Petitions

(13 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Maplessglobe Tue 17-May-16 22:41:10

Can anyone enlighten me? Ages ago, probably before the first junior doctors' strike, there was a link to a petition (about the new JD contract) that was deleted by MNHQ for not being in 'petitions.' Lately, I've noticed there are links to petitions everywhere and these seem to be allowed to stay put.
Have the rules changed?
Thanks.

Sparklingbrook Tue 17-May-16 22:50:58

I suppose someone has to report the thread before it gets moved....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 17-May-16 22:55:04

MNHQ doesn't delete them - just moved them to the petitions topic (if they are reported)

Sparklingbrook Tue 17-May-16 22:56:09

And the OP of the thread usually gets the hump.

Maplessglobe Wed 18-May-16 09:33:07

Oh, ok. Just seems odd if it's a trending thread and getting lots of traffic in aibu or chat that it goes under the radar.

I could see why the OP might get the hump if it's an inconsistent 'rule'. But I also see why there's a 'petitions' area. Kind of.

Samcro Wed 18-May-16 10:35:54

they normally get moved I think, I reported one last night(can't believe I was the only one and its been moved.
back in the old days they were deleted.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 10:20:54

Sparklingbrook

I suppose someone has to report the thread before it gets moved....

Exactly this. If they aren't reported to us, we're not aware they're there and so don't move them over to Petitions.

Samcro Thu 19-May-16 10:27:32

where is the petitions topic?

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 10:49:50

It's under Classifieds.

Maplessglobe Sat 21-May-16 07:01:54

becca thanks. may I ask why you have this particular policy?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 21-May-16 08:44:04

Because petitions are generally really annoying and trivial when they are everywhere, and very hard to have a non-blanket rule?

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-May-16 16:43:23

Maplessglobe

becca thanks. may I ask why you have this particular policy?

As ItsAllGoingToBeFine has said, most MNers prefer not to have the Talk boards overrun with petitions, which is why we created a separate topic for them here.

Often the same poster will spam the boards with multiple petition threads - in cases like this we'd move one over to Petitions and zap the rest of them.

We often don't see them unless they're reported though, so please let us know if you spot any rogue ones.

Maplessglobe Mon 23-May-16 07:05:10

Ok thank you! I've only come across non-trivial ones so far so that's helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now