Gina Ford

(215 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-May-07 09:24:45

Dear all,

We're pleased to say we have finally reached a settlement with Gina Ford (see here ). Just so you know, we are not at liberty to discuss the terms of settlement further so we won't be able to respond to any questions about that. We are confident, though, that we can all now draw a line under the affair and can move on.

We will continue to lobby hard for a review of the libel laws in this country with regard to websites, as we believe they haven't caught up with the way folks communicate on the net. We'll keep you posted on that.

Thank you everyone for your fabulous support in what's been an anxious time for us at MN Towers.

Best,
MNHQ

Hulababy Thu 10-May-07 16:25:47

It is in The Times too.

suedonim Thu 10-May-07 13:05:14

Hurrah, hurrah! It was dh who brought the breaking news to me - I guess that means he's sussed my MN habit.

Flamesparrow Thu 10-May-07 09:10:21

Another

feelinbloo Thu 10-May-07 09:08:30

thats gaood news that it was settled out of court, i think mumsnet has done okay to just contribute toward court costs, it could have been a hell of a lot more had this gone to court, gina fords case was on a no win, no fee basis, thats how sure they were about winning, so i have to say well done gina for letting it go, it was extreme yes and not nice but at least its all done with.

FlossALump Thu 10-May-07 09:01:36

Congratulations MN. You are more than reasonable. Thank you for all the time you have taken and sorry for all the stress you have been caused.

earlgrey Thu 10-May-07 08:02:28

Yay! It's all over page 3 of The Telegraph!!!!

toomuchtodo Thu 10-May-07 07:49:32

great news!

WideWebWitch Thu 10-May-07 07:28:41

Oh fantastic, that's good to hear Justine, thanks for that.

earlgrey Thu 10-May-07 06:10:46

Fab news - though like others a bit miffed about MN having to pay some of her legal costs. Hope this gets as much coverage in the media as the original handbags at dawn .....

Bienchen Thu 10-May-07 06:09:07

Well done and so glad for you it's over. Worthwhile sticking to your guns!!!

satine Thu 10-May-07 05:49:18

Well done, MNHQ - you were very grown up and reasonable throughout what must have been a stressful and worrying time.

But I'm adding myself to the list of those who will never now discuss or recommend Her methods - and I was once a fan and defender.

Really pleased it's all over at last! Thank you to everyone at MN Towers for fighting on behalf of us all, you did a wonderful job and (unlike some people) remained very dignified throughout. You're all brilliant. Sorry you have to pay money but at least it's over and done with now and you can get on with your lives.

I didn't know who she was until all this kicked off, now I do and am not impressed. I'm all for keeping the ban on mentioning her.

champs Thu 10-May-07 02:29:51

glad you can finally say bye to this part of everything!! what a stressful time for you all.

glad MN is here to stay xxx

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 09-May-07 23:29:25

<lobs pepperami into the crowd, slips on spilt Fruit Shoot and falls on arse>

Nikki76 Wed 09-May-07 23:25:57

We forgot cheese strings!!

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 09-May-07 23:24:35

morningpaper Wed 09-May-07 23:14:19

<lights up celebratory sausage roll>

Nikki76 Wed 09-May-07 23:09:01

<passes around Greggs sausage rolls>

morningpaper Wed 09-May-07 23:07:26

<lights up a Fruit Shoot and inhales>

Fab news - well done MN HQ
<<snaffles glass of champers. Passes on lunchables>>

gess Wed 09-May-07 23:06:11

Glad its over. I'm in agreement with anyone who doesn't want to talk about her.

morningpaper Wed 09-May-07 23:04:27

<eats a celebratory Lunchable>

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-May-07 23:01:43

Thanks for your bubbly everyone - have got a nice bottle of Rioja Reserva on the go as it happens.

WWW you asked about the situation as regards action against individual posters. As you know we can't discuss the settlement terms, but we can say that during the course of negotiations we did secure an undertaking that Gina ford would not at any time institute proceedings against any Mumsnet members for postings made during the period of dispute.

Best,
M Towers

adamadamum Wed 09-May-07 22:39:29

Ah, My congratulations agin to the best mums website, I posted earlier, but before I read the statement - much as I would like to say what I think of gina ford, after reading the Mumsnet statement about the settlement, I like the idea of a self imposed ban on discussing her at all. Not so it doesn't contravene the settlement inadvertently (sp?) but because we are allowed to discuss her as long as we don't say how we really feel if we don't agree...I don't think anyone should have the power to censor discussions in this way, and as ms ford has undoubtably made profit from mention of her books/methods from Mumsnet in the past, with free speech, I personally would not be happy for her to continue profiting from a site she tried to shut down.

What's the chance of a message on the home page saying as much? Mind you after the initial honeymoon period of being able to say GINA FORD again for the fun of it (!) I bet most Mumsnetters won't want to waste their fingers typing the name!

DontlookatmeImanervouswreck Wed 09-May-07 22:07:49

Hurray for Mumsnet

So glad it's finally sorted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now