We need your costume ideas for World Book Day

(135 Posts)
CatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-Feb-09 14:56:05

Yes, we need your hot tips for costumes for World Book Day. Have you put together an outfit for your child that went down a storm or do you struggle to find anything within your budget if you can't sew a stitch?

ToiletRollCover Thu 26-Feb-09 16:03:21

Costumes for characters from books? I cobbled together a "Hungriest Caterpillar" costume together for DS1 by cutting and stitching an old green sleeping bag. Good job it was cold (was New Years Eve) as it was quite cosy!!!

MaureenMLove Thu 26-Feb-09 16:05:44

I did Mary Poppins for DD when she was in Yr5 or 6. It was a costume that I'd worn to a fancy dress party and I just got a small white blouse and black skirt from a charity shop. The hat, apron and umbrella were already made and stashed somewhere, for just such an occassion.

Fimbo Thu 26-Feb-09 16:08:16

Rainbow Fairies are easy - just dress your dd in her own clothes!

Reality is any fairy is good - wand, tiara and dressing up dress. My dd did this one year and went with her toothfairy book (an authentic tooth in a little pouch/purse on a string adds to the effect!)

If all else fails and you can't sew, get an outfit from Ebay (my old fallback!)

TigerFeet Thu 26-Feb-09 16:08:18

Oh shit when's World Book Day?

DD's class have a Peter Pan theme and thankfully she got a Tinkerbell dress for Christmas so we're sorted - just need to know what day to send her to school in it!

MaureenMLove Thu 26-Feb-09 16:09:37

It's usually about 4th March, but some schools save it for a Friday.

TigerFeet Thu 26-Feb-09 16:13:00

I'm going to have to ask her teacher aren't I? And show myself up as one of those parents who throw letters away without digesting the contents

choosyfloosy Thu 26-Feb-09 16:15:30

If ds has to do it this year (Reception), i'm sending him as Mrs Armitage and the Big Wave - surfboard, his swimming shorts, any old t-shirt, toy dog (as Breakspear) and i will make him an eye-shade from cardboard if I get round to it.

He went as Duck (as in Duck in a Truck) last year - this is quite good - any white clothes they have, the nearest thing they have to orange socks, plus make a cardboard duck beak.

The main things to have in the house for costumes is plenty of elastic, safety pins and a stapler!

uptomyeyes Thu 26-Feb-09 16:18:50

Horrid Henry's Nits. Wear Horrid Henry type cloths, find a big old wig (or Halloween wig), find yourself an information leaflet about head lice, photocopy and zoom in on the anatomical drawings of adult lice. Cut out the pictures and attach to pipe cleaners wired in to the wig.

LunarSea Thu 26-Feb-09 16:19:20

If they're young enough, then Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs is easy.

bradsmissus Thu 26-Feb-09 16:21:06

In my DDs class, the year before last, about 90% of the boys wore football kits. The next year the letter said "please bring the book so we can see your character" - it backfired as they all brought in their football annuals and still wore their kits!!! This year the letter says no football kits please!!!!!

DS nursery are doing it and he wants to be Jack from Jack and the beanstalk, his name is Jack so he thinks he can just wear his own clothes!!! I don't think he's got the hang of the whole dressing up lark!!!

Peachy Thu 26-Feb-09 16:21:38

ds1 hasdecided to o as Dracula with a pretty standard cobbled together vampire outfit

ds2 iswearing some nasty briht green trousers I bought fromEbay for a reason I will neer know (!), orange shirt, orange face paint and green curl;y wig as an Oompa Loompa

Ours is a week late though to allow for the Eisteddfodd celebrations

choosyfloosy Thu 26-Feb-09 16:29:32

I'm outraged at the anti-football-kit measure. Asking to bring in the book is fair enough, but if they really enjoy reading their football annual (and who's to say that they don't) then that should deffo be spun as a good thing, and they should be asked to read something they enjoyed from it.

Isn't it supposed to be about reading, not about scouring the poor parents' brains for costumes?

Hebble Thu 26-Feb-09 16:33:44

My DD is in reception and going as Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland - got princess dress and cut out lots of hearts to pin on and made a crown - she's done most of it herself

bradsmissus Thu 26-Feb-09 16:43:49

I know choosy - alot of the Mum's are fed up about it. In general, the boys are not that interested in dressing up, they feel self conscious and embarassed. What annoyed them most is that alot of the girls went in a shop bought fairy/princess dress with reference to no fairy/princess book in particular and this was ok with the school.

I think WBD was invented by some group of evil education types to torture parents and their children!!!!

bradsmissus Thu 26-Feb-09 16:45:44

Oh and also, they had a book shop open in the library for the whole week and guess what they were selling? Football annuals!!!!

Reading is reading!

Stayingsunnygirl Thu 26-Feb-09 16:52:27

I once sent ds2 in shorts and a shirt, blue wellies and carrying all the Winnie-the-Pooh characters and a big blue umbrella.

The same year, my best friend put her ds in a 'Where's Wally' costume she made - which went down a storm. There were a lot of Harry Potters in the playground that day too. It is a nice easy one to do - school uniform and a cape, plus scar on forehead.

