Please can we have a Trans topic?

(258 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

LooseSeal Wed 21-Sep-16 09:51:17

The trans debate seems to be devouring the boards at the moment. It's spread across feminism, chat and AIBU and it's often not clear from a thread title that it's going to be another trans thread.

Considering that trans threads are accumulating in numbers and attract hundreds of posts and posters I think it's time trans was given its own topic.

WaitrosePigeon Wed 21-Sep-16 12:32:24

It won't happen anyway, but I disagree. This topic needs as much attention and education as possible.

schbittery Wed 21-Sep-16 12:33:57

also disagree, important topic, shouldnt be ghettoised

SeekEveryEveryKnownHidingPlace Wed 21-Sep-16 12:34:49

Sometimes, when you're not sure whether a thread will interest you or not just from looking at the title, what you can do is click on it, and if you decide you don't want to read anymore, click off again. That's what I do.

And no. Not until we have a topic for MILs, parking, weddings, back to school....

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Wed 21-Sep-16 12:35:52

If you don't like the look of a thread after you have clicked on it, you can always close it.

I think the trans debate needs as wide an audience as possible.

PovertyPain Wed 21-Sep-16 12:41:06

I disagree with having a separate topic for trans discussions. The issues that are being discussed should not be hidden away as they need to be discussed openly. To put it in a separate topics strikes me as a subtle form of controlling who gets to see these issues as they arise, like a soft closing down of discussion. Posters have a right to ask if they are BU regarding certain trans topics and there is no getting away from the fact that many of the circumstances that are being talked about greatly impact woman so also 'fit' in feminism.

WorraLiberty Wed 21-Sep-16 16:42:41

I agree OP

But it won't happen. I'm pretty sure HQ said no.

Soubriquet Wed 21-Sep-16 16:45:26

I agree

I do think that everyone needs to be aware of the controversy that is trans but they have been covered time and time again with the exact same issues and the exact same comments that nothing new is covered

ageingrunner Wed 21-Sep-16 16:48:13

I think it's great that awareness is being raised about the subject. And I don't understand what's so difficult and onerous about clicking on a thread and clicking off it again if you're not interested? It's surely something most people do often? Or all day if you're anything like me blush

LineyReborn Wed 21-Sep-16 16:48:33

MNHQ already said No.

msrisotto Wed 21-Sep-16 16:51:24

I disagree. Don't like, don't read. Simple.

user1472515172 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:53:03

I agree that ghettoising this issue is an incredibly bad idea. The current direction of trans activism needs be openly discussed. Asking for a separate trans issues topic right now is a bit like it would have been to ask for a separate "race relations" topic in 1940s South Africa. You might be delighted about being marginalised and stripped of your rights but you really are not entitled to expect that every other woman follows your lead. Put your fingers in your ears, by all means, but don't imagine that the rest of us are going to go quietly.

Waltermittythesequel Wed 21-Sep-16 18:55:29

I disagree.

I think it's important that the damaging, relentless trans-movement is widely acknowledged so women can see their rights being eroded and hopefully want to do something about it.

ftw Wed 21-Sep-16 19:01:59

Can we have a separate topic for people asking for a separate trans topic?

And I prefer to think of them as 'sexism and misogyny' threads or 'women's rights erosion' threads.

LouisvilleLlama Wed 21-Sep-16 19:07:43

I agree the Eu referendum was swallowing up the boards and it got its own topic don't see why this shouldn't

Kit30 Wed 21-Sep-16 19:11:55

Why not a separate Transnet? It'd be a real money spinner at the moment

milpool Wed 21-Sep-16 19:14:27

I agree with you OP. It'd be lovely to be able to hide it and not have to see all the bile that fills up those threads.

Helmetbymidnight Wed 21-Sep-16 19:15:57

Eu referendum was shunted away so...

I was on the verge of asking for a 'grammar' schools section but that's quietened down a bit now (hurray!)

ftw Wed 21-Sep-16 19:19:57

*milpool, which bile? I've not seen any.

LineyReborn Wed 21-Sep-16 19:27:49

I'd love a Misogyny-Free Mumsnet.

Hmmnotkeen Wed 21-Sep-16 19:33:17

I've changed my mind on the idea of a separate topic, but I wish people would be clear on their thread title so I don't have to bother.

icyfront Wed 21-Sep-16 22:02:54

I vote no.

The issue is one that can traverse many areas of the board - primary education, secondary education, pregnancy, chat, health, domestic abuse, AIBU - not just women's rights. It's something we all need to think about, discuss, because none of us yet know what the consequences could be for any of us.

I've read many threads here, and I don't see any transphobia. Indeed, I see support for those who want to transition in order to finally make sense of themselves.

Most trans people just want to live their real lives, peacefully and quietly.

What's happened is that transactivism is gathering strength and insisting on access to all those spaces where previously girls and women were protected. That can have a consequence for all ages in all circumstances. That's why it needs to be a discussion in all areas.

IBelieveTheEarthIsFlat Thu 22-Sep-16 05:36:09

Bloody hell, no way!. Women should not be ghettoised. This subject is too important and too widespread to be sidelined.

Fuck sake, if you don't care then don't click.

disneyprincesswannabe Thu 22-Sep-16 05:40:03

There is isn't there? In parenting there's a LGBT board. Two in fact but I think they are rather quiet so feel free to post any where you like.

MephistoMarley Thu 22-Sep-16 05:50:17

Obviously not. New women are reading and learning about the concerns with every thread posted; hiding them away in a separate section would impede this.
It's usually completely clear from the title what the thread is about and if not - there is a hide thread function. Use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now