Dwelling for those who are impacted by the effects disabilities.

(59 Posts)
candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:20:50

Thank you Purpledaisy I'm back on the mobile site, thank you for your help!
I've cried today because my support plan has been cocked up for months meaning I am lacking vital support and the SW (who has been changed 3 times in one year) is talking in riddles rather than answering a simple question.
The constant battles, refusals, barriers - people generally have no Idea how a disability can affect every aspect of daily life, day in, day out. I'm actually sick of having to be bolshy and assertive to get the suppor the law says I should have. Im on the ninja thread and it's nice there, therefore... should we start a little thread to support each other and maybe enjoy it along the way?
The ninjas have a barn, the swearies have a cave, we could have our own dwelling as a safe place?

NotCitrus Thu 01-Sep-16 16:24:41

Why not? (stokes camp fire)
There's the pub in the Special Needs section but when I look it's all about dealing with offspring with disabilities and parents with ASD - threads for parents with other disabilities get lost.

Managed to tidy up a bit for the cleaner today, so now I'm exhausted. And the cleaner is annoyingly noisy for hours on end, but seeing as I can't hoover myself for more than a minute, not much choice.

unweavedrainbow Thu 01-Sep-16 16:26:01

I would like that... (26, wheelchair user due to Ehlers Danlos syndrome, severe MH problems). I'm struggling a bit today. But-did you mean to post in Site Stuff?

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:34:45

Welcome!
<passes out marshmallows for the camp fire>

Soubriquet Thu 01-Sep-16 17:00:36

Sorry to hear that candy

I hope it's rectified soon

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 01-Sep-16 17:04:01

Are the Marshmellows free?

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 17:16:42

You don't need to ask MNHQ candy, you just need to start a thread.

The MNers with SNs board doesn't show up on active and is a bit tucked away. We already have a women's neurodiversity support thread which is quite busy.

There's also a parents with disabilities board somewhere but lots of disabled MNers aren't parents.

Personally I wouldn't have called it 'MNers with SNs' but that was MNHQ's choice...

MrsHulk Thu 01-Sep-16 17:18:07

Where is the MNers with SNs board pls? I've looked around before but not found anything relevant

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 17:20:45

Here:

Mumsnetters with SNs board

It is very autism-centric, but it doesn't/shouldn't need to be.

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 17:47:20

Poster I wasn't asking Mbs permission - it's inly in site stuff because the disability thread set up by samcro in site stuff got filled up to 1000 posts.
It's great there is a SN boards. It probably doesn't meet my needs as a person with a dual sensory loss (deafblind) but there are of course many common themes faced by all those impacted by disability.

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 18:12:07

That's interestinf candy, is it the term 'SNs' which makes you feel it doesn't include you?

I really don't like 'special needs' as a term at all, for children or adults. But it's what MN use...

MrsHulk Thu 01-Sep-16 18:23:04

Thanks PolterGoose!

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 01-Sep-16 18:27:46

I don't like the term SN either and to be honest would never use it of myself and of my Dcs only in educational contexts when I have felt I had to.
I do think we need a place for MNetters with disabilities of all kinds.
The parents with disabilities section has always been a bit tumbleweedy and (I think) implies it is about issues disabled parents have with their parenting rather than more general disability stuff.

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 18:32:49

I don't identify as SN but that wouldn't stop me using it.
It's more that I think it's for parents of a child (adult or not with a disability, and not for posters who have a disability themselves.
I'm a parent.
And I have a disability.
There are posters who have a disability but aren't parents too.
That's why I've those the term those impacted by disability because that includes all factors - posters who have a disability and parents/Carers of those who have a disability.

bumblemouse Thu 01-Sep-16 18:33:57

There is a mners with sn topic

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 18:34:10

I do think the 'MNers with SNs' board was set up for disabled adults.

Like any board, it's what you/we make it.

MN is us.

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:15:01

Well I'll give it ago. I've never defined myself as a person with SN through and I don't think anyone else has either.

PigPigTrotters Thu 01-Sep-16 19:46:50

As none of us really like it being called Mumsnetters with SN could we come up with something better?
Not sure of how much tech would be involved, but might be worth a try.

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 01-Sep-16 20:05:37

MN's with disabilities.

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 20:10:21

Me neither.

However, the board is there, whatever it's called, those of us on the ND thread 'campaigned' for it but it's not our board. What might be best is if people start using it and then people who post there can make suggestions.

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:12:06

Ok I'll start doing that, good suggestion.

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:12:57

But in the mean time, if anyone wants hot chocolate with their marshmallows here you go brew brew brew

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 20:15:29

Because it's tucked away we do have to be pro-active and guide people over sometimes. I often PM people to tell them it's there.

There's a balance to be struck between being easily visible (and therefore open to goady fuckery and trollery) and people being able to find it when they need to.

PausingFlatly Thu 01-Sep-16 20:15:45

<grabs a mug of hot chocolate><carefully with BOTH hands>

candykane25 Thu 01-Sep-16 20:25:19

<watches flatly carefully>

The ninja thread is on chat and we don't get any goady fuckers on there. I think that's because it's full of Luke minded people and it's obvious it wouldn't be tolerated at all.
I've got a glass of wine. It's definitely been one of those days. DD has her first day at school nursery tomorrow and she has tried her school uniform on after her bath before bed. She's 3. She's so proud and she looked so smart.
I've survived three whole years of motherhood and now my baby is off to school. Definitely worth a glass!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now