Ads, awful, stop now please!

(7 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

anonymousbird Tue 22-Nov-16 08:39:49

On both mobile and desktop sites, getting overtaken by ads and it's driving me crazy! Site almost unusable.

I know there are loads of threads about this already, but hoping that a whole stream of new threads in "Site Stuff" just adds to the message to MNHQ as I've only seen a couple of comments from them so far!

INeedNewShoes Tue 22-Nov-16 08:48:50

I don't think MN are going to do anything about the Ads thing longterm. Yes they might solve this problem but it will only be taken over by a new type of invasive advert.

It seems that every couple of months some new method of obstructive advertising takes over the site. People complain and that particular method stops (but only after weeks of complaints), only to be replaced by the next ilk of advert.

Unfortunately big adverts that are unavoidable and video adverts that make computers/phones choke are far more lucrative than static adverts.

Its annoying and its about time that MN redressed the balance of site usability vs advert income!

Problem is that with increasing problems with trolls and with unacceptable attacking posts from regulars, MN probably keep having to expand the team to keep on top of the basics and they have to get their money somewhere!

I would happily pay £2 a month to have MN ad - free.

I won't install an ad-blocker because I understand that the ads are a necessary evil to fund MN.

Sorry, that was a long brain dump on the subject! blush

usual Tue 22-Nov-16 08:50:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anonymousbird Tue 22-Nov-16 10:34:10

I thought I had done ad blocking (years ago mind!), but perhaps has lapsed/needs updating. Can't remember anything about it - must investigate!

Thanks. It's v. annoying, nevertheless.

swooosh Tue 22-Nov-16 10:35:38

It drives me crazy, I refresh the page until it's ad free. I would happily pay a subscription service for ad free.

anonymousbird Tue 22-Nov-16 11:01:35

I get it ad free, for a short time, and then it just crawls in and takes over. And THEN I log off!

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-Nov-16 15:21:15

Hi there,

So sorry about this - we've been updating this thread: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2783483-Pop-Up

It's a bug via Google, we are working hard to fix it and in the meantime, we've blocked quite a few ads until it is fully resolved. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now