'Watching' versus 'threads i am on'

(17 Posts)
Toooldtobearsed Mon 19-Sep-16 05:29:35

I will often add a thread to 'watch' rather than post an inane comment on it, or even worse, imo, post 'marking place', because although i am interested, i have nothing valuable to contribute.
However, when the thread goes poof, i am left not knowing if it was pulled for trolling, at the request of the OP, or for some other reason.

Now, i know it does not really matter in the overall scheme of things, but it is frustrating.

Could we not have a 'deleted threads' section added to site stuff, with just the thread title and the deletion message?

Would save me asking what happened to the thread about the husband who was a lot older than he said he was 🙄

RebootYourEngine Mon 19-Sep-16 06:14:48

This problem has been around for so long and every few months a thread like this pops up with the same question/solution but nothing is done about it.

I agree it is very annoying when they are deleted and you dont know why.

user1471134011 Mon 19-Sep-16 06:17:32

Literally just posted looking for that thread, as disappeared from watch list

Rubberduck2 Mon 19-Sep-16 06:18:22

Agree entirely.

Friolero Mon 19-Sep-16 06:20:59

I agree too. It can get ridiculous with all the place marking when people could just watch the thread, and I'm sure in a lot of cases it's to see the deletion message. Why can't this be displayed on watched threads in the same was as it is for "I'm on"?

moodykingfisher Mon 19-Sep-16 06:29:40

Can't actually wirk out how to watch a thread on the app. Anyone know?

NightCzar Mon 19-Sep-16 06:31:23

moody swipe left on the blue title box of the thread. Then you can choose Watch

GrimmauldPlace Mon 19-Sep-16 06:35:05

Agreed. It's really annoying, especially because it just encourages people to write a full stop or "place marking" etc on a thread if they actually want to know what's happened to it.

It's a faff but if you have email notifications set up you can click the link to the thread that way (or through your history) and see the deletion message.

moodykingfisher Mon 19-Sep-16 06:35:12

Noghtczar thank you !

Sparklingbrook Mon 19-Sep-16 06:35:45

I think it would be helpful if the thread could stay on Watched threads and the deletion message appear there.

So fed up of threads being deleted and a million 'What happened to the thread' threads appearing.

Its only ever really because of troll/at posters request or turned into a bun fight that a thread is deleted anyway.

Toooldtobearsed Mon 19-Sep-16 07:37:28

Yes Sparkling, i can't see that being a huge technical problem and if it stops me people asking what happened to a certain thread, all the better.

How about it MNHQ?

Rubberduck2 Mon 19-Sep-16 09:22:02

On the app you don't even get the deletion message (well I don't anyway) and as I never ever use the desk top site the only time I know what's gone on is if there is a TAAT.

We need something that covers both apps and desktop.

sianihedgehog Mon 19-Sep-16 09:25:49

The much older husband thread was deleted as the poster has been recognised IRL.

FeralBeryl Mon 19-Sep-16 09:37:56

Nope you don't get a deletion message on the app angry I asked about this a couple of weeks ago. It's an arse.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 19-Sep-16 09:48:30

I agree too - this is a pain. If MNHQ did.move deleted threads to a deleted threads topic it would also partially stop the interminable "what happened to x thread" posts

Toooldtobearsed Mon 19-Sep-16 11:17:55

Glad i am not the only one.

I never start a thread asking what happened, just look for one someone else has started, to catch up because i don't want to look like an overinvested nosey parker

It would certainly help - and if nothing shows on the app, i still think a section dedicated to removed threads with just the thread title and deletion message would be a good idea.

cozietoesie Mon 19-Sep-16 11:50:52

I'm at a loss to understand why MNHQ just don't do this? It doesn't sound to be that difficult and having deletion messages appear for watched threads would stop all those placemarking posts.

Perhaps MNHQ are feeling the strain of possible expectations with regard to future deletion messages? I'd have thought that a series of nice boring descriptions would be excellent for purpose. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now