Anyone been to La Tania

(11 Posts)
Olivermoliver Sun 22-Jul-12 09:08:53

Hi, have decided on La Tania for next Easter, seems perfect for families which is what we need as it will be us and our DS who will have just turned 5.
Has anyone been in the last couple of seasons and if so which company did you go with and which chalet did you stay in.
Down to a short list of 3 so some personal experiences would be useful!
Thanks

sandk Thu 26-Jul-12 22:23:02

We've been there twice, both times with Family Friendly Skiing, chalet Abigail a few years ago and chalet Nicole last year. We had a great time both visits and would very much recommend them!

Olivermoliver Sun 29-Jul-12 17:15:41

Thanks Sandk,

What did you think of La Tania, it seems ideal for our first ski holiday where our Ds will ski.

wonkylegs Sun 29-Jul-12 17:31:51

We've been a few times , last time was 2011 with 3yo & 6yo DNephew
We stayed at Ski Dazzles Chalet Dahu, this is the second time we've stayed there(when DNephew was 2) - was great & kids liked it, food included. Really convenient location too & I love the hot tub. DNephew (first time) in 2011 had lessons with New Generation as did Granny (refresher) and both would thoroughly recommend them. In fact I've already decided I'm booking them for me if I'm well enough to ski next year.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 01-Aug-12 10:45:28

Have not ever stayed there, but have skid there a lot when staying in other three valleys places. Have considered staying there, but my only reservation is that it is low, and snow can get patchy in the afternoons, and at the bootom whwere the pistes converge can be dicey.They have snow cannons, so plenty of snow in the monring, but can be icy before the sun comes round to that side of the mountain. Also, if it is the first time, not a problem for you, but when it is windy or snowing, the chairlift up to courchevel is either stoped, or unpleasant and cold at the top.
As woth everywhere, when ther is plenty of sunshine and snow, it fabulous - just not so gof if conditions are worse.

IWishICouldThinkOfAFabName Thu 06-Sep-12 21:47:24

Glad i am not the only one thinking about next years ski holiday only 3 days after the summer one has ended.
We have stayed in La Tania for 3 times over the last 5 years and it remains one of my favourite resorts. The bubble lift takes you up to about 1800 and then you need to take a chair lift. From here you can ski into Courcheval 1850 - or go the other way and head into Meribel. It is a fantastic ski area.

At the top of the bubble is a very small magic carpet for little ones - it was new 2 years ago. The only magic carpet in resort is in the ESF area. There is a free button lift in resort at the bottom of the blue Folyeres run.
I would also recommend New Generation for ski lessons but if your 5 year old is a first time skier then bear in mind that the only non ESF magic carpet is at the top of the bubble. For a 5 year old you would need to buy a pass for the bubble to get them to this. So for a first time skier I would consider using ESF as they have the snow garden. Once they are out the snow garden then it would be Newgen all the way.

We have stayed with Family Friendly skiing in Chalet Abigail - they were great and I would recommend them. Also, look at Ski Magic who have a similar set up. Both will provide English speaking nannies for all day childcare, or just lunch time and afternoon care. Very flexible.
As with any chalet, the food is only as good as the chalet host - we had great food with both companies.

I agree that La Tania is a little low for Easter at only 1300 but they have improved the snow cannons. If snow is sparse you may find that the red run and green run into resort are closed and you have to take the blue run ( theFolyeres) as they work hard to keep this one open. The Folyeres is an lovely piste through the trees but harder than most blue runs - I don't think my 5 year old could do it yet. However, you can always take the bubble lift back down into resort.

The 3 Vallees does get quite busy at Easter.

Tilly28 Thu 06-Sep-12 22:04:21

I stayed with family friendly skiing from being a young child, until I ended up working for them as a nanny a few seasons ago!! We used to go as a large family and fill a couple of their chalets so I'd definitely recommend them! Also as its a smaller company there's a much more personal feel! La Tania is amazing and I'm a little bit jealous I won't be able to head out there next year!!! :-)

Olivermoliver Sat 08-Sep-12 20:27:38

Booked last night after sleazyjet finally released their Easter flights. Need to sort ski school for DS for the mornings and then we'll have fun as a family in the afternoons. Will probably be the least skiing we will ever do but he's only little for a while and will be whizzing past me in a couple of years, v excited! grin

CaurnieBred Mon 10-Sep-12 22:08:18

We went there in 2009 and 2010 and both times DD went to ESF (aged 4 and 5) - we just booked all her lessons with them online and I think we had to fax some stuff through but it was really simple. The snow garden is great and then you can pootle around later on with them on the free button lift and then go bum boarding in the area down by the Gondola. DD also loved going up in the Gondola (we were staying with Le Ski so the nannies from there would take the kids up and we could meet them there).

If you aren't aware of it, have a look at www.latania.co.uk/ especially for the video snow reports that the landlord of the Ski Lodge posts weekly - I still watch them even though we aren't going there!

Olivermoliver Thu 13-Sep-12 18:52:23

Thanks Caurniebred, how did you find ESF? They get mixed press but from a location and no need to buy DS a lift pass perspective it seems the best option for us. Although lessons start at 9am and nine if us are great at getting up blush

CaurnieBred Sun 16-Sep-12 21:45:37

OM: ESF do do afternoon sessions too if the 0900 hrs are too early - see here We had no issues; one of the instructors was British the first year. Also, when she was there, there were some nannies from Esprit and Family Friendly Skiing that were in the Garden to look after their charges who seemed to be helping out a bit (getting the wee ones onto the travelator). The kids have a break half way through their lesson and they can either go into the little hut or into the ski school itself (make sure you give them a snack to take with them). DD certainly had no issues about going and was happy to get her star at the end of the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now