If a thread title and OP is misleading, should MNHQ edit it

(36 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 17:52:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 17-Aug-16 17:54:27

What thread are you thinking of? I'm struggling to think of an example that would warrant editing but I haven't been around much.

PotteringAlong Wed 17-Aug-16 17:57:10

Like what? Without a specific example I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 17:57:13

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 17:59:00

Have you reported it to say it's misleading?

If you don't report it, they won't do anything about it.

Additionally, I don't agree to MNHQ amending thread titles to be factually correct. Should they also be responsible for amending grammar and spelling? Or where the OP doesnt accurately reflect the title?

No. It's a chat forum.

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:00:34

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:00:35

Just typical of MNHQ attitudes towards groups affected by prejudice at the moment. Wash their hands and get the clicks.

I think that's really unfair actually. MNHQ have a bloody hard job to tread the line between allowing open debate and stifling anything that could be seen as an ism, in whatever format. I don't think they get it right every time but do think they try.

TerrificHons Wed 17-Aug-16 18:01:06

I saw that OP and the fact they posted the link and a goady title without giving their own opinion made me a bit hmm

Bit of a "discuss, ladies!" scenario

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:01:29

Well then there's your answer. Why do we need a TAAT because you don't like their response?

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:02:46

user1471184355 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:03:49

If only we were a group of intelligent adults capable of debate within a thread - then we wouldn't need HQ to play big brother and lead us by the hand to a reasonable conclusion...

Oh no, wait hmm

One of the points of this site is being treated like an adult. I'd quite like that to continue thank you.

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:05:47

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Wed 17-Aug-16 18:09:04

Funny you should say it was very DM click bate title, because thats exactly the thought I had, so didn't open the thread.

Now suspicion confirmed, I'm glad I didn't bother.

TerrificHons Wed 17-Aug-16 18:10:25

user if you were around for the "cancel the check" thread, you would understand how a lot of people don't RTFT and it can lead to exasperation even when the discussion has progressed.

I'd also suggest you change your username properly, seeing as you're so invested in the site.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 17-Aug-16 18:16:29

Ok, so in that particular thread the title was the actual newspaper headline, so not necessarily the OPs choice. It is also an interesting discussion in its own right, about whether everyone should be treated in a gender neutral way.

As with most threads on Mumsnet they tend to develop in interesting and unexpected ways.

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:19:08

lljkk Wed 17-Aug-16 18:25:45

Oh Goody, something else for MN to police. Gosh, that makes it such an interesting website to contribute to.

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:27:41

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:33:25

But what was wrong with the old way of just telling a poster on thread that they're wrong / have misunderstood something?

Why do MNHQ have to be involved in everything? Why can't we be grown ups and deal with it on the thread?

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:43:33

Justanothernumber2 Wed 17-Aug-16 18:45:09

Not quite true.

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:45:32

Why does it matter so much to you?

If people don't bother to read the thread then it really doesn't impact on you in any way? It's annoying, but certainly no reason for MNHQ to get involved

Egosumquisum Wed 17-Aug-16 18:47:49

Queenbean Wed 17-Aug-16 18:50:33

I have no idea if you're trans or not. I don't think it's an "othering" tactic. I just think that we are grown up enough to debate things on the actual thread and getting MNHQ to police thread titles and amend them because people can't be bothered to read the full thread is something that I do not support.

Others may feel differently but that's my view.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 17-Aug-16 18:50:35

I didn't think it was anything to do with Trans? In fact I'd always assumed that trans folk would adopt the honorific of their chosen gender - ai thought Mx was for those who didn't identify as a gender at all/or preferred not to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now