Backspace key no longer returns me to the previous screen.

(15 Posts)
ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 26-Aug-16 14:18:31

I MN on a laptop (I know! Dinosaur or what).
I like to use the keypad wherever possible rather than fart around with the mousepad etc.
I used to be able to use the backspace key to return to the previous page on the site - e.g. after I'd selected a thread from e.g. TIO, read the update, I could press backspace and I'd go back to TIO.

Within the last few days, this has ceased to work. It still works on other sites (e.g. FB) and still works as a backspace key in general - but MN no longer has that facility.

Is this deliberate or some accidental PITA mod that's occurred as a result of something else?

And if it's not TOO much bother, could you please reinstate it? Thanks very much.

MangoBiscuit Fri 26-Aug-16 14:21:00

I use Chrome, and backspace hasn't worked as back for a while now. Alt plus the <- arrow key instead now. Pfft.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 26-Aug-16 14:50:46

Yes, I use Chrome as well, thanks Mango
Trouble is, I often sit in the dark so would have troubles finding the Alt key automatically! grinblush However, I can learn...

ThumbWitchesAbroad Fri 26-Aug-16 14:51:40

well that works, so thanks for the tip.

Be much happier if the backspace would work too though...

nebulae Fri 26-Aug-16 14:54:11

This makes me so cross. Why do they have to bugger about with things that work perfectly well. Who sat down one day and decided it makes more sense for us to press two buttons rather than one. I would like to see the head of the person responsible on a spike please.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 27-Aug-16 00:19:08

grin

BertieBotts Sat 27-Aug-16 00:24:57

Huh, how weird. I hadn't noticed but it doesn't work for me either.

KitKatCHA Sat 27-Aug-16 00:46:13

You can get a plugin to make the backspace button again, it seems to be working fine for me

legotits Sat 27-Aug-16 00:53:04

It's the same on my phone.

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 27-Aug-16 11:10:35

blush I didn't even know you could have done that = let alone the new fix
(but then I'm a safari)
Glad this is a workaround anyhoo

BertieBotts Sat 27-Aug-16 12:57:33

Well hang on, it's not really a workaround if you have to install a plugin to reinstate what is a standard feature? Backspace is a keyboard shortcut for "back" in most browsers. Even Safari! If it works on all other sites it should work here (unless you're actually clicked into a text entry box of course.)

BertieBotts Sat 27-Aug-16 12:58:18

Oh never mind it seems it was literally changed on the browser, not the site blush Sorry!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 27-Aug-16 14:16:15

Uh no, it's a change on the site - it still works on other sites!

The Alt+left arrow key is another way of doing it but I'd hardly call it a fix. I liked being able to use my backspace key sad

MangoBiscuit Sat 03-Sep-16 06:05:35

I don't know that it is a change on the site. Backspace alone doesn't work for me for facebook, gmail, or fitbit at the moment. Going to have a bit of a google about chrome, and maybe rummage in the settings...

MangoBiscuit Sat 03-Sep-16 06:10:55

The extension is google developed, as their way to offer a rollback to users who dislike the change.

link to google store

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now