We need your costume ideas for World Book Day

(135 Posts)
CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Feb-09 14:56:05

Yes, we need your hot tips for costumes for World Book Day. Have you put together an outfit for your child that went down a storm or do you struggle to find anything within your budget if you can't sew a stitch?

Pollyanna Thu 26-Feb-09 20:38:24

my dd is doing winnie the witch too. ds went as horrid henry one year (not v convincingly!)

surreylady Thu 26-Feb-09 20:43:31

DS - This Year - Tom from Tom's midnight Garden (so stripey Pj's and a dressing gown) last Year - The Golden Compass from the Golden Compass - he made it from a large cardboard box and we made shoulder straps - he really enjoyed making it and it was unique. He was 8 at the time.

Aefondkiss Thu 26-Feb-09 20:48:06

my dd wanted to go as a unicorn - from some unicorn book she has, but I refused because we had only a few days notice from the school that they were to dress up, so she went as her favourite greek goddess from the Odyssey - Athena, it was pretty easy to alter an old night gown, and dh and I were close to divorce whilst constructing a helmet, from silver card I had purchased the day before the event, she had a broom shaft staff of wisdom and a cardboard shield dh and dd made with an owl painted on it - she won a prize, which was a book she,very ungratefully, pointed out that she already had at homeblush

ds at nursery went as an owl, from the owl and the pussy cat one year, we used an old t-shirt and some old material for wings, he took a wee pea green boat and a ukelele as his small guitar.... and I was the pussy cat (because parents were asked to dress up too, I wish I had forgotten that)

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 20:51:03

nursery rhyme ones for younger kids

one shoe off and one shoe on - diddle diddle dumpling
blue and white stripey t-shirt, blue trousers, shoes with home made cardboard/foil silver buckles bobby shaftoe
sailor suit/rain gear and sau'wester and a fish drawn on a paper plate - dance to your daddy

red top, black bottoms, smart button stickers/a cardboard bearskin hat, hobby horse - grand old duke of york

blue denim dungas, blue shirt, red bandana , blue flat cap - engine driver from Down By the Station

brown paper band tied round his head with string, bucket - jack from jack and jill

king costume, cardboard pipe, plastic bowl, cardboard fiddle - old king cole

all in brown, clock face paint, toy mouse - hickory dickory dock's clock

big shorts, a huge t-shirt and a cushion up it, rosy facepaint cheeks and stripey socks - Humpty.
Adult shirt as a nightgown, long pointy hat and a teddy/candle stick - wee willy winkie

all in blue, carrying a toy trumpet - little boy blue

king costume, cloth bag of toy money - the king from sing a song of sixpence

blue trouser, white grown up shirt, puffy paper hat - pattacake baker's man/simple simon's pieman

Divineintervention Thu 26-Feb-09 20:52:51

Charlotte's Web, black trousers, black tee long sleeved Tee shirt, with four extra arms sewn on (made out of rolled black felt, it was quite stiff and easy to shape into legs) these were linked by elastic to eachother and then around the wrists. I also made eight eyes on a head band, black pom poms with white felt circles and little wobbly eyes on top! This was more successful than any bought costume or more tricky leopard or tiger suits I've made!!

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 21:01:15

a caterpillar - dress all in green green. Join coloured in paper plates together with paper fasteners so you have a caterpiller as tall as the kid then attache to one ankle (tie with abit of ribbon or something) head paper plate on a stick. as the kid moves, the caterpillar moves. Tres cool.

Dd going as puss in boots this year, Ds wants to go as dumbledore! so I'm searching for a white wig and beard.
Other years we've had white witch, peter from lion witch and the wardrobe. Harry potter. Cat in the hat.

Jajas Thu 26-Feb-09 21:16:32

God I'm so utterly useless at this sort of stuff. I was going to send my twins as two pirates from Pirate Dinosaurs, but where or where do I get a pirate outfit from now that Woolies has closed down!

stealthsquiggle Thu 26-Feb-09 21:19:58

You can have all of my ideas - DS's school are not dressing up sad - Head has too much empathy with hassled mothers - but I like making costumes (maybe not quite as much as Califrau but she has lots of random American excuses to do it) - give me a theme and I am away (all night, generally, since I have no time otherwise).

I made DS a fab Captain Patch (The Night Pirates) a couple of years ago - women's size 8 red cord jacket from jumble sale heavily 'customised', leggings with patches sewn on, crossed belts and a cowboy hat stapled to make a tricorn (with patches of course). And boots with turnover tops. It's available for hire grin.

I like this stuff. I am certifiable, I know, but would someone like to lend me a DC to dress up hmm?

janeite Thu 26-Feb-09 21:22:10

Pirate costumes are simple; you don't need to buy one! Rolled up jeans, a stripey t-shirt, a bandana, draw on a beard, sorted. Can go further with a homemade sword, eye patch, parrot etc if you want.

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 21:28:06

actually Squig, we don't do world book day at all <sigh>The only time they dress up at school is for Halloween and both boys wanted bought costumes. I haven't made a costume since we left Germany [glum]. (they still dress up at home tho!)
(and you never did post your capt'n patch costume photos!)

