You really, really need a new deletion message, HQ.

(19 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 04-Nov-16 08:31:16

OP: AIBU?

Most of MN: YABU!

OP: Waaaahhhhh! Bitches! I'm getting my thread deleted!

And then nowadays you just delete for them & say "This thread has been deleted at the OP's request. (We don't normally delete whole threads but we will do so when it is to protect a poster's privacy.)" regardless of whether that's actually true.

You really need a new message that says "This thread has been deleted at the OP's request, because they threw a tantrum and we don't need the hassle."

AyeAmarok Fri 04-Nov-16 08:32:57

Agreed. The privacy message is doing my head in.

BeyondReasonablyDoubts Fri 04-Nov-16 08:39:20

Yep.

"We don't normally delete..." fibber.

I'm not gonna drop this grin but there was one in the summer posted in relationships by a man and part of it was "persuading" his wife into sex. He was called a rapist and the thread was "deleted at his request. (We don't normally delete, yadda yadda...)"

LIZS Fri 04-Nov-16 08:45:10

On app these messages don't seem to appear, the threads just won't load. I think the privacy issue has become more evident since DM, LW etc started to feature stories.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 04-Nov-16 09:06:09

Yes. Seems to me:
If there are genuine privacy issues, fine.

If its a thread which you would have deleted if someone other than the OP reported, it then it should have the usual 'this has been deleted because its gone tits up and toxic' or whatever message. The OP shouldn't have a privileged position, or the figleaf of implying that it was done for privacy.

If neither of those conditions apply, then it shouldn't be deleted.

HiDBandSIL Fri 04-Nov-16 12:04:28

I don't get the privacy excuse anyway. If you've shared the information in the first place, why are you given the chance to change your mind?

HiDBandSIL Fri 04-Nov-16 12:05:05

... and therefore I doubly agree that it's bullshit!

ErrolTheDragon Fri 04-Nov-16 13:23:12

Sometimes people don't realise immediately that they've put too much identifying info out there - other posters sometimes tell the OP they should get it deleted. Seems reasonable that this should be done.

NotYoda Sat 05-Nov-16 14:45:16

You have no way of knowing whether it's a privacy issue or not

If you think they are just upset no-one agrees with them, then I suggest you don't get so enmeshed in threads that you feel the need for the OP to admit that you were all right and they were wrong. It just never happens

If they have just decided to flounce, well sod them - you can privately think to yourself that they were a jerk. Or it may be that they posted when they were really distraught or something and have thought better of it. It's not the end of the world

Smartleatherbag Sat 05-Nov-16 14:48:18

So true. Threads are constantly being deleted on mn nowadays.

NotYoda Sat 05-Nov-16 14:48:32

"I think the privacy issue has become more evident since DM, LW etc started to feature stories."

Lizs I agree

VintagePerfumista Sat 05-Nov-16 14:49:50

Absolutely.

And we know HQ don't believe for one nano-second the OP thinks their privacy is being invaded, or that they're going to appear in the Mail.

The latest was the one about the car. Random kid scratches random woman's car, random mother with random user name thinks she shouldn't foot the bill, 11 pages of MNers beg to differ and it's deleted for her U-ness privacy? Give over!

At least HQ could say "because the OP thinks/says/claims her privacy bla bla".

VintagePerfumista Sat 05-Nov-16 14:51:11

I even say to people now "just PM HQ and say it's for privacy reasons, they'll definitely delete it then"

Trills Sat 05-Nov-16 14:57:37

This thread has been deleted at the OP's request, but please don't ALL go requesting that your threads be deleted on a whim because we really don't have time for that

NotYoda Sat 05-Nov-16 15:03:48

I don't understand why you are so annoyed. Just be happy you "won" and they flounced.

Is it somehow you think it's not fair?

I would prefer it that threads are deleted for whatever reason than there were massive unsatisfying bun-fights OR, in the real world someone out there who is genuinely regretful or upset that they ever posted

AIBU is incredibly unforgiving

hobnobsaremyfave Mon 07-Nov-16 20:54:45

Yet another bollocks example of this tonight with the tongue piercing thread
Pathetic behaviour by the op and nothing to breach her privacy just told quite firmly what nonsense it was to encourage a 12 year old to have their tongue pierced
Stop patronising us hq

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Nov-16 21:38:20

Hi there,
We hit the wrong message, sorry about that, it was supposed to be 'bunfight' as it had descended rather. We have changed it now, many apologies, it's been an extremely busy night. We will pass on your message about the specific wording of that automatic deletion, however, if it's getting on the collective MN tits (even if it's true that we don't always delete etc...)

hobnobsaremyfave Mon 07-Nov-16 21:43:05

Bollocks was that a bunfightt
And i take it the op will be dealt with for being as goady as fuck and telling a number of posters (including me) to fuck off
We really aren't stupid and don't like being treated as such

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 07-Nov-16 21:51:51

Hi hobnobs and everyone else, can we ask you to keep this to the one thread now as we can keep an eye on it more easily in one place? We confess we are a little taken aback at this response when by your own description it certainly sounds like a bunfight (not to mention the number of reports). www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2775131-Deleted-to-protect-privacy-seriously?watched=1&msgid=64748654#64748654

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now