Post the best bit of advice you've ever received and have a chance to win £100 M&S vouchers (and help Breakthrough Breast Cancer charity)

(245 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 10-Sep-09 10:42:46

Mumsnet are working with cancer charity Breakthrough Breast Cancer in the run up to October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Breakthrough want to discover the best piece of advice you've ever had (about anything, life, love, health, children - whatever). In return they will be giving life-saving breast awareness advice and practical ways of reducing their risk of developing breast cancer by fielding a panel of experts who are happy to answer your breast cancer queries. Click here to ask your breast cancer question.

Everyone sharing their favourite piece of advice between now and Sept 21st will be entered into a prize draw to win £100 of Marks & Spencer vouchers.

On 1st October we'll come back with a top ten list of the most helpful bits of advice submitted (judged by Breakthrough) along with the answers to people’s most common breast cancer questions. The tips will be used to help publicise Breakthrough's breast cancer awareness advice.

Good luck,

MNHQ

Mamazon Thu 10-Sep-09 10:45:50

Don't sweat the small stuff.

IF it don't hurt it don't matter.

He wont buy the cow if he can get the milk for free

Even the very worse day will end and you get to try again with a nice fresh one when you wake up

trust your instincts, you have them for a reason

Flamesparrow Thu 10-Sep-09 10:47:52

Don't set a time you plan to breastfeed for (6 months etc). Plan to breastfeed for "today", or even just for "this feed". After a while you realise that "just this feed" has been 6 months, and there is no feeling of failure when you decide to stop as you haven't stopped before some golden time goal.

Flamesparrow Thu 10-Sep-09 10:48:25

"He wont buy the cow if he can get the milk for free" - are you my mum???

Flamesparrow Thu 10-Sep-09 10:48:51

It all works out somehow.

SoupDragon Thu 10-Sep-09 10:52:03

"You will bribe your child with chocolate" a very wise friend on meeting my newborn PFB with her 2 toddlers (and a packet of chocolate buttons) in tow.

BennyAndJoon Thu 10-Sep-09 10:52:36

Whatever stage of yout childs life you are struggling with, from BF nipple pain, distructive toddlers spreading nappy cream on the carpet, tantrums, teens or bath phobia... always remember that "this too shall pass"

saggarmakersbottomknocker Thu 10-Sep-09 10:53:17

Mine is in regard to teens;

If's it's not illegal, immoral or annoying the neighbours then don't fight about it. In other words, pick your battles.

[weary]

cyteen Thu 10-Sep-09 10:55:06

Everything in life is so much easier to deal with if you have a comfortable bed to retreat to at the end of the day.

Bramshott Thu 10-Sep-09 11:11:31

It's not always necessary to "win" or even "finish" an argument. Sometimes there are just things that need to be said, and then left to digest.

When you fall in love with your husband, it's very unlikely that it will be last time you ever fall in love (from very wise, elderly lady friend!)

choccyp1g Thu 10-Sep-09 11:18:07

Best advice I ever received was:
JFDI
Just F**ing do it.

deepdarkwood Thu 10-Sep-09 11:20:30

Surely the all time classic tip is ....
"It's just a stage"

Equally appropriate to (nearly) all parenting, relationship and career problems.

CMOTdibbler Thu 10-Sep-09 11:20:45

Do as you would be done by

Flamesparrow Thu 10-Sep-09 11:22:06

shock Bramshott - not necessary to WIN?!?!?!?!!?

WowOoo Thu 10-Sep-09 11:24:22

To imagine looking back on your life and thinking:
What was really important, what made a difference?
How other people, especially family will think of and remember you. Act accordingly!

My grandad also said don't sweat small stuff. You'll be dead before you know it, so make the best of it.

And.. look at the stars, moon and clouds whenever you get the chance as this will help you remember how insignificant you are and how precious and beautiful life is.

Love him!

mollyroger Thu 10-Sep-09 11:25:51

''shy bairns get nae sweeties''
It is OK to ask and to be just a little bit pushy sometimes (As a not-very-assertive and unconfident person, I really only learned this a couple of years ago and it has helped me find my voice and to realise that the worst that can happen is someone saying 'no' and actually, that's not so bad......)

And talking of which, the other bit of advice I have recently learned to take is
It is OK to say 'no' to people

WowOoo Thu 10-Sep-09 11:26:15

(So can I be entered into comp 3 times now?! Ooops, got carried away there)

Pick your battles wisely.

Be kind to yourself.

If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Loving someone doesn't mean having to like them all the time.

Measure twice, cut once.

LittleMissNorty Thu 10-Sep-09 11:45:07

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

Engage brain before opening gob grin

cyteen Thu 10-Sep-09 11:46:28

Not really advice, but a brilliant piece of gloom-mongering social comment from my friend's dad: "Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you got, the less shit you eat."

emsiewill Thu 10-Sep-09 11:52:18

My dad told me when I was about 15

"Politeness costs nothing, but by 'eck it pays dividends". (has to be said in a northern accent).

I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

BitOfFun Thu 10-Sep-09 11:57:35

"If you ask, you might be a fool for five minutes. If you don't ask, you'll be a fool forever."

Katz Thu 10-Sep-09 12:01:31

when being given advice, listen nod and smile then do your own thing!

LadyThompson Thu 10-Sep-09 12:05:35

"Enjoy every sandwich"

LadyGooGoo Thu 10-Sep-09 12:06:20

Mine's one I've learnt from a habit my DH has:

If having an arguement, say sorry - even if you have nothing to apologise for, find something, tone of voice whatever. It takes the wind out of any fight and,once tempers have simmered down, you inevitably realise you were being unreasonable about something!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now