Marne Thu 26-Feb-09 16:56:31

Dd'1 has to dress up on the 6th of March, she's in reception (our first time dressing up for book week), i havn't got a clue what to dress her in, i have a feeling she will ask to go as Biff or Kipper grin. Asda have Mr men and Little Miss costumes.

schneebly Thu 26-Feb-09 16:59:15

I was thinking of sending my DS as Mr Bump (quite apt for him) - don't really rate the Mr Men books but thought the costume would be easy! Lots of bandages/plasters etc. Might draw the line at painting him blue though.

schneebly Thu 26-Feb-09 16:59:54

I also thought about Prince Charming

GrimmaTheNome Thu 26-Feb-09 17:11:53

Oh am I glad to see this thread. Last year I excelled myself with a Captain Hook outfit for my DD - I made a really good pirate hat and cutlass, and a jacket of mine was just right with some gold braid added as a frock coat, with an old white blouse belted underneath.

She was going to wear it again this year, until the notice came home saying they had to come as a 'goodie' shock. I can't think of anything suitable for a 10 year old girl that actually looks distinctively like a goodie in a book, which is also within my powers of creation [no, I can't make an Aslan costume]. The only 'dressing up' outfit that still fits her is a witch outfit.

Hassled Thu 26-Feb-09 17:27:44

DS2 and DS3 are nearly always James Bond. It's dead easy if you have a jacket and they already have black trousers - I've made bow ties in the past but recently broke down and bought some.

Sxx Thu 26-Feb-09 17:28:31

The cat in the hat is nice and easy! Black clothes, red and white stripey hat made from cardboard a tail made from an old pair of black tights, stuff one leg with anything you can find, socks, tissue paper, whatever, then tie the other leg around waist to hold tail in place. Use an eyeliner pencil to draw on a nose and whiskers. xx

SniffyHock Thu 26-Feb-09 17:38:12

DS is mad on firefighters so is going in a Fireman's uniform. We have a few books on the subject, both fiction and non-fiction. School have been doing a push on non-fiction so it's quite nice to dress up as something from one of them (especially useful for boys).

MrsWeasley Thu 26-Feb-09 18:03:10

Marne My DD went as Biff. Dead easy normal clothes then we made a big shiny magic key which she carried with her grin

weaselboy Thu 26-Feb-09 18:04:07

Fantastic mr fox, rubber chicken, fun fur fox tabard( ebay) empty milk thing marked " cider"

MrsWeasley Thu 26-Feb-09 18:07:10

I saw one or read about one a while ago it was the Pied Piper: Normal trousers and a shirt, carry a tin whistle (or recorder) get some plastic rats - tie them to a pieces of string, then tie the strings to a belt. you could add a hat too if you had one (to the child not the rats grin)

My favourite for girls(because it is easywink) is Red Riding Hood,
I made a simply red cloak, dress or skirt and blouse underneath, a little basket with some cakes or cookies (real or plastic)

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 18:18:11

Have I not shared enough? <sigh>

School a friend of mine worked in got the teachers to dress up as a character from their favourite book.
She asked me to guess which character the somewhat solemn male teacher was. He was dressed in : Shorts,shirt, sandals and had a catapult.

Where's Wally?-no
Just William-no
Eh, someone fron The Famous Five?-nope

David as in David and Goliath from The Bible!

madhairday Thu 26-Feb-09 18:53:19

lol @ David

Last year my dd went as Tabitha Twitchett from Tom Kitten, we found a frilly apron and tied it over an old princess and the pauper pink dress, black tights for tail, painted on paws/whiskers, made cat ears and she carried 'Tom' with a hairbrush which she kept brushing him with, lol.

This yr she wants to go as Gabriella from HSM. hmm Tried to tell her this is not strictly book based, but she got her HSM annual to prove it. lol.

memoo Thu 26-Feb-09 18:57:40

spare a thought for school teaching staff like me! I'm a reception TA and I have to dress up too!

I hate it and have no idea what to wear as I am pregnant and nothing fits me

skibelle Thu 26-Feb-09 19:10:00

I'm a primary school teacher and last year we had about a hundred Troys, Gabriellas and Harry Potters. The kids have to stand up in assembly, announce their character and the book that they're from, which is always entertaining!
Would recommend pairing up with a friend as Tweedledum/dee or Alice in Wonderland: blue frock and Alice band. Noddy: blue shorts, red shirt, nightcap. Cinderella: party dress/rags. The Ugly Sisters: Crazy mixed up clothes and a painted on beauty spot. Or if all else fails then wearing own clothes and going as one of the Famous Five is always a good cop out!

choosyfloosy Thu 26-Feb-09 19:16:43

memoo, why not There's a House Inside My Mummy? if you have a stripy top, wear that and put a picture of a house on your tummy!!

sorry if inappropriate - just hope to reduce the stress around this event which IMO tends to slide away from any emphasis on reading/books to the costumes...

janeite Thu 26-Feb-09 19:17:55

I am a secondary teacher and my daughters are in secondary school too now. I really miss WBD! Occasionally I dress up as a character for school but I loved making costumes with the girls too.

