Name changing....

(11 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

ClassmateHB Tue 15-Nov-16 19:26:52

Can someone clarify that repeated name changing is ok? As long as we don't reply to ourselves of course (sock puppetry is that?)

Just got a bit concerned when I read a few things this week. I never used to name change, but now do every two to three months, and worry that's not ok?

I had the same name for two to three years before I got a little stalked, won a couple of prizes, etc, so now I name change regularly to hide from stalkers

Bleurghghghgh Tue 15-Nov-16 20:31:21

It's fine, as far as I know? I switch between a few NNs because I'm far too identifiable otherwise

ClassmateHB Tue 15-Nov-16 20:37:00

That's my worry, I'm fairly open when I post about my kids ages, sen, occupation etc, so I cover my own back every few months by name changing. But it does worry me that I'll be seen as a newbie - guessing they have all my username on file?

Bleurghghghgh Tue 15-Nov-16 20:48:23

I think so, purely for security purposes. Is there not a way to see all the name changes, too or did I dream that? If yes, then definitely yes. But I'd have thought MN wouldn't share that info unless it was to protect your/someone else's safety?

BIWI Tue 15-Nov-16 21:42:21

The only time it's not allowed is if you're sock-puppeting, i.e. changing name on the same thread

MyWineTime Tue 15-Nov-16 21:51:55

MNHQ can see all your name changes so they can see if you are using it for sockpuppetting
It's fine to name change regularly.

cozietoesie Tue 15-Nov-16 21:53:32

.....changing name on the same thread......

With purpose I think should be added? (People sometimes make mistakes.)

BIWI Tue 15-Nov-16 23:03:57

Yes, that's true, cozietoes!

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Nov-16 23:19:03

MyWineTime

MNHQ can see all your name changes so they can see if you are using it for sockpuppetting
It's fine to name change regularly.

Exactly
As long as you're not talking to yourself then knock yerselves out

PhilODox Tue 15-Nov-16 23:25:47

Yes- what cozies says!
I am terrible for posting in one name, then forgetting and posting on same thread in reply as another. (because I have a specific name for one specific topic on here).
I keep having to report and hassle MNHQ to change or delete my posts blush
I'm sure half the reports must be people fucking up name changes!

ClassmateHB Wed 16-Nov-16 06:38:16

Fantastic! Haven't name changed for specific threads like others, I just completely change myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now