Hide Poster Function

(157 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

I know this has been requested a million times over and I know that it is not a popular proposal but it is time that we had the ability to hide posters.

MN has evolved into a place that I barely recognize anymore - the lighthearted threads where you are free to have a laugh are few and far between. Instead, active is flooded with bun fight after bun fight filled with incendiary views that deter those of us who do not ascribe to the same views from posting. And these threads are routinely started by the same posters. I have been a member of MN for 9 years and it is a place I used to come to relax, have a few laughs and share parenting stories, good and bad. That is no longer the case and any attempt to start such a thread is met with eyerolls and accusations of "first world problems".

Personally, my MN experience would be much improved if I had the option to simply hide all posts by a select group of members and continue with the remainder of the threads. It is not enough to simply hide topics anymore as threads are often started in AIBU, Chat and Site Stuff in order to generate traffic.

PLEASE MNHQ, can we finally be given the option of hiding other MN members? It is a feature that is well overdue.

Mummyshortlegz Fri 26-Aug-16 19:12:23

Seconded.

Soubriquet Fri 26-Aug-16 19:20:42

I'm on the fence on this one. Whilst a hide poster is a nice idea, it could interrupt the flow on mn. You will have random gaps appearing on a page where you've hidden that poster but others are replying to it

MorrisZapp Fri 26-Aug-16 19:23:48

Rubbish idea and would lead to a billionty million bunfights. Not gunfights, autocorrect you silly twat.

StarsandSparkles Fri 26-Aug-16 19:24:54

I think its a good idea to have such an option avaliable

GinAndTunic Fri 26-Aug-16 19:24:54

Thirding. I would like to read threads without seeing the participation of certain posters.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 26-Aug-16 19:25:15

Completely agree Anne. I've been moaning a lot about name changing, but I seem to be in the minority, I see this as another part if the same issue. I feel like MN is losing its integrity, if that makes sense?

It depends how high your frustration is, Soubriquet. Personally, I am at the point where the confusion of seeing a post that said "At your request, this poster has been hidden" is preferable to some of the posts currently on MN.

How would it cause bunfights, MorrisZapp? No one other than me would know who I have hidden.

usual Fri 26-Aug-16 19:30:53

I'm not sure it would work with all the name changing that goes on.

I wondered that as well, usual. There must be a way to work around that though. Perhaps when I click "Hide Poster" it would hide any posts by that account, rather than just the nickname?

I don't know whether that is feasible though - I have no idea how the tech side of it works.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 26-Aug-16 19:34:51

As seen on the other thread usual name changing appears to be vital to some posters...

Arfarfanarf Fri 26-Aug-16 19:34:54

Can folks not just ignore posts/posters they dont like?

Like oh fuck, ArfArf again, shit filled windbag, let's see what else is on...

usual Fri 26-Aug-16 19:35:15

If it hid all their names it would be quite outing though iyswim.

MorrisZapp Fri 26-Aug-16 19:35:19

It would be obvious from your responses on a thread. And it would escalate bunfight because posters would be unable to resist saying 'hiding you now' etc. On polarised threads loads would just hide their opponents and the thread would cease to make any sense or have any point.

TiggyD Fri 26-Aug-16 19:38:08

I've always been against the idea. Things would get confusing with posters crying "why won't you answer X's question?" when you have them blocked. Or person A tells a joke, person B tells of the day their child dies, person C says "LOL"!

But now, I'm all for it. Now there is no moderation from MNHQ the benefits outweigh the problems.

Its not that easy though Arf. Not when the same people start the same types of threads all the time and across all different topics. It is hard to escape the inflammatory posters.

Chippednailvarnishing Fri 26-Aug-16 19:39:59

I do find it interesting that i recognise most people on this thread but normally I don't when posting in other areas.

Tiggy you have explained exactly what I was aiming at in my OP. The hide poster feature was not necessarily needed 5 or 10 years ago but MN has changed drastically over the years and this sort of feature is absolutely required now.

TiggyD Fri 26-Aug-16 19:40:32

It wouldn't be easy with constant name changing but I'd like to see the end of that.

usual Fri 26-Aug-16 19:42:29

Does anyone else think , eek,I bet it's me they all want to hide?

Soubriquet Fri 26-Aug-16 19:44:17

I bet some petty people will hide anyone who disagrees with them

Arfarfanarf Fri 26-Aug-16 19:44:23

I do grin
I also always think it's me they hint about not liking on fave/least fave mners threads.

I am an ego maniac with low self esteem 😂

usual Fri 26-Aug-16 19:46:12

Ha, me too, Arf grin

Arfarfanarf Fri 26-Aug-16 19:47:00

The other option is to stop caring, annie.
Easy to say, hard to do i know. But if you let people enrage you - theyve won.

If you can just think pfft...

Youve taken away all their power. And the need for a hide button.

Plus you can calm yourself by picturing yourself ramming a cactus up their arse. That always helps me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now