In the past they have been things like:
- Elmer
- Rapunzel (massive trail of plaited wool attached to a princess crown)
- Medussa
- The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe (all at once!)
- The White Witch
- Red Riding Hood AND the wolf - red riding hood gear plus wolf hands and tail
- The Mirror from Snow White
- Dobby the house elf and Fawkes the phoenix from Harry Potter

Easy things include -
Milly Molly Mandy
Pippi Long Stockings
Miss Muffet and the spider
Alice
Jack and/or Jill
The White Rabbit

Someone from The Cautionary tales could be fun too.

hazeyjane Thu 26-Feb-09 19:22:50

'Eloise', would be fairly easy, a black skirt with straps stitched to it like braces, white blouse, unbrushed hair, and a fake tortoise on a string.

supersalstrawberry Thu 26-Feb-09 19:23:15

dd has some fairy books that she loves

so her normal clothes
fairy wings
bit of glitter

and she's Ella the rose fairy or similar

hmm

GrimmaTheNome Thu 26-Feb-09 19:23:40

DD has come home from school announcing that various of her class want to come as characters from the Wizard of Oz and she'll be Toto as (having vetoed Aslan she knew I couldn't do lions). I don't think I can do cairn terriers either !

captainmummy Thu 26-Feb-09 19:27:57

I made an elmer elephant one year -cut out face and ears from BIG cardboard box (using the sides as ears so they flap!) and tape toilet rolls down to make an articulated nose. The prize went to a boy who'd just got a pair of round glasses and drawn a lightning scar on his forehead!

janeite Thu 26-Feb-09 19:30:30

Oh that is so annoying Captain!

Our Elmer costume involved a patchwork dress (not made by me!) and an elephant mask (made by me and then painstakingly coloured in by dd2 who was five or six at the time).

Alex Rider is a good one for boys who don't like dressing up.

Funnybones. Dead easy.
Left over halloween skeleton outfit, homemade tall red cardboard hat. et voila...

supersalstrawberry Thu 26-Feb-09 19:55:34

dd has just decided she wants to make her own book, about her, and go as herself - a character in her own book.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 26-Feb-09 20:01:00

grin sal, what a wonderful idea.

ramonaquimby Thu 26-Feb-09 20:21:15

dd is going to be Dora - orange leggings and a pink top. Easy peasy! ( I know not terribly great, but she is a Big Fan)

TheOldestCat Thu 26-Feb-09 20:21:40

OK, guess what book (not character - whoops) DD was last year? I drew a very rubbish spider's web on her T-shirt, adorned with the legend 'some pig', and she took her pig soft toy in with her.

It took me about five seconds. grin

ramonaquimby Thu 26-Feb-09 20:22:41

Charlotte's Web

TheOldestCat Thu 26-Feb-09 20:26:13

Ramon - you're good.

supersalstrawberry Thu 26-Feb-09 20:27:24

oooh change of plan again - she's got a witches costume so she's decided to go as WInnie the Witch instead

I daresay she'll change her mind again though hmm

TheOldestCat Thu 26-Feb-09 20:31:22

You can enjoy DD's hastily assembled 'costume' from last year on my profile if you like! I think Winnie the Witch is a top idea and may well do the same if the nursery is celebrating it, so cheers supersalstrawberry.

MorocconOil Thu 26-Feb-09 20:38:15

DS age 9 is planning to go as Captain Underpants. He might chicken out though, when it comes to spending a day at school in big white underpants, a red curtain and an egg-head wig.grin

Pollyanna Thu 26-Feb-09 20:38:24

my dd is doing winnie the witch too. ds went as horrid henry one year (not v convincingly!)

surreylady Thu 26-Feb-09 20:43:31

DS - This Year - Tom from Tom's midnight Garden (so stripey Pj's and a dressing gown) last Year - The Golden Compass from the Golden Compass - he made it from a large cardboard box and we made shoulder straps - he really enjoyed making it and it was unique. He was 8 at the time.

Aefondkiss Thu 26-Feb-09 20:48:06

my dd wanted to go as a unicorn - from some unicorn book she has, but I refused because we had only a few days notice from the school that they were to dress up, so she went as her favourite greek goddess from the Odyssey - Athena, it was pretty easy to alter an old night gown, and dh and I were close to divorce whilst constructing a helmet, from silver card I had purchased the day before the event, she had a broom shaft staff of wisdom and a cardboard shield dh and dd made with an owl painted on it - she won a prize, which was a book she,very ungratefully, pointed out that she already had at homeblush

ds at nursery went as an owl, from the owl and the pussy cat one year, we used an old t-shirt and some old material for wings, he took a wee pea green boat and a ukelele as his small guitar.... and I was the pussy cat (because parents were asked to dress up too, I wish I had forgotten that)

