Hijacked by pop up adds -driving me MAD!!!!

(9 Posts)
JayTree Sun 04-May-03 07:23:07

Is anyone else finding pop up adds on this site driving them nuts?? I have just been trying to read the lengthy and interesting thread on education - private or state and keep getting a fullsize screen from "ads.adviva.net/adserve..." flashing in front. Each time I close it it comes back, even reducing the size doen’t stop it as it still comes to the front making typing impossible AAAAAGH I hate pop up adds and this one is a real pain as it wont go away - even now AAAAAGH - I am going to have to log out as I am starting to pull my hair out. Mumsnet - please help stop this adding rubbish... Logging out now!

SueW Sun 04-May-03 07:44:23

I'm not getting any.

breeze Sun 04-May-03 08:49:56

I find that if I go to thread about weight loss, I get diet pop-ups and sometimes when I close then I get thrown out of mumsnet as well.

SoupDragon Sun 04-May-03 09:41:53

I don't get any either - not from Mumsnet anyway. I get them elsewhere.

lucy123 Sun 04-May-03 10:28:02

Jaytree - I don't get any pop-ups. Is it possible you have some sort of ad-ware / spy-ware programme on your computer? These programmes come bundled in with some free software and give you lots of ads at sites that don't normally have them.

Try getting ad-aware - it's a free programme that will search for these types of things.

badjelly Tue 06-May-03 09:48:26

Jaytree, glad it's not just me - they're EVERYWHERE these days and it's DOING MY NUT!!!!!

GillW Tue 06-May-03 10:24:42

You can download a free pop-up stopper program from here

Jaytree - if it's just the one site causing you problems you could also try this, which is a slightly more technical solution.

Depending upon which operating system you have on your PC try to locate the "hosts" file. This should be at:

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

It is possible that this file will not exist - it doesn't matter, you can create one using notepad.

Either creating a new file, or editing the existing one, make sure you have a line which reads (without the quotes)
"127.0.0.1 localhost"

below that add a line which reads
"0.0.0.0 ads.adviva.net"

Save the file, and it should get rid of the popups (you may see a file not found message instead in some circumstances). There's more information about how this works here , and a much longer list of advert sites you might also want to block here .

crystaltips Tue 06-May-03 10:54:52

I had the same complaint !
See "Annoying Pop-ups" thread. I followed GillW's fix and have not suffered since. She gives you full instructions of what to do.
Thanks gain GillW !

masterchef1 Thu 02-May-13 03:17:19

damn those pop ups!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now