Can we have an automatic name change

(9 Posts)
NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Thu 17-Nov-16 00:22:25

If we post on a thread and it's really long, or it's been weeks since first posting, it can be easy to forget what name the post was made under. Not all sock-puppeting is deliberate, though I'm sure most is.

However I wondered how complicated it would be to write an automated name so you can't physically post using a different name, once you've used a name on that thread. That would save a lot of MN check and would stop people feeling terrified of deletions because of accidents!

00100001 Mon 21-Nov-16 15:40:14

what?

You want the thread to know what username you've used previously on the thread - and automatically use that one?

NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Mon 21-Nov-16 18:06:15

Yes! Why not? When it's been a really long time or the thread is really long, I would save reading 20 odd pages to remember. Especially on the app.

Thurlow Mon 21-Nov-16 18:15:53

Aren't your posts a different colour? You can just skim through and see what username you used

00100001 Mon 21-Nov-16 20:35:04

ys, just have a different colour for your posts - works a treat, even with name changing

NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Mon 21-Nov-16 21:47:29

I go cross-eyed on the app when they're really long threads, it can be so time consuming and I often miss the colour change! It's much easier on the computer but I never use that for MN, always the phone. I've forgotten once or twice and even had to report myself for it when I realised!

NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Mon 21-Nov-16 21:48:01

Also thought it would stop sock-puppeting when people try it deliberately!

FannyUmbongo Mon 21-Nov-16 21:49:07

How many names do you have then?

NoSuchThingAsThePerfectParent Mon 21-Nov-16 22:10:43

Well I keep giving away far too much and have to change the name and start afresh. I've just done it again tonight actually, so probably need to find a new name again. Grrr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now