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 20:51:03

nursery rhyme ones for younger kids

one shoe off and one shoe on - diddle diddle dumpling
blue and white stripey t-shirt, blue trousers, shoes with home made cardboard/foil silver buckles bobby shaftoe
sailor suit/rain gear and sau'wester and a fish drawn on a paper plate - dance to your daddy

red top, black bottoms, smart button stickers/a cardboard bearskin hat, hobby horse - grand old duke of york

blue denim dungas, blue shirt, red bandana , blue flat cap - engine driver from Down By the Station

brown paper band tied round his head with string, bucket - jack from jack and jill

king costume, cardboard pipe, plastic bowl, cardboard fiddle - old king cole

all in brown, clock face paint, toy mouse - hickory dickory dock's clock

big shorts, a huge t-shirt and a cushion up it, rosy facepaint cheeks and stripey socks - Humpty.
Adult shirt as a nightgown, long pointy hat and a teddy/candle stick - wee willy winkie

all in blue, carrying a toy trumpet - little boy blue

king costume, cloth bag of toy money - the king from sing a song of sixpence

blue trouser, white grown up shirt, puffy paper hat - pattacake baker's man/simple simon's pieman

Divineintervention Thu 26-Feb-09 20:52:51

Charlotte's Web, black trousers, black tee long sleeved Tee shirt, with four extra arms sewn on (made out of rolled black felt, it was quite stiff and easy to shape into legs) these were linked by elastic to eachother and then around the wrists. I also made eight eyes on a head band, black pom poms with white felt circles and little wobbly eyes on top! This was more successful than any bought costume or more tricky leopard or tiger suits I've made!!

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 21:01:15

a caterpillar - dress all in green green. Join coloured in paper plates together with paper fasteners so you have a caterpiller as tall as the kid then attache to one ankle (tie with abit of ribbon or something) head paper plate on a stick. as the kid moves, the caterpillar moves. Tres cool.

Dd going as puss in boots this year, Ds wants to go as dumbledore! so I'm searching for a white wig and beard.
Other years we've had white witch, peter from lion witch and the wardrobe. Harry potter. Cat in the hat.

Jajas Thu 26-Feb-09 21:16:32

God I'm so utterly useless at this sort of stuff. I was going to send my twins as two pirates from Pirate Dinosaurs, but where or where do I get a pirate outfit from now that Woolies has closed down!

You can have all of my ideas - DS's school are not dressing up sad - Head has too much empathy with hassled mothers - but I like making costumes (maybe not quite as much as Califrau but she has lots of random American excuses to do it) - give me a theme and I am away (all night, generally, since I have no time otherwise).

I made DS a fab Captain Patch (The Night Pirates) a couple of years ago - women's size 8 red cord jacket from jumble sale heavily 'customised', leggings with patches sewn on, crossed belts and a cowboy hat stapled to make a tricorn (with patches of course). And boots with turnover tops. It's available for hire grin.

I like this stuff. I am certifiable, I know, but would someone like to lend me a DC to dress up hmm?

janeite Thu 26-Feb-09 21:22:10

Pirate costumes are simple; you don't need to buy one! Rolled up jeans, a stripey t-shirt, a bandana, draw on a beard, sorted. Can go further with a homemade sword, eye patch, parrot etc if you want.

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 21:28:06

actually Squig, we don't do world book day at all <sigh>The only time they dress up at school is for Halloween and both boys wanted bought costumes. I haven't made a costume since we left Germany [glum]. (they still dress up at home tho!)
(and you never did post your capt'n patch costume photos!)

I made a pirate costume out of a pair of jeans that my DS had just gone through the knee of - cut them off at about 3/4 length and ragged the bottoms, stripey t-shirt and eye patch (that we already had) and a bandanna. Made a pirate hat out of cardboard
DS1 is very anti face paints so refused but an eye liner moustache and scar would work a treat. Also had a toy parrot and a leather drawstring bag of choc coins.

choosyfloosy Thu 26-Feb-09 21:29:20

stealthsquiggle - stick an advert up a discreet distance from a school that is still in thrall to this event, and watch yourself get inundated with responses! You may have a business on your hands there...

There now, Califrau - how very dare your DS's opt for store-bought costumes shock? Do you want to go into business or are you too busy making banners grin?

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 21:50:35

TWO banners on the go this week so I am fine without costumes for now wink

GossipMonger Thu 26-Feb-09 21:59:31

oooh I am soooo excited about WBD blush

We have the Mr Men and Little Miss theme to work from with our own interpretation of the character and I have to dress up too!! grin

DS1 is Mr Funny.

He is wearing a size 22 lime tshirt from Peacocks (£1) with lime green legwarmers (£1), yellow washing up gloves and DH has made him a big yellow hat with a flower sticking out of it. He is going to carry 2 joke books as well.

DS2 is Mr Tickle.

He is wearing a huge orange tshirt (Charity Shop £3!) and I found some long orangey feather thing from the market for his arms. I cut out 2 orange hands from cardboard and put it all together and a little blue hat which we made today.

I am going as Little Miss Contrary.

Black thermals. Huge red/orange pashmina pinned all over me, yellow curly wig and glasses.

