Is there any way that bolding using asterisk could be made more intelligent?

(10 Posts)
ErrolTheDragon Tue 13-Sep-16 13:10:57

Given how many threads we have discussing GCSEs and A-levels, is it technically feasible for posts which mention A* more than once not to end up boldly mangled? I suppose we could do Astar but that's a bit too showy!grin

SoupDragon Tue 13-Sep-16 22:36:25

They won't go bold if there is a space after the *

A* A* A*

ErrolTheDragon Tue 13-Sep-16 23:17:15

I think it depends on what you're viewing it on - maybe ok on a browser but that shows as A bold A A* on the app on my iPod. There are posts where huge sections get bolded and the grades being earnestly discussed don't make sense.

SoupDragon Wed 14-Sep-16 07:11:11

I am on the desktop site on an iPad.

It sounds like there is fault in how it works on the app rather than a generalised problem with the way bold works across the site. Which is a different problem!

SoupDragon Wed 14-Sep-16 07:13:20

How it is meant to work is that it won't bold text if one or both of the asterisks is separated from the text to be made bold by a space.

SoupDragon Wed 14-Sep-16 07:14:59

It appears correctly here

DavidWainwrightsFeet Wed 14-Sep-16 07:16:28

I agree with Soup Dragon - it's fine on Safari, sounds like there's a bug in the app.

LineyReborn Wed 14-Sep-16 07:16:48

I doubt I'll need to be worried about this issue when DS's results come in, given the Netflix consumption going on.

cexuwaleozbu Wed 14-Sep-16 07:39:40

Yep sounds like an error with the apple app, I've never seen this error but I've never owned an iAnything.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 14-Sep-16 08:30:59

It's not bolding incorrectly on my iPhone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now