Hey can I ask about ageist posts?

(198 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:09:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KittyLaRoux Sun 19-Jun-16 10:13:31

I rarely see ageist posts deleted.

I hate it when posters say things like " she was in her 60's the crazy old bat" or similar. sad

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:16:48

ApostrophesMatter Sun 19-Jun-16 10:19:22

There is so much ageism here at times. A while ago MNHQ said they would be more proactive but I've seen precious little evidence of that. Report, report, report!

KittyLaRoux Sun 19-Jun-16 10:20:00

Really confused

I find the posts of the younger generation much more concerning....what with blow my blow accounts of their private lives, posed selfies with little clothing, the repost or you will die ones and the general bad grammar and spelling.

Is 45 old? I would say prime of life surely grin

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:20:12

KittyLaRoux Sun 19-Jun-16 10:23:25

Are you sure about that cos ya know you are old how do you know what you are capable of wink

daisychain01 Sun 19-Jun-16 10:27:18

I saw a post yesterday where it said the staff in M&S are all over 45 yo and look half asleep and so slow at putting stuff through the tills.

I thought what a nasty and stereotyped comment, like anyone over a certain age is slow and useless.

The more those comments are reported the more likely ageism will be as stigmatised as racism, disablism etc

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:28:58

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 19-Jun-16 10:34:22

Ageism is very definitely against Talk guidelines, so please do keep reporting it wherever you see it.

As you all probably know, we at MNHQ only see what you report to us, so keep 'em coming!

Thanks for bringing up the issue, it's an important one flowers.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:38:58

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sun 19-Jun-16 10:39:37

It's definitely increased over the last few years and goes hand in hand with IMO the post PB influx and, sorry HQ, but a.bit of a meh attitude to -ism posts in general.
You rarely delete ageist posts. I have stopped reporting them and continue to call it out on the thread.

DiggersRest Sun 19-Jun-16 10:40:10

Kitty your second post was blatantly ageist and condescending. Is only offensive when the age is going up hmm

Footle Sun 19-Jun-16 10:41:44

I reported a nasty one but nothing happened. Depressing.

KittyLaRoux Sun 19-Jun-16 10:41:58

Yes dear.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sun 19-Jun-16 10:49:20

I just checked the most recent 'anyone over 50 shoiluld stfu and not even look at me or I'll fuckin' 'ave 'em' piece of class from earlier in the week, and lo and behold, 'deleted to protect the OP's privacy'. Now she was a bit of a blabbermouth and presumably, had on other threadd, maybe mentioned the name, or the town, or whatever. But it ran for a few pages, and with a.lot of 'chuh, older people how dare they' stuff. None of which was deleted. And you deleted the thread for the OP. To protect her privacy. Not because of her, and other people's vile attitudes to anyone over the age of 50.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:50:04

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:52:58

DiggersRest Sun 19-Jun-16 10:55:18

Oh you're hilarious kitty. Must be your age, your put downs are so witty. Cant wait until I'm old enough to be so good at it.

chanice Sun 19-Jun-16 10:58:38

I think people take ageism lightly as is something that affects every single person no matter where in the world they come from, their race, gender, wealth, sexuality, weight and anything else you can think of that seperates people.
One day everyone will get old, unless they die first. It is everyone's future it cannot be escaped.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 10:59:52

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 11:00:41

chanice Sun 19-Jun-16 11:06:16

No not saying that, and it doesn't make it ok.
I'm explaining why other people may think it is ok and why their opinion isn't questioned.

Mamagin Sun 19-Jun-16 11:07:39

Mumsnet is ageist. Otherwise why do they have Gransnet? How much more fucking ageist can you get?
We are so old that our opinions need to be kept in a special place.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Sun 19-Jun-16 11:08:24

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now