I made a pirate costume out of a pair of jeans that my DS had just gone through the knee of - cut them off at about 3/4 length and ragged the bottoms, stripey t-shirt and eye patch (that we already had) and a bandanna. Made a pirate hat out of cardboard
DS1 is very anti face paints so refused but an eye liner moustache and scar would work a treat. Also had a toy parrot and a leather drawstring bag of choc coins.

choosyfloosy Thu 26-Feb-09 21:29:20

stealthsquiggle - stick an advert up a discreet distance from a school that is still in thrall to this event, and watch yourself get inundated with responses! You may have a business on your hands there...

stealthsquiggle Thu 26-Feb-09 21:37:07

There now, Califrau - how very dare your DS's opt for store-bought costumes shock? Do you want to go into business or are you too busy making banners grin?

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 21:50:35

TWO banners on the go this week so I am fine without costumes for now wink

GossipMonger Thu 26-Feb-09 21:59:31

oooh I am soooo excited about WBD blush

We have the Mr Men and Little Miss theme to work from with our own interpretation of the character and I have to dress up too!! grin

DS1 is Mr Funny.

He is wearing a size 22 lime tshirt from Peacocks (£1) with lime green legwarmers (£1), yellow washing up gloves and DH has made him a big yellow hat with a flower sticking out of it. He is going to carry 2 joke books as well.

DS2 is Mr Tickle.

He is wearing a huge orange tshirt (Charity Shop £3!) and I found some long orangey feather thing from the market for his arms. I cut out 2 orange hands from cardboard and put it all together and a little blue hat which we made today.

I am going as Little Miss Contrary.

Black thermals. Huge red/orange pashmina pinned all over me, yellow curly wig and glasses.

LOL!! How sad that I cannot wait for next Friday!! grin

My DS went as Twoflower from Sir Terry Pratchett's 'Colour of Magic'.
Hawian -type shirt with chinese dragons on it, 'Howard' glasses free from the Halifax, an old exercise book with prases in Bes Palargic and english translations written in it and some large gold card discs that I had helped to decorate as coins. I think he was 10 at the time and it was all stuff we had in the house.

Jajas Thu 26-Feb-09 22:01:54

I couldn't even make a cardboard hat to be honest blush. Have just purchased pirate outfit on ebay I'm ashamed to say. Trouble is if I don't I will just procrastinate and then the evil day will arrive and guess what? No costume, tears and recriminations all round! Unbelievably feeble....

gigglewitch Thu 26-Feb-09 22:15:20

ds1 - in year two at the time and cool for school, went as 'The gingerbread man' (horrid henry and co had been banned grin) in brown top and trousers, big black cardboard buttons stuck on and black face paint on his nose and around his eyes; also with a banner proclaiming "You can't catch me - I'm a gingerbread man!"
oh, and a box of mini gingerbread men grin in case anyone / fox did catch him!!!

traceymumof3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:20:11

Last year my oldest went as Tracey Beaker, and the youngest went as little miss muffet, this year all the children are going to be pirates, which hasn't gone down to well with my 2 girls !!!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 26-Feb-09 22:39:02

What did you do for Tracey Beaker, please? [not that I think DD will be diverted from the impossible Toto]

PillicockSatOnPillicockHill Thu 26-Feb-09 22:42:23

my dd won a world book day competition when i dressed her as the illustrated mum

hippyish outfit and tattoos easy!

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 23:08:53

oooh gossip! 10/10!

Niecie Fri 27-Feb-09 00:31:06

DS1 is going to be Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III from the Cressida Cowl books.

I have bought a viking helmet from ebay, I am making him a 'fur' gilet, he can wear his roman tunic from last year and one of my leather belts round his middle. I might even lend him my large pewter celtic design brooch. (He will be wearing trousers too).

DS2 is going as fantastic Mr Fox as he was a fox for Percy the Park keeper Day last term and I knitted him a fox's tail with a bit of white fun fur at the end. I made him some ears by sticking the wool onto pieces of card. Having made that I intend to get some more use out of it!!

DS1 has been Charlie Bucket before now which is really easy - just get some old clothes, preferably too small, sew on some rough patches of fabric and make a golden ticket to cart around all day. I even typed the words out from the book to stick on it although it isn't necessary.

We live next to the school and looking out of the window on WBD all you can see are scores of little girls dressed up in Disney Cinderella dresses and boys in Harry Potter capes. Never send your child as either!!!

FAQinglovely Fri 27-Feb-09 00:41:11

DS2's infant school have come up with a brilliant idea for the day.

They've come up with a "theme" of "Bedtime Stories" - and so all the children will be going to school in their PJ's - armed with favourite bedtime story and/or favourite teddy bear.

MouseMate Fri 27-Feb-09 05:54:32

Witch outfit with hair plaited and a bow on end, carrying wand and broomstick with cut out pictures of a cat, dog, frog, green parrot.

Room on the Broom, Julia Donaldson.

Last year did mouse outfit (bought sadly) for the Gruffalo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now