AIBU to suggest a poll?

(8 Posts)
Itsaplayonwords Sun 07-Aug-16 06:59:26

Has it been considered to have a poll on AIBU threads? Perhaps only those who comment also tick a box/click a button to determine if they think YABU or YANBU. The poll could be displayed at the top of the thread as numbers and the comments displayed as normal.

Itsaplayonwords Sun 07-Aug-16 10:02:00

Well the verdict seems to be 0 - 0!

FancyPuffin Sun 07-Aug-16 15:07:10

It has been suggested before by me , I think the general consensus was that it would prevent conversation and debate and arguments in the thread.

I think it's a great idea.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cozietoesie Sun 07-Aug-16 19:44:36

I've been on sites before that had poll facilities and they seemed to be mostly either misused in some way or ignored. I don't mind them at all but people seem to want to talk about issues and not tick boxes. I don't know how well such a facility would be used on MN.

Stevefromstevenage Sun 07-Aug-16 19:46:51

I think a polls and thumbs up and thumbs down would be a great options for threads. They are on a few other forums I have been on and they certainly do not appear to have stifled debate on them but they are usually a good barometer of threads.

Itsaplayonwords Mon 08-Aug-16 08:05:47

It could be done in a way that it only allows you to "vote" if you've commented. For example, on AIBU threads rather than having a "Post" button you have a "YABU" and a "YANBU" which submits your post as normal and adds your number to a poll. Although once it turns into a debate/discussion/argument then it would mean you'd have to do that every time you commented and wouldn't be reflection on actual opinion, just who shouted loudest.

Itsaplayonwords Mon 08-Aug-16 08:06:18

It's nice when you talk yourself out of something!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now