LOL!! How sad that I cannot wait for next Friday!! grin

My DS went as Twoflower from Sir Terry Pratchett's 'Colour of Magic'.
Hawian -type shirt with chinese dragons on it, 'Howard' glasses free from the Halifax, an old exercise book with prases in Bes Palargic and english translations written in it and some large gold card discs that I had helped to decorate as coins. I think he was 10 at the time and it was all stuff we had in the house.

Jajas Thu 26-Feb-09 22:01:54

I couldn't even make a cardboard hat to be honest blush. Have just purchased pirate outfit on ebay I'm ashamed to say. Trouble is if I don't I will just procrastinate and then the evil day will arrive and guess what? No costume, tears and recriminations all round! Unbelievably feeble....

gigglewitch Thu 26-Feb-09 22:15:20

ds1 - in year two at the time and cool for school, went as 'The gingerbread man' (horrid henry and co had been banned grin) in brown top and trousers, big black cardboard buttons stuck on and black face paint on his nose and around his eyes; also with a banner proclaiming "You can't catch me - I'm a gingerbread man!"
oh, and a box of mini gingerbread men grin in case anyone / fox did catch him!!!

traceymumof3 Thu 26-Feb-09 22:20:11

Last year my oldest went as Tracey Beaker, and the youngest went as little miss muffet, this year all the children are going to be pirates, which hasn't gone down to well with my 2 girls !!!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 26-Feb-09 22:39:02

What did you do for Tracey Beaker, please? [not that I think DD will be diverted from the impossible Toto]

PillicockSatOnPillicockHill Thu 26-Feb-09 22:42:23

my dd won a world book day competition when i dressed her as the illustrated mum

hippyish outfit and tattoos easy!

Califrau Thu 26-Feb-09 23:08:53

oooh gossip! 10/10!

Niecie Fri 27-Feb-09 00:31:06

DS1 is going to be Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III from the Cressida Cowl books.

I have bought a viking helmet from ebay, I am making him a 'fur' gilet, he can wear his roman tunic from last year and one of my leather belts round his middle. I might even lend him my large pewter celtic design brooch. (He will be wearing trousers too).

DS2 is going as fantastic Mr Fox as he was a fox for Percy the Park keeper Day last term and I knitted him a fox's tail with a bit of white fun fur at the end. I made him some ears by sticking the wool onto pieces of card. Having made that I intend to get some more use out of it!!

DS1 has been Charlie Bucket before now which is really easy - just get some old clothes, preferably too small, sew on some rough patches of fabric and make a golden ticket to cart around all day. I even typed the words out from the book to stick on it although it isn't necessary.

We live next to the school and looking out of the window on WBD all you can see are scores of little girls dressed up in Disney Cinderella dresses and boys in Harry Potter capes. Never send your child as either!!!

FAQinglovely Fri 27-Feb-09 00:41:11

DS2's infant school have come up with a brilliant idea for the day.

They've come up with a "theme" of "Bedtime Stories" - and so all the children will be going to school in their PJ's - armed with favourite bedtime story and/or favourite teddy bear.

MouseMate Fri 27-Feb-09 05:54:32

Witch outfit with hair plaited and a bow on end, carrying wand and broomstick with cut out pictures of a cat, dog, frog, green parrot.

Room on the Broom, Julia Donaldson.

Last year did mouse outfit (bought sadly) for the Gruffalo.

Buda Fri 27-Feb-09 08:13:54

DS's school is doing Book Week from 16 March. Am sure they will need to dress up but haven't been told as yet. Am equally sure that he will want to wear football kit! He does have a couple of books about football - 2 of them written by a football-mad authur Alan Durant who actually came to the school last Book Week so am not entirely sure the school will be able to ban football kit!

They will also do a book at bedtime where we bring the children back to school at 6pm in their PJs and they have hot chocolate and a biscuit and a bedtime story. Parents supposed to be in PJs too but I usually 'forget'!

nappyzonehasastroppytoddler Fri 27-Feb-09 09:16:34

My dd won a book token in nursery for going as maisie mouse as in crazy for maisie - donned dungarees, stuffed a leg of a pair of white tights and safety pinned to back as tail, stuck on some pipe cleaners and a snout out of a paper cone to a white baseball cap i already had and job was done.

ComeWhineWithMe Fri 27-Feb-09 09:24:23

Burgular Bill .

Black flat cap/beret
Stripey top
Black trousers
Eye mask
Black gloves with fingers cut off
Sack/large bag with swag wrote on.

MY ds looked great grin.

JumpingDizzy Fri 27-Feb-09 09:29:24

Am also outraged at the anti football kit teachers angry

My 2 are going at Dracula (ds1) and Frankenstein (ds2) They did want doctor who and James bond but I can't afford to buy them suits just now.

ChippyMinton Fri 27-Feb-09 10:07:05

Mr Strong - paint a cardboard box with red paint, cut out holes for arms and head. Draw on a face. Green hat, red longsleeved tshirt and legging/trousers.

Pesha Fri 27-Feb-09 11:44:49

Dd's whole school have to go as a character from Wind in the Willows. DD wants to be Badger but I cannot find my Wind in the Willows book (moved a few months ago so probably still in a box somewhere!) and cant completely remember what he looks like.

