We need your costume ideas for World Book Day

(135 Posts)
CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Feb-09 14:56:05

Yes, we need your hot tips for costumes for World Book Day. Have you put together an outfit for your child that went down a storm or do you struggle to find anything within your budget if you can't sew a stitch?

ClaireLouise44 Sat 01-Mar-14 08:51:43

My son needs to dress up as a nursery rhyme character on Thursday for world book week but I haven't got much cash. as anyone got any suggestions....I don't have time to make a paper-mashy humpty dumpty

emmaMBC Mon 03-Mar-14 17:27:41

The perfect last minute, easy peasy 'costume' would be this one I've found .... wocket in my pocket!!

How genius is that?!?!
www.mybookcorner.com.au/articles/1041-best-homemade-costumes-for-world-book-day

tallulalula Wed 05-Mar-14 11:25:38

I thought I could wave goodbye to costumes at school, but my 21yr old is teaching sports at a primary .... just received a sneaky break-time text that he needs a costume for tomorrows WBD .... HELP!!!!

5madthings Wed 05-Mar-14 11:50:45

Fab. Ds3 is going as fantastic Mr Fox. A waistcoat, cap and have bought a tail. Ds4 is going as Mr bump, blue clothes and making a Mr bump body out of cardboard and painting it, easy peasy.

Some fab ideas on here, love burglar Bill!

TiggyCBE Wed 05-Mar-14 16:36:25

I still think that you'll never beat Hitler. A black trouser and shirt outfit, swastika armbands, a copy of Mein Kampf, a pickled onion for a testicle in a jar, draw on a moustache, viola! A little Hitler to impress any teacher.

PipkinsPal Wed 05-Mar-14 16:38:04

The easiest I can think of is Miffy. Plenty of rabbit ears in the shops now because of the long run up to Easter.

motherinferior Wed 05-Mar-14 16:41:56

I have to say my kids take it as read they'll have to fix their own costumes blush

The 10 year old is going as Sally Lockheart from Pullman's Ruby in the Smoke series (if SL wore black patent DM boots) and the 13 year old as one of those heroines from endless bloody dystopic fantasies, involving black jeans black T-shirt black Converse.

jhardcas123 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:49:51

My very brave 10 year old son came up with the idea of wearing a dress (The Boy in the dress). He's got a dress an ready to go - don't know how many other boys would go for this?

iloveweetos Wed 05-Mar-14 19:54:51

Does it make me a terrible mother that I can't be assed to send dd in anything but just school uniform?

elportodelgato Wed 05-Mar-14 19:57:13

I have just say with DD and made a crocodile head out of cardboard so she can go as the crocodile from Peter Pan. 'Twas surprisingly easy and she is just wearing green clothes on the rest of her. Oh, and a clock for her to wear round her neck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now