The term goady fucker/gf

(3 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

NavyandWhite Wed 17-Aug-16 20:35:45

I'm confused. I see it used all the time on the board. In all different situations but mostly when a thread has been started that consequently causes a lot of upset because of its theme.

Mostly it is not deleted by HQ. More often than not. But occasionally it is.

I'd like to know why.

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Aug-16 20:51:08

Hi there Navyandwhite. Good question! There's no hard and fast definition for a GF, but essentially it's someone who perhaps isn't exactly a troll but does like to post in order to stir the pot a little. Perhaps the difference between the two is that a troll is usually completely non-genuine and making shit up or posting deliberately to cause upset, where as a GF might just be a GF in real life (and therefore no different on the boards!) - we all know one, don't we? grin

In answer to your question about why we sometimes don't delete them when people point them out on the thread, it's usually because we've had a look behind the scenes and have enough reason to think they're genuine and simply have a different viewpoint. If we suspect someone is posting simply to inflame or they're upsetting lots of people with their style of posting and are doing it consistently despite warnings, we might then delete and/or ban them.

As we said though, we really do take each case on its merits (or demerits) so it would depend on the context and circumstances.

Hope that explains things a bit?

NavyandWhite Wed 17-Aug-16 21:00:44

Thanks for your reply Iona.

Sorry if I didn't make myself very clear but my main question was why the majority of replies of " goady fucker " are left up but a few are deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now