I bought her some brown cord trousers in Tesco this morning for £2, she can wear her school shirt and she has a denim waistcoat or a black one to choose from but he has a scarf doesn't he? And presumably she could do with some sort of jacket too? Anything else I've forgotten?

for pesha - there are other pictures where he wears a red velvet 'smoking jacket' which looks uncannily like a bath robe.

Califrau Fri 27-Feb-09 16:52:16

Califrau did you see I uploaded Cap'n Patch pictures (made me all sniffy and nostalgic - DS has grown up so much since then)

Califrau Fri 27-Feb-09 18:00:32

WOW

Buda Mon 02-Mar-09 08:36:34

Well DS has decided he wants to go as Horrid Henry - any ideas how I do that?

SoupDragon Mon 02-Mar-09 08:40:41

Lady Godiva.

Minimal effort required but not really suitable for winter.

GooseyLoosey Mon 02-Mar-09 08:55:28

Angelina Ballerina - stuck some ears on a headband and sewed a tail on a dress. Dd wants to go as the Easter Bunny this time - longer ears, different tail. No problem.

Ds wants to go as Lancelot. Spent yesterday making cardboard shield.

Buda - what raw materials do you have available? horrid henry would appear to have 'interesting' colour sense (although I found other pictures with jeans instead of purple trousers)

Indiechick Mon 02-Mar-09 10:43:35

Year before last I handmade a blue jacket for dd to go as Peter Rabbit. This year, I'm back working fulltime so she's going as Sleeping Beauty. Didn't help that I only found the letter from school about it this morning so wasted weekend when I could have made more effort.

titchy Mon 02-Mar-09 11:39:56

Hobbit - khaki board shorts, school shirt, waistcoat and cloak recycled from previous use on Roman Day. Will admit to not allowing bare feet at school though!

Violet Baudelaire - black dress (an old Halloween one) and black cardigan of mine, black boots and hair ribbon.

Both these creations known as the working parents' version.... hmm

Buda Mon 02-Mar-09 11:43:40

stealth - thanks! Horrid Henry is a hard one! Think I would prefer him to go as the hero of a one of his football books!

Don't have and am not buying purple trousers. Don't have and am not buying a blue and yellow striped jumper!

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 11:45:14

I absolutely hate World Book day. Every bloody year we have the same problem. It always stresses me out. They say dress as your favourite book character, does this mean then your favourite book character changes on a yearly basis. I am really not sure what to to this year, it just gets worse and worse. my DS also wants to go as Horrid Henry, but I really don't want to go out and buy anything. Horrid Henry just wears Jeans and a yellow and blue top. I dread this time of year sad

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 11:47:06

What age group is Burglar Bill?

Do you have/would you be prepared to buy a plain blue long-sleeved T-shirt which you could then tack the yellow stripe onto (and then remove it afterwards to return blue T-shirt to normal use)? Jeans are valid - then he just needs messy hair.

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 11:51:37

I have a yellow t shirt but it has a bit of red on it, I will have to look for a blue one or something blue to sew on. I expect it will be about 11pm Wednesday night ready for Thursday, it is usually something like that. Last year he went as captain Hook, but we had most of the costume and I only had to buy a hat. We are under a bit of financial strain this year and I really don't want to have to go and buy anything. Would someone please draw up a petition to ban this ridiculous farce. Why can't they just take in their favourite bloody book, why do they have to bloody dress up, it is always keeping up with the other kids too. Some rent whole costumes FGS!!

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 11:52:48

I am now off to raid DS wardrobe to see what I can find, please oh please let me find a blue t shirt I had forgotten he had !!

crumpet Mon 02-Mar-09 12:00:51

this year the school has mandated "the rainbow fish" ffs.

Buda Mon 02-Mar-09 12:13:01

Oh God crumpet no???!!!

Actually - maybe not too hard. Draw a fish shape. Colour in like a rainbow and pin to a t-shirt.

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 12:15:54

Do they think we have nothing better to do than make bloody fancy dress costumes Grrr angry

rainbow fish template for crumpet. If it were me I would transfer it to a cheap white T-shirt and paint it/ colour it with fabric paint pens.

<<disclaimer - I love this stuff, DS's school aren't doing it this year, I have withdrawal symptoms>>

ShauntheSheep Mon 02-Mar-09 12:26:56

Dd is going as Lola this year. So pinafore dress and long sleeved top and tights and clips with bows on in her hair.

Plastic glass with pink card inside nad a pink straw for pink milk and she has made a book called 'beetles, bugs and butterflies'.

So that was pretty easy.

GossipMonger Mon 02-Mar-09 12:40:08

ooh Daphne - you big ole spoil sport!

The kids love it and the whole day is lots of fun!!

DaphneMoon Mon 02-Mar-09 12:43:01

Yeh they love it, but they don't have the stress of making it. I have asked my DS three times over the week-end what he thinks he will go as, I have got the answer "dunno" three times. I have decided for him, that he will go as Horrid Henry. If I left it up to him he will wake up Thursday morning and say oh by the way we have to dress up today!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 02-Mar-09 18:31:42

sad I'm still no nearer a solution for my 10 year old DD who has to go as a 'goodie' or 'hero'.

