MPs' expenses: things for policywonk to say if she gets the chance

(259 Posts)
policywonk Tue 19-May-09 17:15:35

So I'm off tomorrow afternoon to this panel discussion thing: here are the details

I'll go through the old thread tonight but post any more stuff here. Y'know, if you want to.

<yawns> I'm SO OVER MPs' expenses. wink

My query would be about how MPs feel that they can reconcile their desire for increasing amounts of information about us (the 'if you've nothing to hide then what's the problem' school of politics) and their own desire for privacy and the belief that the public have no entitlement to know anything about them.

The repution of politics will not improve until there is some parity between politicians and us, the great unwashed.

That is very interesting, policy. I have been thinking that it was odd that all this should have come via the Telegraph when so many Tories were obviously going to be implicated. It has certainly been extremely effective in taking attention away from the more slippery targets in the financial industry.

theyoungvisiter Sat 23-May-09 21:38:59

btw I see Policy already mentioned Nadine Dorries but did anyone else larf on hearing her speech?

Sooooooo misguided, I almost wondered if the Telegraph had written it for her, just to add fuel to the flames grin

Nadine Dorries made me cringe. Anthony Steen on the other hand was utterly hilarious.

LeninGrad Sat 23-May-09 23:02:12

Do journalists really earn that much, I had no idea.

Yes, it's not getting us any closer to social equality or stopping the world so we can all get off for a minute is it?

Still, it needed to come out and I'd rather there was tension between big business and politicians than not. Seems to me that too many of the latter were in thrall to the former and maybe there will be even more of an incentive for that to change now anyway, especially if the politicians were dropped in it by big business.

Once the fuss has died down, of course.

Quattrocento Sat 23-May-09 23:12:13

Policy, I heart you, I do really but this conspiracy theory is only one stop away from Barking.

I think it was Peter York's conspiracy theory, not Policy's, Quattro. What is it particularly that seems so far fetched to you?

V much agree with you, Lenin, about big business and politicians. Would heartily recommend Robert Peston's book "Who Runs Britain" on this subject.

edam Sun 24-May-09 20:24:51

Most journalists don't earn anything like that much. A few star columnists and very senior people on the nationals might.

Think I said further down my friend took a cut to go to a national from a trade mag - he must have been in the early 30ks at Emap, so Mail obviously pays reporters less than that.

One of the magazines I edited was VERY tightfisted. I had someone who was very junior acting up to cover a more senior post while we advertised. My publisher wouldn't let me pay her anything extra for it, all I could get her were some shopping vouchers (£100 IIRC). That's for acting up in a senior role for three months! (She got the job, actually, was v. v. good.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now