What's the legal position with journos screenshotting threads and publishing them on their websites?

(9 Posts)
OlennasWimple Fri 23-Sep-16 15:55:44

I know that whatever we post on MN becomes MN's property, and that anything we post can be quoted by lazy excuses for journos in their own articles. But what's the position with publishing screen shots (including photos) of MN threads?

I'm particularly thinking about the DM thread about cleaning ovens, but the wider point applies.

Queenbean Fri 23-Sep-16 15:57:52

I imagine MN are delighted by the publicity and the new users who get here. More users = higher audience numbers for advertising = more revenue

Ego147 Fri 23-Sep-16 16:14:02

I'm just surprised the DM thinks that's newsworthy. Or even worthy of a web article.

VoyageOfDad Fri 23-Sep-16 19:02:21

I'm just surprised the DM thinks that's newsworthy

I think it reflects their journalistic a
Standards pretty well tbh.

DesolateWaist Fri 23-Sep-16 19:09:19

I'm seriously putting something like 'fuck you Daily Mail' in my user name.

OlennasWimple Fri 23-Sep-16 19:26:00

It's a very slow news day when "woman cleans oven door with dishwash tablet" is deemed worthy of an article - thank goodness there's nothing serious going on in the world right now...oh...

Queenbean - I can imagine it backfiring, though, if users stop posting as much for fear that it will end up being used for DM clickbait. I know there have been a couple of threads that I have held back from posting on, as I thought it was likely to end up being used for cheap online fodder

Ego147 Fri 23-Sep-16 19:31:16

thank goodness there's nothing serious going on in the world right now

This, And this again.

There's a lot going on. So many important issues. But in DM land, we have Brad and Angelina, a house that is split in 2, mumsnet threads, net mums threads...

Bombing an aid convoy in Aleppo is not worthy of journalism

DesolateWaist Fri 23-Sep-16 19:42:42

I'm intrigued by the house that split in two

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 23-Sep-16 19:46:51

Whoever threw that DM article together has limited comprehension skills. I'm not entirely convinced that they actually understood all the posts they quoted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now