Grimma - how about Pippi Longstocking?

AnyFucker Mon 02-Mar-09 20:11:47

Just William is easy

Just scruff up some school uniform (must be shorts with knee socks), cap on head, smear some dirt on the face and knees and make a catapult out of some twigs.

I had two other ideas but couldn't get ds to agree sad

1) bloke from 118 118- running vest and shorts, trainers, draw on 'tache, mad curly wig (which we already have) and stick or draw on the numbers on the vest. I suppose this isn't strictly a book though unless you count the telephone book!

2) Captain Underpants- pair of DH's Y-fronts worn over clothes, make a red cape out of summat and tie a white scarf on head to simulate bald head

DaphneMoon Tue 03-Mar-09 14:27:49

I've just ordered a jumper from Next for our Horrid Henry costume I was so desperate, it only cost £5 and I have a yellow top I can cut up and sew on the stripes. Perfect colour jumper though so quite pleased and got free delivery. Just need some ideas as to how to make him look more like the character who is only an ordinary looking kind of boy. Might stick his hair up messy and thought of attaching fake spider by a string as in the babysitter story. Feeling a little less stressed about it now. Just got to think of something for next year now early!

Anyfucker, our kids had to dress up as world war 2 evacuees last year, they all looked like just william grin

serendipity3 Tue 21-Sep-10 12:29:49

Great idea for the boys....robber from allan alhberg's 'cops and robbers'. Basically draw with perm marker pen black stripes on an old white tee-shirt, make a robbers mask from cardboard/fabric then I stapled a 'swag' sign to my son's black ruck-sack and he wore dark jeans, trainers and a flat black cap! Alternatively go as a skeleton from the 'funnybones' book by the same author - easy if you have an old halloween costume!

RachH1 Sun 20-Feb-11 14:45:27

Thanks for some good ideas - I've got 2 boys who don't really like dressing up. Pied Piper and Horrid Henry with Nits sound great.

Last year I sent one of the boys as Burglar Bill which was quite easy. Ordinary trousers, striped top & flat cap borrowed from Grandpa. Swag bag & torch. I made the eye mask from a sleep mask we'd got off the plane on our holiday. Cut holes in so he could see & roughly stitched to stop the wadding going into his eyes. He looked great but unfortunately not many of his friends knew who Burglar Bill was!!!
I'll have that!

Clairelister Sun 20-Feb-11 14:48:36

Hi last year my 9 year old went as Pippi long stocking -quite easy with pipe cleaners in her pig tails and a stripy top and tights. This year my younger six year old is going as the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland - just need a hat from a shop and some costumer jewellery, an old scarf and lots of safety pins.

MrsKanga Mon 21-Feb-11 21:51:40

My dd went as Minnie the Minx from the comics. Found an old black beret. got some bright orange wool and plaited it (as believe me she doesnt have black hair like people+me think!!) I attached them to the hat.
Got an old red school jumper and coloured black stripes in permanent marker across the jumper. black skirt. dirty knees..Voila!! she won!!!!

dizzy030 Fri 04-Mar-11 13:20:21

In the past,dd has gone as Little Red Riding Hood (easy), the Chocolate Cat from The Sugar Plum Tree(brown leggings, brown top, brown fur ears & tail)and Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prarie (long old fashioned dress left over from playing Mary Poppins in a show, and a victorian bonnet). This year she insisted on being Hermione Grainger (easy again!). DS is dressing up for the first time, and he is going as the mouse from the Gruffalo(brown clothes, brown ears/tail, whiskers)- thought this would be practical and comfortable while he plays in the nursery!

Geofin7 Thu 19-Jan-12 15:23:46

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

kcsunshine Thu 23-Feb-12 22:05:13

Fairy tales are hard if you avoid using Disney dresses (my 7yo thinks she's too big for them now I fear ...)

mashyup Wed 29-Feb-12 13:46:49

9 yr old ds going as Hiccup from How to train Dragon, just viking helmet for £2.50 from joke shop as school has said don't make it elaborate (I think they know parents a bit fed up of it by juniors) and 10 yr old ds is refusing to join in as he has a high embarrassment threshold, but says he might go as Fregley from diary of a wimpy kid, I'll just get some joke spectacles and mess his hair up. And draw freckles on. He always refuses until 10 mins before we leave for school so I have to have a quick back up plan.

reckoner Wed 29-Feb-12 13:50:03

Charlie from Charlie & Lola... jeans and a long sleeve top with an old white tshirt over the top where you write CHARLIE on the front.

Codandchops Wed 29-Feb-12 14:06:23

blush£10.99 in the local party fun shop for a Harry Potter outfit.

<realises has failed the thrifty mother test and slinks away before anyone notices>

BerthaTheBogBurglar Wed 29-Feb-12 14:44:17

ds2 (4) - the child from Dear Zoo who gets all the animals sent to him. Who doesn't actually appear in any of the illustrations grin. He's going to carry his toy puppy ...

