Is there any reason why the Zombie Warning couldn't stay for a few more posts after the thread is bumped?

(53 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Mar-16 14:49:08

I think it needs to stay longer. Maybe 10 posts?

2012 seems to be a popular year to bump v long threads from currently. Bit tiresome now.

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 30-Mar-16 22:55:53

Hi Sparkling. Thanks for this. We will certainly have a think about it. 2012 was a great year though wasn't it?! blush

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Mar-16 23:01:08

Thanks Iona. What seems to be happening is really long threads being bumped the Zombie warning disappearing, then people not RTFT offering the OP advice which after 4 years is irrelevant.

MrsLettuce Wed 30-Mar-16 23:06:29

yy, a Zombie Warning at both ends of the thread would be most handy too. Is a bitch when you do RTFT only to find it;s eons old when you get to the end.

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Mar-16 09:14:54

Yes one at the start would sort it out nicely, because people are reading the OP but nothing else.

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 31-Mar-16 09:18:02

I still don't understand why you can't lock anything over a year (or something) old.

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Mar-16 09:21:43

Why is it only Chat that disappears after 90 days? Why is AIBU saved for all eternity?

Locking threads would be great.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 31-Mar-16 09:23:46

Yy, one at the top would be ace. And logical.
Or a mini zombie next to each timestamp on every post over 12months.

HeffalumpHistory Thu 31-Mar-16 10:35:19

yy, a Zombie Warning at both ends of the thread would be most handy too. Is a bitch when you do RTFT only to find it;s eons old when you get to the end.

Yes to this!

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 31-Mar-16 15:25:18

Hi all - thanks for all your posts on this.

Extending the warning and adding it to the top of the thread is something we'll certainly look into and speak with Tech about, but it will take a bit of work and so will not be imminent.

Do keep the suggestions coming.

SoupDragon Thu 31-Mar-16 15:31:59

Maybe colour all the posts on an old thread red.

Or lock them after a good amount of time.

GlacindaTheTroll Thu 31-Mar-16 15:42:29

Could there be two types of warning? If not posted in for 6-12 months, keep it as it is (not too old, might still be worth continuing rather than starting afresh)

But over 12 months, then an enduring one?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 31-Mar-16 15:44:16

Any reason why old threads can't be locked?

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Mar-16 15:46:09

Does anyone with good intentions really go rummaging for an AIBU thread from 4 years ago rather than just start a new thread?

TheDrsDocMartens Thu 31-Mar-16 15:50:20

Is there a reason they can't be locked? People regularly ask this.

WicksEnd Thu 31-Mar-16 19:17:35

Extending the warning and adding it to the top of the thread is something we'll certainly look into and speak with Tech about, but it will take a bit of work and so will not be imminent

^^ too right, I asked for this when the zombie warning was first introduced grin

It drives me potty! Especially on the app as the date isn't displayed until you open the thread.

GlacindaTheTroll Thu 31-Mar-16 21:23:49

sparkling it depends on what other sites they are members of. Because on the other one where I post a lot it is a distinct faux pas to start a new thread when there's a perfectly good one on the same subject within living memory. So you use search functions, and you find. If really can be that innocuous.

Sparklingbrook Thu 31-Mar-16 21:27:12

How would anyone know that there was a thread about that subject 8 years ago? confused Do people turn up and reprimand them and show them the ancient now irrelevant thread?

I don't think I have seen any innocuous bumps TBF.

TheDrsDocMartens Fri 01-Apr-16 07:33:45

If they werep

TheDrsDocMartens Fri 01-Apr-16 07:34:23

Sorry blush

If they were locked then it couldn't happen at all...

BIWI Fri 01-Apr-16 07:38:40

Sparkling is right, I think.

If I want to post something where I think someone might have posted before, I'll go to that board and read through the list of posts on the first screen. If I don't see something in that list, I'll post my question. But that might mean I'm only looking at posts made in the last few weeks or months - very unlikely that I've looked through posts from years ago.

IMVHO, people who search for these threads are doing so to either troll or spam the boards.

DonkeyOaty Fri 01-Apr-16 20:56:50

Hullo chaps

Adding my tuppence-worth:

There's nowt in the Talk Guidelines (at least on the mobile site) to say about Zombie-threading and how irritating it is to bump a long-dead thread in most cases

Is there a MNettiquette page (do I dimly recall one long long ago or was it just a dream #BobbyEwing) that could be repositioned or one created, embedded within the Talk Guidelines, please?

Cheers m'dears

Sparklingbrook Fri 01-Apr-16 20:59:11

Today's observations. Threads that get bumped after years and years are always pages long. Nobody ever bumps a thread with only a few posts on. <ponders>

DonkeyOaty Fri 01-Apr-16 21:00:46

Yes true, true

(Apart from Pram Lady, bless her)

JoyofSpring Fri 01-Apr-16 21:05:34

In my experience, at least one way old threads get bumped is after someone has googled the topic and that thread has come up and then they have contributed. Might also explain why it's often threads with more posts as Google might think it's more relevant?! I've almost been caught out that way myself! Not necessarily because they have been trawling through threads from years ago.

It would be great to have the zombie warning at the top and / or colour code the thread so people know they are old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now