Name-changing and goadyfuckery

(20 Posts)
Maryz Wed 22-Jun-16 18:06:24

If a regular poster namechanges and posts an obviously goady thread (as in a thread that is obviously going to cause a bunfight and/or upset people), should they be added to a potential shitlist and kept on record?

A poster who has been a member of the site for a while, who knows that benefits/SN in school/wheelchair on bus/whatever threads are going to cause trouble should not be allowed to post under a namechange.

In my opinion, mnhq should email them and tell them that if they want to cause a ruckus they should have the courage of their own convictions and do it under their usual name (which is of course anonymous hmm - they aren't exactly risking outing themselves irl, are they?).

And if a regular poster does it more than once they should be immediately banned.

HoneyDragon Wed 22-Jun-16 18:08:18

Dude, you're going to need to change your name to CaptainObvious grin

Don't hold your breath for owt to be done about this though wink

BIWI Wed 22-Jun-16 18:09:33

Yes
Yes
Agree
Yes

who is it?

Maryz Wed 22-Jun-16 18:10:20

If I held my breath for anything to happen around here I'd be blue in the face.

Except for my post on the changing room thread to be deleted.

I estimate 3.72 seconds grin

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Wed 22-Jun-16 18:12:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BishopBrennansArse Wed 22-Jun-16 18:12:56

Yerp.
Tbh I think name changes should only be allowed on one board for threads of a sensitive nature, unless passed via HQ (like I had to when Xenia was stalking me)

Maryz Wed 22-Jun-16 18:14:28

Take your pick BIWI.

At least a couple every day atm.

Benefits are having a rest. This week it's "I've namechanged to post a thread where I'm obviously reasonable and the disabled person is obviously not, so I can get everyone to pile in".

It's not one thread, it's the cumulative effect of dozens over the last few weeks that are making me wonder if either (a) half the population are self-centred wankers or (b) there is some sort of goady invasion in process.

I can't work out which.

BeyondTellingEveryoneRealFacts Wed 22-Jun-16 18:17:33

Yes!

Though your flying fuck post might stay maryz, mine did i think they missed it grin

PolterGoose Wed 22-Jun-16 18:59:13

Agree.

BishopBrennansArse Wed 22-Jun-16 19:11:12

You forgot and HQ don't give a fuck, Maryz. Otherwise excellent précis.

Maryz Wed 22-Jun-16 19:45:55

Oh, yeah, there is that .....

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 22-Jun-16 22:40:56

Maryz

Take your pick BIWI.

At least a couple every day atm.

Benefits are having a rest. This week it's "I've namechanged to post a thread where I'm obviously reasonable and the disabled person is obviously not, so I can get everyone to pile in".

It's not one thread, it's the cumulative effect of dozens over the last few weeks that are making me wonder if either (a) half the population are self-centred wankers or (b) there is some sort of goady invasion in process.

I can't work out which.

It has been a cumulative couple of weeks, we agree -

We may not get back to your reports immediately, we believe it's our duty to give people the benefit of the doubt to some extent.
And yup to not holding your breath either - we are on the case of lots of things at the moment but please be assured we ARE on the case, we ARE making progress, it's just slow.

We hope you know that we are all just decent people working very hard to make this a great place to hang out, to keep the conversation flowing and make lives easier

Maryz Wed 22-Jun-16 22:47:58

Olivia, as long as you keep a sticky note with regulars who namechange to post threads that cause a lot of reports.

Because if they do it more than once, they should have their name-changing privileges revoked, don't you think?

I fear that the benefit of the doubt pendulum has swung much too far.

PandasRock Thu 23-Jun-16 08:56:47

Olivia, I don't doubt that MNHQ are working hard.

I disagree though that you have any sort of duty to give goady fuckers the benefit of the doubt. You do have a duty to observe the law, however, and inciting hatred against the disabled is not allowed, however politely it may be worded, however naice the poster may be under their regular name.

This isn't a situation where leeway should be given, it is zero to,seance all the way.

fanjoforthemammaries Thu 23-Jun-16 08:58:01

Hear hear

PolterGoose Thu 23-Jun-16 09:03:23

Very true Panda

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 23-Jun-16 16:46:54

we believe it's our duty to give people the benefit of the doubt to some extent.

Why?
If you are getting reports then people are being offended.

Samcro Thu 23-Jun-16 16:50:17

trouble is its not just the NC
its the gf /trolls who when reported you get told, that they have been here along time.
so no long term poster has been outed as a troll.....

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Thu 23-Jun-16 16:54:08

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Thu 23-Jun-16 16:55:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now