changing username

(5 Posts)
Torchlight86 Wed 01-Jun-16 09:30:24

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, I've been on mumsnet a while and posted a few times but have become a more regular user since getting the app!

My question is I see an awful lot of people saying they have changed their username for anonymity, I don't understand how that works, if I changed my username now, would it be like starting a fresh then? As in no one could see the things I'd posted under my previous name?

Also has something happened to cause this need for more security? I can't imagine anyone would be too interested from my posts trying to find out who I was in real life is this something that I should/people are concerned about?

TIA x

Torchlight86 Wed 01-Jun-16 14:10:04

Ok so I realised that a lot of people post some quite personal things about their past and relationships etc so I can see why people wouldn't want to be identified, but I guess I'm just wondering if people are actually actively trying to find out who people are, or if people are just worried someone will read something and think 'hmm that sounds like Sandra down the road!' hmm

And whether I should be changing my name or not and what it actually does?

Thanks x

Jelliedeels Wed 01-Jun-16 14:18:50

Exactly that, I've changed mine as my family guessed who I was.

TheCladdagh Wed 01-Jun-16 14:23:12

I name change every couple of weeks. Not because I am disclosing any massively personal stuff, by and large, but because while no one could identify me from a few posts, any detail that struck someone who knew me in RL as familiar could allow them to search all my posts and put the jigsaw together and identify me. I'm sure that I've made scattered references to my age, nationality, the sex and age of my child and probably to the general area I live in, along with more colourful details which would, if someone were bothered, make me very identifiable.

So, rather than police what I say all the time, I NC regularly. Other people are much more self-policing and keep to a single identity. If all you're posting about is BLW or the price of coal, no need to NC.

If you change your name, and someone searches for your new name, they will only see posts made under that name, not your previous name or names.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Jun-16 16:03:21

Hi Torchlight86,

As mentioned, MNers change their usernames regularly for all sorts of reasons, sometimes to protect identity, sometimes just for the craic.

Here's how to change it: www.mumsnet.com/info/faqs#NickChange

Bearing in mind, it's a bit glitchy at the moment - but tech are aware and on the case!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now