Can we have a 'Deleted Threads' topic?

(92 Posts)
MamOfTwo Wed 25-May-16 22:52:45

So, I posted this suggestion on one of the many threads that got deleted today but I am starting a new thread to put my suggestion forward again. My suggestion is this:

Why don't MNHQ make a Topic called 'Deleted Threads' - when a thread gets zapped, it can be popped in there with just the title visible and a deletion message. That way, if a thread you have been following has disappeared, that can be your first port of call to see if it is there and it will prevent countless posters started threads saying "What happened to that thread...?" and TAAT.

Just an idea - might save you some work, MNHQ! If this idea won't work, it would be interesting to know why. Just a thought really...

RJnomore1 Wed 25-May-16 23:06:22

Great idea.

I just popped over to say sorry to hq about what happened with my thread and also, you guys have an awesome sense of humour !

SoupDragon Thu 26-May-16 07:13:48

I think this would definitely help lower the number of "what happened to the thread about..." threads that appear and have to be deleted.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-May-16 10:36:40

Hi all,

Threads that are deleted are still visible in I'm on with a deletion message. Is this more if you were watching or lurking on a thread?

SoupDragon Thu 26-May-16 11:20:59

It's more case of it being clear that there is a problem with people knowing something has been deleted given the number of "what happened to the thread about..." threads that get started smile

its possibly lurkers or watchers but I know I've seen a thread title that's interesting and not looked then suddenly its nowhere to be found.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-May-16 12:19:45

What would you suggest the topic is called?

JapanNextYear Thu 26-May-16 12:21:07

The Troll Hole...

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-May-16 12:24:08

Oooh, I like the troll hole!

But isn't it giving the trolls what they want-attention?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-May-16 12:25:27

The graveyard?

Nothing with troll in it...

MrsArthurShappey Thu 26-May-16 12:26:15

Troll Hole is perfect! So MNers wouldn't be able to start new threads in there, just MN moving deleted threads yars?

MrsArthurShappey Thu 26-May-16 12:26:46

Booooo! The graveyard is good. Or the Sin Bin?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-May-16 12:28:14

Yes, no new threads only ones that have been zapped. You'll only see the title and deletion message. It will probably expire after 30 days or something similar - we're having a think now.

Donatellalymanmoss Thu 26-May-16 12:29:18

No don't do this, why would you give trolls something to aim for?

The only thing anyone needs to think after seeing that a thread has been deleted is 'that was a troll I will now move on with my life and give the attention seeker no more attention'

All the pandemonium that occurs after a thread is deleted is just giving the trolls life.

YoureSoSlyButSoAmI Thu 26-May-16 12:29:48

"Threads that make you go 'hmm'"

Great idea. Some of them are very entertaining anyway and worth a read for the laughs - not to mention the good advice.

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-May-16 12:30:18

What will happen surely is that new threads on the main board will pop up linking to the troll threads, arguments get reignited and presumably you actually want to delete some troll threads for being disgusting.

MTPurse Thu 26-May-16 12:31:28

I think having a Graveyard would be a great idea.

MrsArthurShappey Thu 26-May-16 12:31:56

The only thing anyone needs to think after seeing that a thread has been deleted is 'that was a troll I will now move on with my life and give the attention seeker no more attention'

But they don't though do they?

Donatellalymanmoss Thu 26-May-16 12:33:10

NO IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

It will be a troll magnet. I can only assume all of the people posting here thinking it's a good idea are trolls.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 26-May-16 12:34:28

PurpleDaisies

What will happen surely is that new threads on the main board will pop up linking to the troll threads, arguments get reignited and presumably you actually want to delete some troll threads for being disgusting.

The threads will not be visible. Just the title and the deletion message.

Donatellalymanmoss Thu 26-May-16 12:35:29

Well more fool them. There is no point banging on about how annoying trolls are and about how upset you are for giving time and attention to trolls and then giving them more attention rather than learning just to ignore the fuckers.

DailyMailYobos Thu 26-May-16 12:36:21

The Curiosity Thread or The Urban Myths Corner

WellErrr Thu 26-May-16 12:37:54

I think it's a great idea, with only the deletion message visible, and 30 days as you say.

Dead Threads?

Or 'THIS is what happened, now STOP MAKING TAATs'

grin

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-May-16 12:39:52

Ah, misunderstood. If it's just the title and deletion message that's fine with me. I suspect other posters on this thread are angling for the whole threads to be readable.

WellErrr Thu 26-May-16 12:41:12

Quite often I report a thread, but wanting to see the deletion message I also have to post on it. This way would be far better.

Flumplet Thu 26-May-16 12:45:08

Deleted threads arent visible on the iphone app which is all i usually use. I think this thread idea is a really good idea!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now