Dd (9) - Camicazi the viking. Black skinny jeans, boots, long grey t-shirt, metallic belt, messy hair, bit of rope slung across shoulder and a pirate's sword. I offered to get her a hat with horns from ebay but she didn't want it.

ds1 (7) - Captain Haddock from Tintin (who he is obsessed with, having to hunt for all the books on ebay!). Black trousers, old navy jumper with anchor glued to front, black Captain's hat with anchor ditto

Boobella71 Thu 01-Mar-12 10:03:58

Alex Rider ! Genius my Ds is 8 but the same size as an 11 yr old so dressing up is really difficult! Got the books for Xmas too so costume is at least relevant ... Grrr hate this pressure to comply with ridiculous dressing up idea ... Should be kept to KS1 who actually enjoy it... Just my DD to sort who's 11 hmmmm (hmm)

mistlethrush Thu 01-Mar-12 10:11:57

Just William.

Shorts, my socks so wrinkly around ankles, shirt - school one, unbuttoned at collar and untucked (made Ds (6) happy grin), tie - DH found one that was appropriate, cap (sun hat) and school blazer. Oh - and you have to have failed to manage to get him to the hairdressers for a trim for a month or too blush

He was thinking of going as a violinist but I was at a loss for the tail coat.

Gwen67 Thu 28-Feb-13 19:32:41

Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for a Milly, Molly, Mandy dress for my daughter. She is age 9 but probably fits 10-11 year old clothes. Any hints would be good.

Thanks

Gwen

elsiej Mon 04-Mar-13 16:13:18

my daughter has won best dressed twice, once as Pippi Longstocking: one black sock, one brown, my black ankle boots, denim pinafore, baggy pink t shirt, sprayed red plaits made to stick out with pipe cleaner, freckles applied with brown kohl pencil and toy monkey. The other time she was Jacqueline Wilson's Illustrated Mum. Soo easy! She wore a hippyish sundress she already had and we found two tattoo sleeves left over from Halloween and then covered the erst of her with transfer tattoos she'd been hoarding. My son won as Captain Underpants. White t shirt with Captain Underpants written on it, trousers with underparts over the top and a very badly made cape, improvised from some old material knocking round the house.

biological Wed 06-Mar-13 07:45:51

Grimma - Nanny McPhee! All in black, feather in hat, a few warts and a good stick.

biological Wed 06-Mar-13 07:48:35

Oops guess she's 14 now and you're probably ok for wbd.

ClaireLouise44 Sat 01-Mar-14 08:51:43

My son needs to dress up as a nursery rhyme character on Thursday for world book week but I haven't got much cash. as anyone got any suggestions....I don't have time to make a paper-mashy humpty dumpty

emmaMBC Mon 03-Mar-14 17:27:41

The perfect last minute, easy peasy 'costume' would be this one I've found .... wocket in my pocket!!

How genius is that?!?!
www.mybookcorner.com.au/articles/1041-best-homemade-costumes-for-world-book-day

tallulalula Wed 05-Mar-14 11:25:38

I thought I could wave goodbye to costumes at school, but my 21yr old is teaching sports at a primary .... just received a sneaky break-time text that he needs a costume for tomorrows WBD .... HELP!!!!

5madthings Wed 05-Mar-14 11:50:45

Fab. Ds3 is going as fantastic Mr Fox. A waistcoat, cap and have bought a tail. Ds4 is going as Mr bump, blue clothes and making a Mr bump body out of cardboard and painting it, easy peasy.

Some fab ideas on here, love burglar Bill!

TiggyCBE Wed 05-Mar-14 16:36:25

I still think that you'll never beat Hitler. A black trouser and shirt outfit, swastika armbands, a copy of Mein Kampf, a pickled onion for a testicle in a jar, draw on a moustache, viola! A little Hitler to impress any teacher.

PipkinsPal Wed 05-Mar-14 16:38:04

The easiest I can think of is Miffy. Plenty of rabbit ears in the shops now because of the long run up to Easter.

motherinferior Wed 05-Mar-14 16:41:56

I have to say my kids take it as read they'll have to fix their own costumes blush

The 10 year old is going as Sally Lockheart from Pullman's Ruby in the Smoke series (if SL wore black patent DM boots) and the 13 year old as one of those heroines from endless bloody dystopic fantasies, involving black jeans black T-shirt black Converse.

jhardcas123 Wed 05-Mar-14 19:49:51

My very brave 10 year old son came up with the idea of wearing a dress (The Boy in the dress). He's got a dress an ready to go - don't know how many other boys would go for this?

iloveweetos Wed 05-Mar-14 19:54:51

Does it make me a terrible mother that I can't be assed to send dd in anything but just school uniform?

elportodelgato Wed 05-Mar-14 19:57:13

I have just say with DD and made a crocodile head out of cardboard so she can go as the crocodile from Peter Pan. 'Twas surprisingly easy and she is just wearing green clothes on the rest of her. Oh, and a clock for her to wear round her neck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now