Trending - I don't suppose you are yet ready to admit that the new(ish) selection process is bonkers?

(29 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 11:38:27

I mean, This Sleb Twaddle thread has been trending off and on for days. I mean, it's not exactly a "currently popular new story" grin

And yesterday there were two deleted threads in Trending, one which had been deleted for ages.

Along with a couple of threads with only about a dozen replies.

It's bonkers.

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 11:41:36

Oops, too many "I mean"s there.

And no-one else cares [sob]

tribpot Tue 12-Apr-16 11:45:50

What is the difference between Discussions of the Day and Trending? (Or does everyone already know that?). It does sound like the query used to decide what constitutes a 'trending' thread doesn't work, not very inspiring for newbies to the site?

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 11:49:29

I think when a zombie thread is 'trending', it's time to put Trending out of our misery.

MrsHathaway Tue 12-Apr-16 12:29:49

Trending is automatic and to do with how many views in the last ten minutes or something.

DotD was actually chosen by someone, like they choose which threads to publish on Facebook.

MrsHathaway Tue 12-Apr-16 12:34:17

I mean, never mind that the whole of the rest of the Internet uses "trending" to mean "lots of people are actively talking about or sharing this".

I'm with Maryz.

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 12:50:04

Oh goodie [excited] interested people grin

(((((hugs everyone)))))

In simple words, Trending used to be called Most Active. It used to show the threads with the most recent posts (most in number, not just most recent). Active, however, shows the threads with the most recent posts on them - so a zombie thread with one recent post might be in Active but wouldn't be in Most Active (clear as mud so far, yes?).

But when they became all trendy renamed Most Active as Trending, they changed the way they put threads into it - instead of being the threads with the most posts, they are now the threads with the most clicks. So of course, once a thread gets into Trending, it stays there - the very fact that it's there means that lots of people click on it and it stays there even if no-one posts, or if it has been deleted.

(With me so far?)

Active is still as it always was - the threads which have been posted on most recently.

Does anyone else think I'm a teeny tiny bit over-invested in this?

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 12:50:50

Oh, and MrsH is right DotD is chosen by MNHQ and they don't take nominations for it [bitter]

magimedi Tue 12-Apr-16 12:52:43

I totally agree with you re trending, Maryz.

And, yes, I think you are a tad over invested.

Why not think of other things - like CHRISTMAS (256 days to go)

<runs away>

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 12:54:59

shock

<cries just a little bit>

magimedi Tue 12-Apr-16 13:01:19

Sorry, hun.

<runs faster>

MrsHathaway Tue 12-Apr-16 13:06:44

No need to cry - I've finished all my shopping and wrapped it so the little monsters can't peep!

PrivatePike Tue 12-Apr-16 13:15:04

Completely agree with you on this Maryz. As ever... <long suffering> It's a mad and irrational way of doing things, and basically means I must now ignore the stupid 'trending' box, because typically there will just be a deleted thread or two in there, plus one with about 15 posts that doesn't ever get much busier.

PrivatePike Tue 12-Apr-16 13:16:20

And over invested, shmover invested! It's only because there is never a satisfactory answer as to why the system changed, beyond something vague about 'tech'.

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 13:25:41

I think a thread that attracts clicks but no further posts should be placed in Anti-Trending, tbh.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Tue 12-Apr-16 13:28:51

You are right Maryz. It needs to be changed.

Perhaps we need to stage a protest.

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 13:47:47

Yes me too Liney.

If a thread has been in trending for fecking hours, and only has 20 posts on it, it's (by definition) very un interesting and has no business being advertised as a cool, trendy, popular, newsworthy, current thread.

<ignores magi>

I would love a protest Rafa, but I'm not sure how to stage one. My polite rants threads get ignored.

Fiderer Tue 12-Apr-16 16:07:41

This might cheer you up, Maryz - I just went into Customise to hide more topics & after a glitch where you got "$something-style" as the only choice to view for a while, there are now 2 again.

New Mumsnet
Classic Mumsnet

grin

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Apr-16 16:38:47

We will expect some lovely artistic banners, Maryz.

With deleted threads showing up, to be completely honest, this is human error.
With Trending, we have to make sure we hit a button to exclude it before we delete the thread. It's a relatively new thing and so we're all still getting used to it. Apologies for this blush

With Trending, every 5 minutes we get the list of top viewed threads from Google Analytics and we just display the first 5 of those. So technically these are the Trending threads in terms of views and this is the purpose of the box now.

You can still always access the most active threads through Active convos.

Hope that clarifies things, but do continue posting banners optional with your feedback and suggestions.

MrsBoDuke Tue 12-Apr-16 16:47:35

But Becca, MaryZ has explained it before - if it's in trending it will get more clicks, if it gets more clicks it remains in trending, which attracts more clicks, which makes it stay, more clicks, still stays etc etc ad infinatum.

It's a perpetual cycle that feeds itself.

It's just silly!

PrivatePike Tue 12-Apr-16 16:52:33

Exactly what MrsBo said.

PrivatePike Tue 12-Apr-16 16:53:05

Just wondering, why did the system change?

MrsHathaway Tue 12-Apr-16 17:01:41

So technically these are the Trending threads in terms of views and this is the purpose of the box now.

No, Becca, that isn't what trending means. Trending doesn't mean "what people are reading"; it means "what people are sharing/commenting on".

I'm sure your advertisers are fascinated by who's clicking on what; I'm yet to find a MNer who gives the slightest shit.

angry

You haven't explained why the change has been made.

YesThisIsMe Tue 12-Apr-16 17:11:48

Maryz is right. Change your algorithm MNHQ and exclude zombie (ie those which have had no posts within 6 months and are purely there due to erroneous searches) and deleted threads.

Maryz Tue 12-Apr-16 19:46:58

Or change your algorithm to count how many posts there are on each thread, and put the ones with most posts into trending.

MrsBo has explained it beautifully.

We do know how it works, you have patiently explained it to us lots of times, we just think the way it works is wrong [even more patient]

grin

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<insert flowery banner here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now