There are a few companies that now do ski weekends - SkiWorld used to, but I think there's a lot more choice now. Do an online search.

SkiBumMum Mon 01-Oct-12 15:06:43

We do Cham for a long weekend. Works well as so close to Geneva.

mamhaf Mon 01-Oct-12 15:11:04

Agree with Juneau, it cost as much as a week, but seemed like a week anyway without the dc!

ChippyMinton Mon 01-Oct-12 17:55:10

Flights to Grenoble, car hire and hotel in Les Deux Alps is a workable option.

toomuchcoffeetoomuchwine Thu 04-Oct-12 00:43:38

Cham / Verbier / Avoriaz / Morzine all quick from Geneva. Private transfer companies available, I have got the train to Verb before also. Sometimes cheaper to fly BA once you factor in baggage & ski costs etc on sleazy jet.

From Turin Cervinia is a great option, with lovely Italian food. BA and I think Ryan Air fly there, beware hidden costs on the latter though, they charge a lot for skis / boards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now