Love books? Then come along to Mumsnet's inaugural Bookfest!

(11 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Apr-16 16:55:49

Mumsnetters, we know, are a literary lot - which is why we decided you deserved a books festival of your very own. This year, on Saturday June 25th, we're holding Bookfest, a one-day literary extravaganza for the whole family at Kings Place in London - right by Kings Cross train station. We'll have children's authors for the kids (including Liz Pichon on her most famous creation, Tom Gates) and fascinating, thought-provoking panel discussions for the grown-ups on questions such as whether we should still be Shakespeare in the digital age, and why we've all fallen in love with memoirs. There'll be interviews with some of the UK's most brilliant writers, too - and our first ever live Mumsnet Book of the Month event with the wonderful Maggie O'Farrell.

Events kick off at 10am, and will carry on through the day - you can pop in for a single session or stay until the halls empty out and bar starts buzzing. Prices start at £12 for an individual session, going up to £55 for an open ticket for the duration. Do come along - it's going to be a fantastic day, and we hope to see you there!

user7755 Wed 27-Apr-16 22:50:04

My very clever friend did the artwork for this! Very proud

InMySpareTime Thu 28-Apr-16 06:55:35

Oh. London again.
Any chance of having a MN event outside London, even just once?

wannabestressfree Thu 28-Apr-16 07:01:25

Are you doing disabled tickets? So the carer can come?

gruffaloshmuffalo Thu 28-Apr-16 09:09:12

This sounds brilliant, but it's in London. Can some things like this ever be done outside London?

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Apr-16 13:42:14

Gruffaloshmuffalo and InMySpareTime - point taken about events being held in London. Because it's such a transport hub, it's more accessible to greater numbers of people than other parts, so it does seem to make practical sense - and oddly, London is rather underserved by book festivals in comparison to the rest of the country. But we do understand non-Londoners getting a bit frustrated - we'll discuss further with the events team.

wannabestressfree - absolutely we're doing disabled tickets. You just need to email eventsgroup@mumsnet.com for a code to enter when you book.

user7755 We think the artwork is lovely!

lexy444 Sat 30-Apr-16 11:48:08

I just booked 2 tickets for myself and my son who is registered blind. Wish I seen that he might have been able to get a discount? Suppose it's too late to do anything now? Thanks

wannabestressfree Sat 30-Apr-16 17:58:00

I did Kate :/ not had an answer yet though....

AnneEyhtMeyer Sat 30-Apr-16 21:03:45

Yes, I have often heard people in the north say how accessible London is.

Says no one ever.

iklboo Mon 02-May-16 16:50:48

Ah, transport. Yeah. Makes sense. Cos there's only one train to, say, Manchester every second Thursday after epiphany when the crow flies widdershins to a blind gnat's left knee. And only then if you know the password grin.

evelynj Mon 02-May-16 17:44:13

This sounds great but I'm in norn iron. Sorry to also have to agree that London already has all the good stuff, Manchester, Leeds or Scotland would be good, (I'm guessing Belfast would be pushing the boat out too much!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now