Is classism against talk rules?

(7 Posts)
buffalogrumble Wed 06-Jul-16 22:22:24

For example, using the word chav or chavvy in a perjorative sense, dismissing others' opinions on the basis of their social class or making negative generalisations about others on a class basis?

I don't want this to be a TAAT (how very dare I on the site stuff topic) but my post was prompted by a thread this evening, and I've wondered about it before, too.

fastdaytears Wed 06-Jul-16 22:24:26

It really should be. Especially chav but the more general pejorative discussions of class issue too.

DonkeyOaty Wed 06-Jul-16 22:24:35

might well come under umbrella of being a GF

I don't like chav and usually challenge it but tonight, seriously cba so was dreadfully rude instead

oopsie

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Jul-16 22:29:58

I agree with you OP. I've called people out for using the word chav on other threads. It's a nasty term IMO.

I've reported that thread this evening for being deliberately goady. It's still there though.

DramaAlpaca Wed 06-Jul-16 22:30:39

No it's not - it's gone now.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lljkk Wed 06-Jul-16 23:34:32

If classism is against the rules, then where does that put all the MN posts that are "anti-elites" or "anti-establishment"? I'm pretty sure that anyone who can claim to be an expert in anything is part of the "elite" that gets ranted against.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now